• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Disney Apparently Gone From NYC Airwaves

I can also confirm Radio Disney is off of KOOL HD3 in Phoenix as well. KOOL's HD was off the air yesterday, but this morning when I checked, HD was back on and the HD 3 had been turned off.

There was no sign on website

Tom Taylor today posted an article about Radio Disney on HD, quoting Scott Fybush:

Has Radio Disney ended its national HD Radio deal?
Scott Fybush at Northeast Radio Watch says “Philadelphia is one of several markets where Radio Disney has been quietly airing on HD Radio subchannels for the last few years, as part of an arrangement between Radio Disney and the HD Radio Alliance partners.”

The article doesn't reach a conclusion. No one has actually spoken with anyone at either Radio Disney or the HD Radio Alliance for confirmation.

From my recollection, there were originally two deals, both done 3 years ago, in April 2015. One was with iBiquity, the other with CBS Radio. Both apparently have ended. But so far, no actual statement from any of the principles on the decision.

Today's edition of InsideRadio has an article stating that the decision to end the broadcast of Radio Disney on the HD subchannels of several Entercomm FM's was made by Entercomm.
But the article appears to contain at least one factual error. It asserts that RD is still being broadcast on "a side channel... of KDMT Denver (1690)" To the best of my knowledge, no AM broadcast station has a "side channel."
I wonder why Entercomm would boot a station off its HD subchannels, if it does not have another broadcaster that is ready to lease them.
From InsideRadio: http://www.insideradio.com/free/ent...cle_6f37dafa-6a20-11e8-b3f4-5b161ab6879f.html

I wonder why Entercomm would boot a station off its HD subchannels, if it does not have another broadcaster that is ready to lease them.

That is a strange article. It has Entercom in the headline, but no quote from anyone at Entercom. Instead they talk to a guy from the new owner of iBiquity. So it sounds like the deal with iBiquity is over. Because it's not just Entercom stations that no longer air RD. And these aren't called "side channels." I don't know anyone who calls them that. They're either HD-2 or HD-3.

He's also wrong when he says the deal was in 2014. Do a simple search and you'll see the deal was launched in April 2015.

Why not talk to Radio Disney? How hard is that for a trade publication?

It says something about the significance of Radio Disney, HD Radio and even Entercom to the general public that all the "journalism" being done on this issue is so incomplete and riddled with errors, most of it rushed onto the internet without anyone having ever confirmed anything with anyone at Disney, Entercom or whatever iBiquity is known as these days.

I was going to say something snarky about InsideRadio not only putting "side channels" on an X-band AM but also spelling Entercom with two m's, but I see they do have it right in the article.

It says something about the significance of Radio Disney, HD Radio and even Entercom to the general public that all the "journalism" being done on this issue is so incomplete and riddled with errors,

And that after 7 days, this is the first actual interview with anyone in the trade press, and it's incomplete. Compare it to the coverage this story got in April 2015 when the deal was first announced. Then it was seen as a big deal, with an entire ad sales team being created to sell it. No word on that part of the plan either.

Here's one story from 3 years ago:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6531686/radio-disney-am-fm-hd-networks

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one's around to hear it, does it make a sound? Apparently not.

I actually found out there might only be three HD subchannels carrying Radio Disney left as of today in these areas..

Charlotte, NC (WNKS-HD2)
Austin, TX (KGSR-HD2)
Greenville/Newport, NC (WMGV-HD2)

And none is an Entercom station. WNKS is owned by Beasley and WMGV was recently sold by Beasley to Curtis. KGSR is owned by Emmis.

So maybe these are individual deals? Or the stations think so little about their HD channels that they continue to air Radio Disney even if they don't have a deal currently in place?

I know all of Entercom's stations haved dropped Radio Disney, but I think all of the Beasley stations except for WNKS in Charlotte dropped Radio Disney, worst of all, Radio Disney stopped being carried on HD Radio subchannels in Puerto Rico.

And I think those stations in Charlotte, Austin and Greenville/Newport think so little about their HD channels that they continue to air Radio Disney, even if they don't have a deal currently in place.

Last edited:
So maybe these are individual deals? Or the stations think so little about their HD channels that they continue to air Radio Disney even if they don't have a deal currently in place?

They have to be getting the signal from someplace. It's licensed content. The iBiquity deal was supposed to include spots, so it likely originated from them somehow. But apparently not any more.

Maybe they're planning the wind down the entire network. I noticed the Radio Disney Music Awards have been renamed to simply "RDMA".

Maybe they're planning the wind down the entire network. I noticed the Radio Disney Music Awards have been renamed to simply "RDMA".

Well, getting "radio" out of the picture by turning it into one letter of an abbreviation makes sense, since radio in the traditional sense is out of the picture, and only pay radio (SiriusXM) and internet distribution remain. But if corporate believes that a combination of streaming and satellite has a bigger upside than what we know as radio, and that using the word "radio" in branding might give the network an old-fashioned, outdated image, keeping the network going as "RD" or some other name that doesn't include the fuddy-duddy R-word would be logical.

In the world of social media and texting, everything has become abbreviated. LOL, ROTFLMAO, etc. Gen X grew up with TRL. Gen Z likes RD.

In the world of social media and texting, everything has become abbreviated. LOL, ROTFLMAO, etc. Gen X grew up with TRL. Gen Z likes RD.

Come to think of it, MLB as an abbreviation for Major League Baseball is a very recent coinage. Actually, until about a decade or so ago, you hardly ever saw "major league baseball" capitalized. It was just a generic term for the top level of the sport, played in the American League and National League. Myself, I only say "MLB" when I talk about the cable channel, and Sirius XM's promos of "Every MLB game is on Sirius XM" still don't sound right to me. But then, I am neither X, Y or Z; I'm a dinosaur.

Come to think of it, MLB as an abbreviation for Major League Baseball is a very recent coinage. Actually, until about a decade or so ago, you hardly ever saw "major league baseball" capitalized. It was just a generic term for the top level of the sport, played in the American League and National League.

It is also a recent development that the NL and AL ceased to exist as separate entities. It was around 2000 when MLB became the controlling entity rather than being a coalition of the NL and AL.

You mean, only on OTA radio. They are merely a streaming site now. Like a Pandora channel with DJs.

I was responding to the post asking if "the final chapter of Radio Disney has been written." From what I can see, it's healthy.

As noted earlier, it's also on Sirius.

I have kids, one of whom hasn't quite outgrown the Disney Channel yet. And so I get to see quite a bit of Disney Channel - and believe me when I tell you it is full of "Radio Disney" content. Not "RD" - "Radio Disney." Lots of interstitial segments featuring Disney's latest crop of actor/musicians in the Radio Disney studios, which is one big reason why they moved the studios from Dallas to Burbank.

Just like Disney movies moved from VHS to DVD to streaming, Radio Disney has moved from AM to FM HD to satellite and streaming and smart devices. Disney was never in the VHS tape business. It was never in the AM radio business. It was, and is, in the content business.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom