• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rock929Boston twitter

What do the numbers looks like upon excluding listeners under the age of 25?

A 6th place rank in 18-49 women for a CHR/Pop station is mediocre at best. I bet Kiss 108 leads AMP by a massive margin in that demographic. Am I right?

We all know radio companies can "fudge" billing numbers by station. Much of 103.3's business likely comes from advertisers who are primarily interested in purchasing time on 104.1 & 106.7.

By no means am I a big fan of the Alternative format; I love crunchy aggro rock from the 90's, 00's and 2010's. The WAAF sound of the late 90's and early 2K's is the type of Rock station I like. Also loved the WFNX sound of that era :)

All I know is 92.9's numbers as "Alt" were clearly on the upswing, AMP is clearly stuck in neutral, and Entercom's CEO has had no issue blowing up inherited CHR/Pop stations from CBS in favor of Alternative. There are instances where Entercom has taken stations in an "Alt" direction where I thought that was the wrong move. Dallas (103.7 KVIL) is one such example. Miami is another (that one occurred a few years ago and the station to this day earns terrible ratings).

Last edited:
I've worked in rock radio in Boston for years. I don't anymore and I am ok with that. Three things I've learned over the past few weeks that I find interesting.

1. WBOS fired their only female voice when they flipped. To me she was the best jock on the station. I believe that Boston is a city that wants radio personalities that know the market/vibe of the people. Amy Brooks was great and, like I said, their only woman. Seems absurd to drop her. Chuck and the Freak and Al Beck are their only jocks and they both do their shows out of Detroit. It makes no sense to me.

2. Peaking to friends of mine who are well qualified rock/alt jocks, I have learned that they're not going to bother sending resumes to 92.9, despite the fact that they're advertising full time on air jobs. The folks I've spoken to don't trust that this new format is going to survive and they don't want to be out of a job in 6 months. These are top flight talent and they're a hard pass on 92.9

3. This is a side note. WAAF has been advertising an afternoon drive job for a few weeks now and they haven't replied to anyone who's applied. Talking 10 -15 experienced jocks with name recognition who can't even get a rejection letter. The feeling there is that it is a sign that AAF will eventually blow it up and start over.

I believe that Boston is a city that wants radio personalities that know the market/vibe of the people.

Maybe, but they only want personalities on a handful of formats and not in all dayparts.

I've seen more than a handful of legendary alternative & rock personalities completely fail in the last few years. Great names, great personalities, doing great radio, but to an audience that just wants to hear the music. That's a real problem because the music needs context, and these people can provide that context, but the audience simply isn't interested. They want what they want when they want it and they want it for free. That kind of audience isn't good for knowledgeable people. The internet has made everyone an expert.

I've worked in rock radio in Boston for years. I don't anymore and I am ok with that. Three things I've learned over the past few weeks that I find interesting.

1. WBOS fired their only female voice when they flipped. To me she was the best jock on the station. I believe that Boston is a city that wants radio personalities that know the market/vibe of the people. Amy Brooks was great and, like I said, their only woman. Seems absurd to drop her. Chuck and the Freak and Al Beck are their only jocks and they both do their shows out of Detroit. It makes no sense to me.

2. Peaking to friends of mine who are well qualified rock/alt jocks, I have learned that they're not going to bother sending resumes to 92.9, despite the fact that they're advertising full time on air jobs. The folks I've spoken to don't trust that this new format is going to survive and they don't want to be out of a job in 6 months. These are top flight talent and they're a hard pass on 92.9

3. This is a side note. WAAF has been advertising an afternoon drive job for a few weeks now and they haven't replied to anyone who's applied. Talking 10 -15 experienced jocks with name recognition who can't even get a rejection letter. The feeling there is that it is a sign that AAF will eventually blow it up and start over.

I felt like it was a bad move for them to switch over to Classic Rock, and agree with you that this format will not last long at all.

Chuck and the Freak and Al Beck are their only jocks and they both do their shows out of Detroit. It makes no sense to me.

I'm sure it costs them a lot less in payroll to run external or syndicated jocks from elsewhere than to pay for live local air talent.

I haven't listened closely to hear how it's locally produced, but if it's automated/pre-programmed they may not even have to spend local payroll for a board-op.

I haven't listened closely to hear how it's locally produced, but if it's automated/pre-programmed they may not even have to spend local payroll for a board-op.

The imaging voice, and from what I can tell, the production, is the same as it was when it was Alt 92.9.

Beasley's WBOS liner:"There's your da-da's classic rock station [iHR's WZLX], now here's yours."
("Next generation of classic rock.") Kind of like when iHeart put WBWL on to counter Beasley's WKLB:"Now you have your own country station and your parents still have theirs."

Last edited:
Exactly.The decision to go classic rock, perhaps with a younger twist, is because they feel it will result in more ad sales.An appeal to those who want familiar tunes as background to work, etc.

"Young man this radio station is a business.It is not here for your personal listening pleasure."
"Rock and roll is where the money is."
--first episode of WKRP

Stale...$$$$$$$.
It was interesting when the Bull debuted.Suddenly WKLB also started saying "new country"...and the Sunday morning country oldies show was dropped.

Yes, that's what I'd mentioned--WKLB dropped it once the Bull debuted and that liner emphasized new country.KLB quickly started to say "#1 for new hit country".They could have kept it, considering it a specialty show (just like WRKO running oldies on Sat. nights for awhile).

Burns and Fink then went about offering their show in syndication.

I think the country show is Sun night only. Website still prominently mentions North Star Music. In fact on Sunday they list country oldies as being 7-8 pm only, with Northstar Music up at 8 till the wee hours.

I think the country show is Sun night only. Website still prominently mentions North Star Music. In fact on Sunday they list country oldies as being 7-8 pm only, with Northstar Music up at 8 till the wee hours.

Country oldies is just a weekly specialty show. WCRN's regular nighttime format is still North Star ("soft" oldies/classic hits mostly of the '60s/'70s).

Thank you. I just got kind of confused there for a minute.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom