• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1 World Trade Center FM

Not necessarily "stunt time." The FCC mandates test time with stations that have potential interference problems. That's the case here. It could last 3-6 months, depending on the results.

There's nothing on the W284BW construction permit that mandates any sort of test time, at least not that I can see. These days, the FCC doesn't really do that. You file for a CP with a technical showing that there won't be interference on paper (in this case, most critically to the north against WSPK), the FCC grants a CP based on that showing, you get automatic program test authority with the CP, and then it's up to other stations to decide whether there's real-world interference that justifies gathering listener testimony and making a complaint.

W284BW could file for its license to cover today if it wanted to, and barring any objections filed against the LTC, it could be fully licensed in a week or two. And even without a full license, it could run "regular" programming under program test authority.

I suspect what the "stunt" is really doing is giving potential lease tenants an opportunity to hear what the 1WTC signal does and where it does/doesn't go, and to make their decisions about whether to pay whatever Walia is going to be asking to lease the translator. As such, it will last until the ink is dry on a contract, whenever that happens. At least, that's my educated guess.

Absolutely...he's also a ham radio operator. Outlier of outliers.

Never thought of hams as being audiophiles, though. Not with the primary voice modes used on the ham bands being single sideband and narrow-band FM.

That said, I haven't actively SWLed in years, but I remember a group of AM enthusiasts here in the Northeast back in the '80s and '90s who'd gather around 3880 KHz in the 75 meter band and shoot the breeze, largely on technical topics, for hours. Some of them had absolutely gorgeous audio (WA1HLR in Skowhegan, Maine, comes to mind) and you could tell they had put a lot of effort into their odd pursuit. I'll have to dust of the old Sangean one of these afternoons and see if they're still at it, tweaking their reverb and laughing at the "slop bucket" sidebanders on frequencies all around them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom