• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

100.9 JACK FM

I wonder what format WDXO 92.9 in Hazlehurst is on now. I heard it broadcasting Jack FM a few months ago, but can't get a good lock on that station in Jackson. WJXN 100.9 is a station I can get a good lock on in the Jackson metro.

RF, thanks for alerting us that Jack's back. :)

I just checked the WDXO website. It's still Jack FM. Since 100.9 also gets into Hazelhurst, I'm surprised they would allow two stations in the same area. Even though 92.9 doesn't really make much into Jackson. 100.9 can make it to Hazlehurst. I guess they finally figure out that there are too many Urban and hip hop stations in Jackson

Does Jack FM have two feeds? I picked up Jack from Hazlehurst clear enough to listen. 92.9 was playing Prince and Blue Oyster Cult, while 100.9 was playing commercials and played Foghat coming out of the break. I was under the impression that all Jacks in markets below the top 50 had to play a national version because of the company that bought the rights to Jack.

Does Jack FM have two feeds? I picked up Jack from Hazlehurst clear enough to listen. 92.9 was playing Prince and Blue Oyster Cult, while 100.9 was playing commercials and played Foghat coming out of the break. I was under the impression that all Jacks in markets below the top 50 had to play a national version because of the company that bought the rights to Jack.
Jack is not a total realtime network. Each major market runs the format on its own, so they are not synchronized. In smaller markets I believe that it is distributed by Skyview (not sure on this), but I believe uses a system that allows variable stopset and service element length. If I recall correctly from talking about this with George Burns a few years back, the network delivers workparts that the local system delivers in accordance with its commercial load an other elements.

If there is someone here that is running Jack in a smaller market, perhaps they can explain it better than I just did. :rolleyes:

I can’t speak from personal experience, but I've found that my local Jack FM plays the same songs the Jack FM's in KC and San Antonio play. The three, however, don't seem to be 100% synchronized. I can generally catch the same song on all three of them, but it rarely starts and ends at the same time. I don’t know how much of that is due to a natural delay in streaming versus the OTA product, though, and how much of it is what goes on locally.

When Jack was on 105.1 in KC, there would be an area of overlap on the road between here and KC, but the Jack in KC originated its own content at that time. Since it got moved to 94.9 HD2 and a translator, it has begun airing the satellite version of Jack. I’m not sure exactly when that happened. Unfortunately, 102.5 and my local Jack don’t overlap in the slightest.

The old STORQ system Waitt Radio Networks used allowed for some local origination of content, including music. So, it’s entirely possible the Jack on 92.9 was airing optional content 100.9 wasn’t.

The original setup was Top50 and above markets were locally programmed and had to be jockless for 1 yr min. The markets below 50 were to use sat provided programming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom