• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

02/17/09 will go digital and then this next AM radio goodbye too by Sept. 2009?

A

AlvaJr

After switching analog to digital by February 17, 2009, my dad told me that on September 2009, the AM radio will probably discontinued too and goes HD Radio with FM and not the AM anymore because my dad heard it on the news.

Re: 02/17/09 will go digital and then this next AM radio goodbye too by Sept. 20

AlvaJr said:
After switching analog to digital by February 17, 2009, my dad told me that on September 2009, the AM radio will probably discontinued too and goes HD Radio with FM and not the AM anymore because my dad heard it on the news.

Whichever news source reported that was wrong.

HD Radio proponents and the FCC do expect that analog radio can eventually be shut down & replaced with full digital mode. However, no date has been suggested for the change. Nobody believes it could happen as early as next year. (my gut feeling is that it would require at the very least ten years, if it can ever happen at all.)

I wonder if what your dad heard applied to one specific station? In Nashville, WLAC-1510 is simulcast on the HD3 channel of co-owned WNRQ-FM; maybe a poorly-rated AM station in your town plans to change to a better-rated format and transfer their existing format to a HD2 or HD3 channel? But even then it's unlikely they'd announce such a move so far in advance.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom