• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KIRO-7

How dare the talent on Seattle area TV stations have lives without checking in with the folks on Radiodiscussions.com!

LOVE this! Essex is a KIRO legend! I remember him growing up and thankful he is still delivering high-quality reporting for KIRO.

LOVE this! Essex is a KIRO legend! I remember him growing up and thankful he is still delivering high-quality reporting for KIRO.

Agreed! And Essex started right when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980.

Trivia fact: I met his parents at an army chapel in Hawaii and saw them every year for 15 years or so.

There are very few industries left that are turnover proof. There was a time when employees routinely spent an entire career with the same employer.

So very true...since pensions have largely vanished. There is little incentive to stay with the same company like many of our parents and grandparents did.

I know some have chided me on this but I really believe bringing back the “eyewitness news” imaging plus the enforcer package would help Kiro right now. It’s like comfort food!

I know some have chided me on this but I really believe bringing back the “eyewitness news” imaging plus the enforcer package would help Kiro right now. It’s like comfort food!

Sorry to say, most of the folks who would remember that moniker are either dead, moved out of the market, or are outside of the preferred advertising-preferred demographic anyway.

If you go around the country and see what slogans or monikers are used, the positively-researched versions don't include Eye Witness News.

TEGNA spends a boat load on research. That includes market by market. I'm sure they've tested Eye Witness News, and would have considered it if it tested favorably.

Sorry to say, most of the folks who would remember that moniker are either dead, moved out of the market, or are outside of the preferred advertising-preferred demographic anyway.

If you go around the country and see what slogans or monikers are used, the positively-researched versions don't include Eye Witness News.

TEGNA spends a boat load on research. That includes market by market. I'm sure they've tested Eye Witness News, and would have considered it if it tested favorably.

Hmm, interesting. Last time I checked one of the most successful local news operations in the country still uses "Eyewitness News".

https://abc7.com/

Hmm, interesting. Last time I checked one of the most successful local news operations in the country still uses "Eyewitness News".

https://abc7.com/

That's because they've always been identified with that slogan. Like formats for radio, changing slogans for TV news is risky and expensive, but once you do it you don't go back.

Several years ago I had access to a lot of focus group and survey data on Seattle TV station slogans. In the research, Eyewitness News was considered unrelatable to most audiences, because most viewers are interested in either feeling like that station was a destination for them (The Home Team), or working for them in some fashion.

In other PNW markets, how the station relates to the viewer is considered more important than a hard-news-news approach. Slogans that resonated with viewers out West included: Working For You, On Your Side, Coverage You Can Count On, News From Your Neighborhood, etc. The common thread that resonate with viewers? You.

Eyewitness News says nothing about how it relates to the viewer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom