• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

10/1/19 Rating

as expected KXOL FM drops and KLLi Rises again david was right where it might be at kxol 2.1 and klli at 1.8 but KRRL drops 2.3 and now KRTH back at #2 at 5.6 and what u think

as expected KXOL FM drops and KLLi Rises again david was right where it might be at kxol 2.1 and klli at 1.8 but KRRL drops 2.3 and now KRTH back at #2 at 5.6 and what u think

With two reggaeton stations available, some Hispanics who listened to KPWR and KRRL may change their listening patterns.

The biggest well one of the biggest take aways is how alt 98.7 has a decent lead on kroq. I take it thats partially because the woody show in the morning or at least part of the reason. Hmmm what is kroq doin wrong? I think overall kroq is better. I love stryker and klein doin afternoons and fridays free for all. I do like the woody show on alt 98.7. Get it together kroq. I like ya but ur gettin beat by iheart media. Both ihearts chr and alt stations are beating entercoms chr and alt station in los angeles :(

Rock is doin pretty well with the rock of southern california 95.5 KLOS. I do miss jonsey and his jukebox daily. Only once a week is not enough :(

Both ihearts chr and alt stations are beating entercoms chr and alt station in los angeles :(

They're doing very well in most major markets. Contrary to the conventional wisdom, iHeart is a formidable competitor. They hire very smart people who know how to get it done. So does Entercom, but let's face it: KROQ has been coasting for a while in LA.

The biggest well one of the biggest take aways is how alt 98.7 has a decent lead on kroq. I take it thats partially because the woody show in the morning or at least part of the reason. Hmmm what is kroq doin wrong? I think overall kroq is better. I love stryker and klein doin afternoons and fridays free for all. I do like the woody show on alt 98.7. Get it together kroq. I like ya but ur gettin beat by iheart media. Both ihearts chr and alt stations are beating entercoms chr and alt station in los angeles :(

In 25-54, both stations have a 0.2 rating so they are tied as far as advertisers are concerned.

KYSR has benefited from the fragmentation of alt rock, which puts the heritage of KROQ on the line.

On the other hand, KIIS has 4 decades of being at the top in the market and in CHR, and KAMP does not have any unique quality to make it different to some of the audience.

What do u think kroq needs to do? They keep falling not rising? I wonder if alt 98.7 will take over as top biller over kroq soon?

In 2018, the two billed almost identically. In other words, a tie in billing and a tie in 25-54 ratings.

It's funny, was listening to Woody show on my way to work this morning and right after they played 21 Pilots, one of them talks about how songs are about feelings and skinny jeans now a days. The others on the show says they miss the Limp Bizkit-Korn era of Alternative. Afterwards they make a comment that there is some good new and heavier alternative music, you just have to convince the program directors to get it on the radio. They say how kids are streaming it anyway so why doesn't radio play it.

Along those lines, I prefer Alt 98.7 over KROQ nowadays. KROQ relies a lot of older alternative hits that are either not familiar to the younger kids or just stale and played out, while Alt plays more newer stuff in rotation (although Alt 98.7 also throws in older stuff from time to time).

Is there room for 2 Alt Rockers in LA?

The big question is whether or not LA can support two alternative rock stations; and KROQ could actually end up being the station that dumps the format after almost 40 years. Perhaps KROQ could go with an active rock lean to differentiate it from Alt 98.7. I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are regarding this.

Perhaps KROQ could go with an active rock lean to differentiate it from Alt 98.7. I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are regarding this.

As if active rock would improve their numbers? It draws on the same limited audience base.

My sense about KROQ is the problem isn't strictly the format.

Or maybe KROQ can try an alternative gold format? Kind of like how KDAY is classic hip-hop. Not sure how well tested this format is, but it would focus on the songs during KROQ's heyday.
Similar to classic alternative and lithium on XM

La has supported 2 alt stations for over 10 years. I dont see that changing anytime soon. Be interesting to see if bean leaving kroq will hurt mornings? I say get randy wang from the failed kabc n put him on the morning show. Very funny man.

KROQ feasts too much on burnt to crisp hits from the last 20 years

My sense about KROQ is the problem isn't strictly the format.

Indeed. It is the formatics. KROQ's pedigree is music discovery, whereas the current approach is play it safe, with way too many recurrents. A random check right now (10/3) shows they just played back to back these burnt to the crisp tunes: Black Hole Sun by SOUNDGARDEN (1994) as well as Best Of You by Foo Fighters (2005). Looking further back, two songs prior to that was the 14-year old Pardon Me by INCUBUS (1995); two songs before that was Dani California by Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006). A bit earlier was Alive by Pearl Jam (1991). Old are way over-played on the current KROQ despite these hits being a decade, to two-decades plus in age.

I'm not saying that these ALT hits from back in the day shouldn't be played, rather the issue is that they formulate the thrust of the KROQ playlist circa 2019, and all of these are tired, stale, burnt to the crisp. They should be occasional drop-ins. KROQ needs to keep the format fresh and not rely on saturating the air with Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, etc.

KROQ needs to keep the format fresh and not rely on saturating the air with Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, etc.

Except those are the artists people know. If the current music attracted more people, then it might work. But you're not going to solve the audience problem by playing more unknown music by unknown artists. The reason you don't hear more of it is when they play a new song, they can literally see the dials tuning over to Alt. They can pinpoint which songs cause tune-out. So to you it may be stale, but doing the opposite won't work either. And you don't see iHeart taking any big risks either for the same reason.

The big question is whether or not LA can support two alternative rock stations; and KROQ could actually end up being the station that dumps the format after almost 40 years. Perhaps KROQ could go with an active rock lean to differentiate it from Alt 98.7. I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are regarding this.

Both stations are very large billers. There is every indication that the market can support two alternative stations, with very high billing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom