• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Frequency Swap Question

I'm skeptical that a "wall of buildings" will cause significant issues for WNSH sending a decent signal into central L.I. The proposed ERP is 40,000 watts. The signal map filed with the FCC does show a small bend westward, near E. Babylon. That may be the extent of the signal blockage.

Proposed 94.7 Signal: https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/map...y=NEWARK&state=NJ&fileno=BPH-20190213ABC&.map

The underlying database on which that coverage map is built shows only terrain, not manmade structures. The underlying terrain, of course, is reasonably flat from the Meadowlands across Manhattan to LI.

The real-world RF environment is anything but flat. And just throwing sheer power at it isn't necessarily the answer - it has the danger of creating even more multipath as the RF bounces around and through the urban caverns.

I lived and worked in Miami Beach, northeast of downtown Miami where ALL the stations that are southwest of downtown were received pathetically, but as I drove a few miles north (and farther from them) they all cleared up a LOT. If power wee everything, WFUV would have the best signal in the apple.

Now that WNSH 94.7 and WNYL 92.3 are co-owned by Entercom, could it make sense to swap their frequencies? This would give the Country station, which has been doing better among the two in the overall ratings, the stronger signal.
As the alternative station apparently does OK in NJ (i/e the M/S/U market) the 94.7 signal could still serve them well.

WNSH is .6 higher but WNYL cumes higher by 673,000. Hardly seems worth the confusion to the current listeners to swap frequencies for such low rated stations

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom