• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Greg Hill WEEI

Again, there are no "quarterly" reports that the Globe could receive because Nielsen does not produce a quarterly report of any kind for the PPM markets.

Nielsen does not "interpret" the specific ratings for anyone, even clients. They provide data. They provide online and in-market training for clients. Clients can contact them for "issues" like samples, quotas, complaints about apparent problems. But in 50 years of dealing with them they have never given opinion about competitive situations.

And Nielsen does not give demo and daypart information to the press.

Were the Providence station to get any listening in the Boston MSA, it would appear as a separate listing for the RI station. Only 100% simulcast (ads and content 24/7) can be combined with the originating station. Nielsen does not list them as a simulcast, so the numbers would not be combined under "Total Line Reporting". WVEI does not appear in the Boston book, either (it does appear in New Bedford and New London, though).

Nielsen releases 6+ PPM data for share and cume for subscribed stations. It does not give demos and dayparts to "the press". Any additional data is coming from a subscriber, and in violation of the terms of the Nielsen contact. Since you are referring to a "quarterly" report... which has not existed for a decade in Boston... I am concluding that your knowledge is similarly out of date.

Maybe you should get your owns facts updated.

I didn't say the reports come with interpretation.I said the Globe receives the reports every qtr and has access to a Nielsen representative who on various occasions had provided them with insight as to why EEI or the Hub would claim victory in the same demo or daypart. When both stations were neck and neck in the ratings for a while, the spin of the results was more important than the numbers. "out of market" relays is the Providence signal which has listeners in the Boston market. EEI has always included Providence in their promotional material.

Again,the Globe has access to the numbers and are allowed to quote it for newswriting purposes. We can do this all day but I'm telling you what I know.

What David is trying to explain is that the share numbers that The Boston Globe is reporting are (most likely)
being obtained through "moles" at the radio station(s) involved. Nielsen would never release share info on their own.
Any clarifications of data would also (more than likely) be coming from the same "moles".

"Moles" at WFAN + WEPN New York have similarly "leaked" demo and share info to Newsday and NY Post
reporters on a monthly basis and those outlets have also written about the quarterly "reports"
that the stations compile and use for their own purposes in order to pay quarterly ratings bonuses, etc.

Some stations continue to "live in the past" by basing ratings bonuses on a 3-month average rather than
on a month-to-month basis - perhaps it is "more fair" to see things over a 3-month period rather than
micro-managing based on month-to-month numbers.

Bottom line: all news outlets that are publishing share data are technically
breaking Nielsen Audio's rules of keeping proprietary data confidential.
Technically they are not allowed to quote share numbers.
(As previously mentioned, some demo and ranker info is OK.)

The Globe (and Newsday and NY Post) will print anything they want (because the details clarify their stories),
but the way they obtained that info technically breaks Nielsen's rules of confidentiality.

However, Nielsen has not taken action vs. any of the news outlets to date,
nor has it taken action vs. any of the radio stations (or other "moles") for leaking share data.

However, Nielsen has not taken action vs. any of the news outlets to date,
nor has it taken action vs. any of the radio stations (or other "moles") for leaking share data.

Robert Feder does the same thing in Chicago. Paul Farhi used to do the same thing for the Washington Post when he covered the radio beat. LARadio.com used to do it as well. There are similar writers and bloggers who post this information around the country. AllAccess.com posts demographic data from Research Director. All of these examples are beyond the 6+ information given by Nielsen. The one thing they all have in common is they're typically limited by certain factors, and they don't give deep details. Which is probably why Nielsen hasn't "taken action" against any of them. Journalists don't like to give their sources, but the information seems to be authentic. As long as it's credited and limited in scope, Nielsen will see it as more publicity for them.

Maybe you should get your owns facts updated.

Gee, the last time we spoke with a Nielsen rep about this very subject was... uh... Tuesday.

In that case a party had published a "Nielsen ranker" of the top stations, but had omitted all the Spanish language stations in a market that is around 50% Hispanic. It was inappropriate for the "source" to attribute the data to Nielsen without explaining their attack of xenophobia.

But I go back to the point that Nielsen has never issued a quarterly PPM market report. Period. Neither did Arbitron before it. That takes us back to 2008. PPM "books" each cover a 28 day period, and there is no rolling average report unless subscribers do one on their own. So the buck passes back to you in regards to using significantly outdated information or simple hearsay.

Last edited:
From the Entercom press release:

As part of “The Greg Hill Morning Show” on WEEI, Hill will carry over much of his present content, along with the creation of new content for the sports talk format of WEEI. As part of “Patriots Monday,” Tom Brady’s in-season weekly interview on WEEI will also now be conducted by Hill. The show will also feature a monthly interview with Governor Charlie Baker (“Breakfast with Baker”), as well as many other staple benchmarks.

I did see earlier in this thread:
>>the first show on WEEI will be on July 29, but the last show on WAAF will be this Friday, July 19th.

So there will be no period where both stations run him to get people used to him going to 93.7...AAF just to music as of next Mon I guess

From the Entercom press release:

As part of “The Greg Hill Morning Show” on WEEI, Hill will carry over much of his present content, along with the creation of new content for the sports talk format of WEEI. As part of “Patriots Monday,” Tom Brady’s in-season weekly interview on WEEI will also now be conducted by Hill. The show will also feature a monthly interview with Governor Charlie Baker (“Breakfast with Baker”), as well as many other staple benchmarks.

I did see earlier in this thread:
>>the first show on WEEI will be on July 29, but the last show on WAAF will be this Friday, July 19th.

So there will be no period where both stations run him to get people used to him going to 93.7...AAF just to music as of next Mon I guess

I think he said goodbye and thank you last friday on WAAF. Big goodbye show with many old friends probably has this week off and starts on WEEI next Monday.

I have to sigh at this thread so quickly devolving into an argument about ratings and rules for the millionth time on these boards. We get it, there are restrictions. People are going to ask anyway, maybe just move on...

I must say this move by WAAF has been needed for such a long time. When I moved to Phoenix 14 years ago, the show had been stale for quite a while. I was pleased to find that they had added the excellent Danielle when I moved back here last year, and that Mike was back on the show. Otherwise, it has been really difficult to listen due to Greg and LB mailing in the same routine over and over. About as edgy as a bowling ball. Danielle, go find yourself something better, you deserve it!

I was also disappointed to find how far away from a good active rock format WAAF had strayed. Comfortably Numb was probably the first tune I heard when I went to 107.3...whaaa? They should take a long hard look at KUPD in Phoenix and Holmberg's morning show, it's top notch and the station programming is actual rock music.

I have to sigh at this thread so quickly devolving into an argument about ratings and rules for the millionth time on these boards. We get it, there are restrictions. People are going to ask anyway, maybe just move on...

I must say this move by WAAF has been needed for such a long time. When I moved to Phoenix 14 years ago, the show had been stale for quite a while. I was pleased to find that they had added the excellent Danielle when I moved back here last year, and that Mike was back on the show. Otherwise, it has been really difficult to listen due to Greg and LB mailing in the same routine over and over. About as edgy as a bowling ball. Danielle, go find yourself something better, you deserve it!

I was also disappointed to find how far away from a good active rock format WAAF had strayed. Comfortably Numb was probably the first tune I heard when I went to 107.3...whaaa? They should take a long hard look at KUPD in Phoenix and Holmberg's morning show, it's top notch and the station programming is actual rock music.

Totally agreed I was in Phoenix for a time and was surprised that a station like kupd existed.

Hillman AM show sounds like a morning zoo_One caller said "you're trying to be all things for all people and I don't like it".Majority of posts on WEEI facebook are "you guys (stink), too many ads"; "gave it a chance, had to flip to 98.5", "bring back Kirk and Gerry"; "I didn't like the Hillman on WAAF, why would I listen to him on WEEI?"

No doubt both papers will do stories on this and the usual comments online will have people defending one station and criticizing the other.

While I didn't hear the opening have been told they spoofed the various twitter/FB/message board types like me imagining a format change with a fake Country 93.7 bit

I can't imagine WEEI listeners liking this type of show at all. When they stop listening to the morning show, will they also not return for the rest of the day when they get in the habit of listening to the Sports Hub or something else? The only way the show survives is if Hill's AAF audience follows him, and that audience isn't that large to begin with. I'm sure some of them will stick with AAF since they listen for the music, not the Hill-Man.

It sounded like small market radio. It's just corporate approved guy talk, a poor man's version of Toucher and Rich. When I heard the trash morning show on 92.9 I thought it was the worst morning show aimed at men in the history of Boston aside from David Lee Roth, but Hill-Man might give them a run for the money. Hill-Man gets some points though because there was less hyena-like fake laughing than 92.9.

Old example of a morning zoo show--
Glenn Beck, pre talk show career and Tim Hattrick Y95 Phoenix

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJkxBLgd5Hs

The idea going back to the SportsRadio850 WEEI days was a more general, lighthearted morning show to bring in non huge sports fans who may stay tuned, what the heck.That was syndie Imus who led to syndie Fab Sports Babe.After they went local with Dennis and Callahan late mornings, that show then went to AM Drive.

The Minihane fans (Minifans) and Kirk himself, as well as those longing for a D&C or Mut & Callahan type show are making themselves known out there.

The idea going back to the SportsRadio850 WEEI days was a more general, lighthearted morning show to bring in non huge sports fans who may stay tuned, what the heck.That was syndie Imus who led to syndie Fab Sports Babe.

What you say has parallels on TV as well, with Monday Night Football's attempt at attracting women viewers, and then later with NBC's Olympics coverage bringing in Ryan Seacrest for lifestyle reporting at a sports event. But yes, Imus was a core part of WFAN's success in NYC, and that led to his syndication.

I listened today on the drive to work and I barely heard Greg Hill. Some Danielle and lots of the guy who played Fitzy. I assume he is there for his sports takes, but I cannot listen to him. He failed in the afternoons on WAAF. Why is he going to do better on WEEI in the mornings? Everything he says is just a lead up to some bad joke he came up with last night and wants to get out.

Old example of a morning zoo show--
Glenn Beck, pre talk show career and Tim Hattrick Y95 Phoenix

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJkxBLgd5Hs

The idea going back to the SportsRadio850 WEEI days was a more general, lighthearted morning show to bring in non huge sports fans who may stay tuned, what the heck.That was syndie Imus who led to syndie Fab Sports Babe.After they went local with Dennis and Callahan late mornings, that show then went to AM Drive.

The Minihane fans (Minifans) and Kirk himself, as well as those longing for a D&C or Mut & Callahan type show are making themselves known out there.

If I remember, early on WEEI 850 had Andy Moes in morning drive with the "As Yet Untitled Morning Program." A little bit sports, a little bit "Morning Zoo." What little I've heard of this new thing sounds a lot like that. It didn't work then, and now it's gotta compete with 98.5. Maybe it'll pick up a bit when the Pats get rolling, but I don't see it. Unlikely it gives Toucher & Rich a run for their money any time soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom