• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1300 KKOL...

That is a read, several bathroom breaks needed.

I'm right that KPAM is being operated under an LMA till closing of the agreement. 1300 needs to be delivered operating from the new location for the deal to close.

Who owns the KPAM site sounds like it is triplex too.

Much easier to swap to like cars, less paper work.

Intellius owns the 860/1550 twofer near Camas WA- Pamplin had that land. If you look around page (oh gawd I dunno) 40 or so there's some stuff in there about each one agreeing to the other's duplex and triplex agreements. Seriously, if you ever had a thought of being an attorney, just read that fine work. It'll cure ya!

When I saw that Salem wanted to build out KKOL on Bainbridge, I knew it would be a rocky road. I also think a lot of the opposition is purely based on politics, being what Bainbridge is, and being what Salem is. If KKOL were a progressive talker, I highly doubt there would much blow-back.

RFI mitigation comes like a tsunami when you turn on a brand new site and as you know, there is no way of predicting which homes or businesses will be affected.

Anymore with the value of AM stations being so deflated, I don't think it's worth the trouble trying to fight NIMBY's. Especially rich NIMBY's.

It’s not that bad if you keep the modulation down for the first week and gradually bring up the power. Technically, maybe you’re not supposed to do it that way, but we did, and the RFI was resolved quickly. Funny to see the look on some of the people when I actually showed up to remediate their issue and walked out with it being solved in less than five minutes. We were aggressive in tracking the complaints and documenting them, and we solved all of them, less than 80 total.

Monte Passmore at Salem is a great engineer. He’ll be able to resolve those RF issues quickly.

As for AM going away, interesting Beasley has applied for all-digital on one of their AM signals. I haven’t looked at receiver penetration, yet, for HD Radio, but that should be a fun one to watch.

As Archie mentioned in their reply, just look at the years of NIMBY battles Andy went through moving and upgrading KRKO. That was dealing with residents less well-off than Bainbridge Island residents, and this all happened many years ago.

Salem goofed with trying to build 1300 near the Port of Tacoma.

On your first point, “less well-off” is an interesting assumption considering many of our opponents had beautiful equestrian facilities and large acreage. Their legal expenditures reached or exceeded $1 million. They were $700,000 in when I spoke with their treasurer and challenged them with the IRS.

And, you’re right that it was a mistake to move to the Port of Tacoma after having had the example of KJR in the Duwamish. I’ve always been curious why Hammat and Edison took you to the 850 site instead of diplexing on Vashon as they finally did. Did Salem want too much at the time? Or was it about having total control? The KHHO site didn’t get good coverage north at all.

Salem/ Inspiration Media has just applied for an STA at 1kW from KBRO's single tower in Bremerton. Something in there about community issues taking longer than the initial silent STA would last. Which sounds about right. Will not be much of a signal. Wonder whether the current owner or the new owner will be programming this, and the over/under on how long this "temporary" diplex will go on. Vegas has set the line at 2.6 years. Place yer bets!

I hear something on 1300 but no ID's, no city of license is mentioned. Salem/Inspiration/Intelli filed paper work today (2/26/19)saying that 1300 is back on the air and no longer silent. Can they legally say they returned to the air but not play top of the hour ID's or identify the city of license? I listened for a couple of hours, spots run, but no ID as to what the calls/city of license are or if it is a licensed station.

As far as who is programming it now, still up to Vegas odds since no call letters are being broadcast. Who ever is programming it needs to get the station ID running at the top of the hour unless it's a pirate.

What I was hearing, and am hearing now is some talk, by a woman, and now over the past hour it's been Christian Contemporary Music, or sounds like it. It's easy sounding pop but I don't recognize any artists. There is very weak talk in back, unreadable, though. If KOL is back on, and it's a night pattern (?) maybe it's them. Just a pure guess, though. Can't yet decipher the programming of the talk.

EDIT: KAPL is the talk in back, and matches their stream. Some preacher. The CCM-sounding station is unknown. Maybe KOL?

It's the Fish. The online music station the Fish. Matches their stream, off by about a minute or so.

Whoever it is, is broadcasting the Fish right now.

Last edited:
Yes it is KKOL Seattle, just heard an ID at the top of the hour. Must have been a syntax error somewhere either in the analog or digital chain. I agree Montee and crew did a great job. Convenient having spare weather poof ATU from old Tacoma site.

Well, driving through Seattle earlier today, I punched in whatever 1300 kHz is now, it's a jockless, female voice song ID tagged, CCM jukebox. I did hear a five minute blizzard of spots, including Macy's. And something called Patriot Mobile.

Yep. The ghostly signal of 1300 is now a placeholder if I ever heard one. No wacky morning zoo announced. No Saturday Night Hot Mixes, No slick website, must-have app, stickers, t-shirts, coffee mugs or keychains. Compared to KRKO, they both sound eerily similar in their canned song-tagged way...Like KRKO's born-again sister.

Well, driving through Seattle earlier today, I punched in whatever 1300 kHz is now, it's a jockless, female voice song ID tagged, CCM jukebox. I did hear a five minute blizzard of spots, including Macy's. And something called Patriot Mobile.

Yep. The ghostly signal of 1300 is now a placeholder if I ever heard one. No wacky morning zoo announced. No Saturday Night Hot Mixes, No slick website, must-have app, stickers, t-shirts, coffee mugs or keychains. Compared to KRKO, they both sound eerily similar in their canned song-tagged way...Like KRKO's born-again sister.

It would be safe to assume the signal is exactly what it appears... the means to protect the license while they work out the issues surrounding the (hopefully) eventual move to Bainbridge. Once that happens, they'll turn the station over to its new owner, so there's really no point to any kind of formatic strategy. They could just have easily put on the chirping birds and stunted their way to the finish line and it would have made just as much sense. The power level is sufficient to stay within contour and satisfy the FCC. IMO, there's not much reason to care if anyone is actually listening to it.

The signal doesn't matter. The format doesn't matter. Getting back on the air before the STA expired mattered, and they did that. That's about as much thought as this topic deserves right now, because there really isn't any more to it.

The signal doesn't matter. The format doesn't matter. Getting back on the air before the STA expired mattered, and they did that. That's about as much thought as this topic deserves right now, because there really isn't any more to it.

Thanks Double-G, I needed a good chuckle.

This thread brings back memories when 104.5 went on the air from Cougar with a meaningless format to keep the license alive while they tested the waters for a potential suitor. The Seattle discussion board was lit up with conspiracy theories akin to the Flat Earth Society, format critiques, frustration, and even some rage thrown in. I believe that's where the whole Kokomo thing started...

You are exactly right, Kelly. Tat was when I was brand new to this board in May of 2011. Now I am of the opinion that joke needs to be updated, as Kokomo would be a perfect fit on KJR-FM right now, as it's 1988. I would suggest Iris (1998) or Waterfalls (1995) or even All Star (2000) as updates. I've heard all on 95.7 mHZ.

As if to punctuate Grid's comments, listened this afternoon at 100pm just for giggles. Heard a legal ID. That's it...otherwise just modulating silence, baby.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom