• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1 World Trade Center FM

Maybe a NY METV FM edition, like they do in Chicago. A deep oldies station.

The first thing to look at is the composition of the smallish area the station covers. There is essentially no signal due north, and is essentially a Brooklyn station with a bit of the NJ part of the market out as far as Elizabeth.

https://fccdata.org/?call=W284BW&facid=&city=&state=&ccode=1&country=US has a full 60 dbu coverage map.

If the station adds a skill Alexa can interpret and does a robust app that is easy to access, it may get some additional traction. But as an over the air signal, it is limited to the small area the map describes.

So what is the composition of those areas? I think we can say that it's likely that reggaeton would do better than country, but that is oversimplification. We have to find out, also, what the advertiser base for any format appealing to that area might be. I do have the feeling that a format based on old songs for even older non-Hispanic white folks is not going to be the right answer.

Given the sizable number of unlicensed stations in the coverage area serving the West Indian community, a Caribbean format would not surprise me. Perhaps the signal would be leased to a current or former operator of such a station, that wants to go "legit." I am aware that existing station WVIP 93.5 already serves the West Indian community. But they air mostly infomercials.
Or one of several stations aimed at the Haitian community currently on FM subcarriers could lease time. A third possibility is that one of the two Russian services currently on HD2's could move to the new station.

Last edited:
Given the sizable number of unlicensed stations in the coverage area serving the West Indian community, a Caribbean format would not surprise me. Perhaps the signal would be leased to a current or former operator of such a station, that wants to go "legit." I am aware that existing station WVIP 93.5 already serves the West Indian community. But they air mostly infomercials.
Or one of several stations aimed at the Haitian community currently on FM subcarriers could lease time. A third possibility is that one of the two Russian services currently on HD2's could move to the new station.

One of the issues here is that, despite being a translator, this station has high expenses, starting with the transmitter site rental and the HD-2 lease. I wonder if any of the particular West Indian community economies can support such an effort, keeping in mind that this is not a homogenized group and has a variety of accents, languages and tastes.

The Haitian option may be real, but is there enough interest in advertising in Kreyol to Haitians to sustain such an effort?

The Russians, on the other hand, seem to have money. Without getting into a political discussion, there seems to be a greater commonality across that community. On the other hand, going from several days of playing New York songs to Russian seems somewhat radical!

in addition to the possible uses by ethnic broadcasters I mentioned above, perhaps the new signal could be leased by an existing station, such as WFUV 90.7, that has poor coverage in areas such as Brooklyn and lower Manhattan. 'FUV currently rebroadcasts its morning show on WNYE 91.5 and has boosters in Manhattan. Of course such a move would only be justified if the increase in listeners results in enough donations to at least cover the added expense of leasing the 104.7 signal.
I'm not sure whether WNBM 103.9 and WVIP 93.5 also have signal issues in the area covered by this translator. They broadcast from the same tower as WFUV.

But the power is so limited so as to not interfere with 104.3 or 104.7. Perhaps after this test some of the ESB FM’s might consider the move to 1WTC (provided their coverage is equal or better).

But the power is so limited so as to not interfere with 104.3 or 104.7. Perhaps after this test some of the ESB FM’s might consider the move to 1WTC (provided their coverage is equal or better).

101.9 tried a move to the WTC back in the 1990s. It did not work out...they moved back to ESB due to multipath issues. Something tells me that ESB is a superior FM site.
If a station moves to WTC, they'll also have to reduce power to compensate for the additional height.

They will have to reduce their power but they will have additional height. Supposedly this antenna will do a better job of minimizing multipath to midtown.

The main issue is that the ESB site is better at putting a signal over the counties that are in the New York Metro Survey Area than the 1WTC location. 1WTC puts more signal over the ocean and less towards the metro counties to the north and northwest. It also puts signal towards counties to the south that are not in the rated market.

In my opinion, the additional reduction in power gets stations closer to the "too high/too low" situation of "having a bad signal everywhere due to the power sacrifice needed to gain height.

Change stunning format to America song on 104.7 For 9/11

Understood... but why did the TV stations all move back to 1WTC?

Most TV viewing is not over the air, and is definitely not on mobile or portable devices. And the ratings survey area is different.

Last edited:
Most TV viewing is not over the air, and is definitely not on mobile or portable devices. And the ratings survey are is different.

I have an engineer friend who believes in receiving TV signals through the air rather than cable, and happily views the NY channels via his roof antenna in eastern PA. He also watches some of the digital subchannels this way.

I have an engineer friend who believes in receiving TV signals through the air rather than cable, and happily views the NY channels via his roof antenna in eastern PA. He also watches some of the digital subchannels this way.

IMHO you engineer friend is correct. First, the OTA bandwidth is generally greater than most cable system “channels”. * Once the cable systems deliver 4K without a lot of digital compression it shouldn’t matter that much. I have OTA for my home and it is a better picture than the old cable system"s “HD”. It is also $80 a month cheaper even after we play for Sling and Netflix which makes it even better picture.

*the HD subchannels can have a lower data rate.

Videophiles (have I just made up a word?) probably make up an even tinier percentage of television users than audiophiles do of radio users. Micro-niches, both, the extreme outliers of the outlier set.

Videophiles (have I just made up a word?) probably make up an even tinier percentage of television users than audiophiles do of radio users. Micro-niches, both, the extreme outliers of the outlier set.

Absolutely...he's also a ham radio operator. Outlier of outliers.

How much "stunt time" does 104.7/93.1 HD2 need? When will we hear the actual format?

Not necessarily "stunt time." The FCC mandates test time with stations that have potential interference problems. That's the case here. It could last 3-6 months, depending on the results.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom