• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

5/13 Ratings Posted - WFSH #1

I respect David, and he has a wealth of knowledge. But, I would like to see something written by Nielsen confirming this.

If Nielsen awarded anything to subscribers not afforded to non-subscribers--with the exception of having their P6+ ratings shown to the public--I believe that would be illegal. And I also think showing a .1 share for a station that did not actually have a .1 share would be deceiving potential advertisers (although advertisers and agencies that use Nielsen probably wouldn't buy a station with a .1 share).

That said, hopefully David will chime in and explain, and even better, quote Nielsen's policy regarding this.

From the December, 2018 Minimum Reporting Standards bulletin:

"MINIMUM REPORTING STANDARD An eligible station’s audience must meet or exceed a given size to be reported in Nielsen Audio software and data sets. This “Minimum Reporting Standard” or “MRS” helps assure that we report data that is relevant to the marketplace. This policy brief offers an overview of our MRS policy. ELIGIBLESTATIONSFCC-licensed commercial and non-commercial AM, FM, and LPFM radio stations, and the streaming versions of these stations, are eligible to be reported in all of our reports and data sets. Client HD-multicast stations are also eligible to be reported.

MRS FOR LOCAL SERVICES The Minimum Reporting Standard for our local services is an unrounded .1 AQH Rating in the Metro for the Monday-Sunday 6AM to Midnight daypart. In PPM markets, we apply MRS rules for the P6+ demo; in Diary markets we apply MRS for the P12+ demo. We will report audience estimates for any eligible station that meets or exceeds MRS. As a benefit to our clients, we will also report audience estimates for any subscribing station that did not meet MRS provided the received listening credit in the reported geography (Metro or DMA)"

What this means is a two-fold change. First, the MRS for unsubscribed stations is a 0.1 rating. In today's world, that is about a 1.1 to 1.2 share. That is a big change from the old criteria which said:

"MRS IN THE PASTPreviously, we had different MRS rules for PPM and Diary. We retired these rules in 2018. In PPM, we reported audience estimates for any eligible station that had a .495 Weekly Cume Rating among P6+, in the Monday-Sunday 6AM to Midnight daypart in the metro.In Diary, we reported audience estimates for any eligible commercial station that: 1) received credit in a minimum of 10 In-Tab Metro diaries, 2) had a Cume Rating of 0.495 or greater, and; 3) had an AQH rating of 0.05 or greater in the Metro among Persons 12+ during the Monday-Sunday 6AM-Midnight daypart. "

So an unsubscribed station with less than a 0.1 rating won't even appear in the subscriber books. And a subscribed station that does not meet MRS but does get one qualified listening incident in the metro will get an automatic 0.1 by default.

This is all intended to reduce unauthorized use of numbers by non-subscribers. However, it makes it very hard for subscribed stations to use the book to analyze programming as the low rated "bubbling under" stations that are not subscribers will not show.

Last edited:

From the December, 2018 Minimum Reporting Standards bulletin:

"MINIMUM REPORTING STANDARD An eligible station’s audience must meet or exceed a given size to be reported in Nielsen Audio software and data sets. This “Minimum Reporting Standard” or “MRS” helps assure that we report data that is relevant to the marketplace. This policy brief offers an overview of our MRS policy. ELIGIBLESTATIONSFCC-licensed commercial and non-commercial AM, FM, and LPFM radio stations, and the streaming versions of these stations, are eligible to be reported in all of our reports and data sets. Client HD-multicast stations are also eligible to be reported.

MRS FOR LOCAL SERVICES The Minimum Reporting Standard for our local services is an unrounded .1 AQH Rating in the Metro for the Monday-Sunday 6AM to Midnight daypart. In PPM markets, we apply MRS rules for the P6+ demo; in Diary markets we apply MRS for the P12+ demo. We will report audience estimates for any eligible station that meets or exceeds MRS. As a benefit to our clients, we will also report audience estimates for any subscribing station that did not meet MRS provided the received listening credit in the reported geography (Metro or DMA)"

What this means is a two-fold change. First, the MRS for unsubscribed stations is a 0.1 rating. In today's world, that is about a 1.1 to 1.2 share. That is a big change from the old criteria which said:

"MRS IN THE PASTPreviously, we had different MRS rules for PPM and Diary. We retired these rules in 2018. In PPM, we reported audience estimates for any eligible station that had a .495 Weekly Cume Rating among P6+, in the Monday-Sunday 6AM to Midnight daypart in the metro.In Diary, we reported audience estimates for any eligible commercial station that: 1) received credit in a minimum of 10 In-Tab Metro diaries, 2) had a Cume Rating of 0.495 or greater, and; 3) had an AQH rating of 0.05 or greater in the Metro among Persons 12+ during the Monday-Sunday 6AM-Midnight daypart. "

So an unsubscribed station with less than a 0.1 rating won't even appear in the subscriber books. And a subscribed station that does not meet MRS but does get one qualified listening incident in the metro will get an automatic 0.1 by default.

This is all intended to reduce unauthorized use of numbers by non-subscribers. However, it makes it very hard for subscribed stations to use the book to analyze programming as the low rated "bubbling under" stations that are not subscribers will not show.

Well..I stand corrected. Thanks, David.

According to the tower registration information, Salem owns the tower.

I wonder if Salem will "invite" EMF to look for other facilities? Of course, that would mean lost tower revenue which would not be easy to replace. EMF could probably go back to the 97.1 tower, at 1380(?) feet and 100 kW. I don't remember the signal being noticeably better when they moved to the Fish stick...

I don't think Salem would do that. After all, Fish is paying rent for that space. It's $$$ coming in. And, since these stations are more or less non-commercial, they need all the income they can get. So, you are correct to think about the lost tower revenue.

I don't think Salem would do that. After all, Fish is paying rent for that space. It's $$$ coming in. And, since these stations are more or less non-commercial, they need all the income they can get. So, you are correct to think about the lost tower revenue.

Salem is the parent company of The Fish. The Fish Stick belongs to them so, technically, they don't pay "rent." There is the cost of capital, maintenance, and other considerations which do cost money if you're the owner so, realistically, it costs Salem money to host its own station.

I do agree it would be foolish for them to show EMF the door. They do have at least one other option.

The Fish is hardly non commercial. I'm guessing you are talking about the EMF "stations." Of course if you look at the latest stock quotes for Salem you might think they are noncommercial...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom