• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJJL to become WEBR

C

CAVEMANager

The new owners of WJJL have filed an application with the FCC to change the call sign to WEBR. WJJL has been WJJL since the 1940s and it is etched in the minds of thousands of listeners. For many years WEBR was on 970 but I think those call letters disappeared at least twenty years ago. Only old-timers would remember them or remember the Courier Express which once owned the station. I personally like the oldies format as they play songs that nobody else would touch. Plus they are now streaming, something that should have been done years ago. Anyone know what the new format will be or why the switch is indicated?

The "Sound of the City"

As the last remaining "Sound of the City" jocks from those WEBR days, I am delighted to see those call letters return.

Sounds to me that ownership wants to identify with the entire Niagara - Buffalo region rather than just being known as a Niagara Falls station.

WEBR was a legacy station during the sixties and early seventies. Could be they are trying fill a niche for the upper demographic listener.

WEBR was one of Buffalo's first radio stations, first licensed 9-30-1924. D.F. Howell & the Howell Broadcasting Company was the first owner, Howell was president of Kenmore Record Manufacturing Corp. and owner/operator of the Howell Recording Studio at 2703 Delaware. The Buffalo Evening News bought it in 1936 and The Courier-Express then acquired it in 1942.

WEBR coming back... I like this idea! I never thought of another station grabbing those historic call letters.

I'm not sure I like WWKB although it comes close to the original call letters. Hey can you imagine WEBR 1520 nah! That would be too strange for us old timers.

This could be interesting....As I said before if they are looking to capture an older demographic what format will make them stand out?

The WEBR call letters are cool to radio people, but outside of the 70+ demo, they mean little if anything. Just another Ancient Modulation station playing WEBR-type standards that will appeal to a small and getting smaller audience. But hey, good luck with that.

The WEBR call letters are cool to radio people, but outside of the 70+ demo, they mean little if anything. Just another Ancient Modulation station playing WEBR-type standards that will appeal to a small and getting smaller audience. But hey, good luck with that.

Does it stand for "We're Erstwhile Buffalo Rimshot"?

Many years ago I got to meet Bob Wells who spent several years doing afternoon drive at WEBR before he moved to WGR. I asked Bob what the WEBR call letters stood for and his answer was "Electrical Broadcast Reproduction". This could well be a case of the call sign coming first and much later someone decided what it ought to stand for. I recently communicated with someone associated with WJJL and asked about the new format. My impression is that it is something that I call "1950s Non-rock". Most cities have such stations. Typical artists include Tony Bennett, Nat "King" Cole, Patti Page, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Ames Brothers, Platters. You get the drift. A little research shows that the WEBR call letters were last used in Buffalo in 1993. The station had good numbers back in the 1950s through the 1970s but I doubt if very many Western New Yorkers have fond memories of WEBR. If 1440 were my station I'd keep it WJJL and maybe try to do something about the crappy night signal. Years ago the old owners had a CP to move the transmitter and up the power but they never did it.

Sounds to me like he's going after Buddy.

I'd love to hear from someone in the market about this observation: while the signal back in the 60's or 70's may have been good enough to cover much/most of the Buffalo market, the increase in urban noise levels now requires a much stronger signal for a station to be listenable.

Looking at the calculated coverage map for the station, it appears to be marginal by today's standards in much of the Buffalo market area.

And (SFX: Stinger) it is for all practical purposes a daytimer.

He is streaming. Maybe that's all he needs. BTW, have any of you read my the tag line?

Yeah, I have. Rox, I'm well aware of your sarcastic wit!

Rumor has it, they have a translator lined up, combine that with streaming and they might give Buddy a bit of competition in the Oldies battle.

As far as appealing to a 70+ audience, I agree with Mr. Bridges' earlier post. Chasing that limited available audience that would be a waste of time and money. Very little upside to that proposition!

Tony Bennett, Perry Como, Dean Martin? Aren't they the artists that WECK used to play? This station can pick up the disenfranchised Octogenarian demos. Literally...

Some thoughts about the coming change of call letters from WJJL to WEBR and the expected change in format. I agree with an earlier posting that the new owner wants to start fresh. WJJL is so associated with Niagara Falls. Plus, the old owners created such a train-wreck that I don’t blame the incoming group for wanting to change the branding. Yes, using WEBR is cool for only us radio geeks. Yet, they are heritage call letters. IMHO, WBEN and WKBW were kingpins in the 1960s. But I would argue WEBR was number three back then, ahead of WGR. WGR overtook WEBR in the early ‘70s, updating its music under Larry Anderson, rebranding itself GR55 and becoming the Sabres station. WEBR tried to rebrand itself as “970ldies.” But by then it was too late. FM was taking hold. And the station was sold to Western New York Public Broadcasting. That’s when WEBR enjoyed a rebirth as “Newsradio970.” For a time in the late ‘70s, WEBR was the top rated public station in the country with its all news format. Throughout the ‘80s, WEBR had a small but very influential audience of serious news consumers. Unfortunately, the cost of presenting an all-news format became prohibitive, and WNYPBA became a more traditional NPR station under the call letters WNED-AM. Still, it’s been just over 25 years, so I’m sure there are more than a few people who remember the WEBR calls. From what I’ve read here, the upcoming format will be the Great American Song Book. That’s not oldies, so I wouldn’t necessarily say the new WEBR will be taking on WECK. Sure, their audiences represent the older demographic, and some songs do cross over. But I think they’re distinct formats. And I do know some young people who are into Sinatra, Bennett and Como. So, I think the audience will be more than octogenarians. Will it be huge? No. It’s still a crappy AM signal. But with am FM translator and streaming, it’ll be interesting to see what happens, especially if WEBR sings a legendary broadcaster or two, as Buddy did.

I'd love to hear from someone in the market about this observation: while the signal back in the 60's or 70's may have been good enough to cover much/most of the Buffalo market, the increase in urban noise levels now requires a much stronger signal for a station to be listenable.

Looking at the calculated coverage map for the station, it appears to be marginal by today's standards in much of the Buffalo market area.

And (SFX: Stinger) it is for all practical purposes a daytimer.
You are correct David. The AM signal is listenable in Niagara Falls, in the rest of the Buffalo market it comes in like you were listening to an out of market station. It's pretty bad.

I'm up late and listening to the stream. They're calling it Old Time Rock & Roll. Liners reminisce about radio personalities and local Buffalo TV shows of the 1960's

Here are the last several songs:

You Don't Have To Be A Star - Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr.
Loving You Is Sweeter - Marvin Gaye
Alice Long - Boyce & Hart
Gimme Little Sign - Brenton Wood
Teach Your Children - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Doesn't sound like any Sinatra, Como etc. to me

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom