• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ait 92.3

I rather favour the WEQX (Manchester VT/Albany, NY) approach to Alternative. It is very current/recurrent focused, with specialty programming that shows it hasn't forgotten it's roots.

I have a feeling a lot of that music is more recognizable by a small percentage of listeners. It might work well in a small college market, but not in a PPM market like NYC.

It depends. This is a low pressure time for a station to change formats. They will have a few more months to fool around with the music before it matters. By April, they will have to deliver ratings and demos. We'll see how this music mix works in terms of delivering ratings. In Philadelphia, where the CEO of Entercom lives, there is an alternative station there that gets great ratings. He' s probably listened to that station even though it's owned by iHeart. The biggest complaint listeners have with the station is the playlist size. It's not a huge playlist. But it gets great ratings. The ratings often drop in December, but then recovers in the spring.

The thing about those worn out 90s songs is they attract ratings. They did it at WRXP, and if this station needs ratings, you might see them try again here.

I used to listen to them regularly, WRFF and follow their ratings hoping their success would signal someone to pickup the format in NYC. I do not see them making, in my opinion, the same mistakes as Alt 92.3 with their current playlist.

I used to be able to keep them on for hours and daily without burn-out. Alt 92.3 you burn out pretty quickly since after a couple of hours they replay all the same OLD songs again. Repetition is not so bad when it is new music but the tired old 90s cuts I see as a problem. I just do not see how people will stick around on a daily or even more than a few hours if they keep repeating the same old songs in very heavy rotation. It becomes like nails on a chalkboard after awhile.

I have a feeling a lot of that music is more recognizable by a small percentage of listeners. It might work well in a small college market, but not in a PPM market like NYC.

I have found WEQX on a lot of occasions to be a leader in the format, as a lot of material has cycled through their playlist long before it hits any of the bigger alternative outlets (Cumulus/iHeart/Entercom)

I just do not see how people will stick around on a daily or even more than a few hours if they keep repeating the same old songs in very heavy rotation. It becomes like nails on a chalkboard after awhile.

Radio stations aren't programmed to be listened to for more than a few hours. Everything is built on repetition. That's by definition what a format is.'

I have found WEQX on a lot of occasions to be a leader in the format, as a lot of material has cycled through their playlist long before it hits any of the bigger alternative outlets (Cumulus/iHeart/Entercom)

As I said, why you won't hear a lot of that music, especially by percentage, in a PPM market like NYC. There are no extra points for being "a leader in the format."

Radio stations aren't programmed to be listened to for more than a few hours. Everything is built on repetition. That's by definition what a format is.'

Notice I mentioned "daily" not just "over a few hours" which is of course a stretch. With PPM I believe the Cume is very important these days - keeping people tuned in.

I would think even if someone is only tuning in just for a few minutes every day and they hear the same old songs after awhile they will not come back and certainly will not stick around.

I would think even if someone is only tuning in just for a few minutes every day and they hear the same old songs after awhile they will not come back and certainly will not stick around.

Some repetition seems to be OK on WRFF. The skill in programming a station is to vary where the songs appear, so it's not the same songs at the same time every day. That way, if you only listen during your commute to work, the songs should be different every day at that time. But overall, if you listen for more than four hours a day, there will be repetition, particularly of the currents. That's by design.

Some repetition seems to be OK on WRFF. The skill in programming a station is to vary where the songs appear, so it's not the same songs at the same time every day. That way, if you only listen during your commute to work, the songs should be different every day at that time. But overall, if you listen for more than four hours a day, there will be repetition, particularly of the currents. That's by design.

Currents are not the issue. I have not timed it but part of my schedule where I have a chance to listen to 92.3 it is the same 90s songs in the same order.

Curious, are they doing the same in Dallas, what I described above? It is supposed to be "new" Alternative but it is increasingly painful to sit through allot of the played out 90s Alternative and there seems to be more of it. For example they keep playing the same 3 Green Day and Beastie Boys songs over and over again in heavy rotation. All too reminiscent of the prior failed incarnation of Alt they tried on K-Rock years ago here.

What percentage would you say is new music in Dallas?

103.7 (DFW) seems to be about the same as 92.3

Take Me To Church
Hozier

NOW PLAYING

Sugar, We're Goin Down
Fall Out Boy

Played at 11:40 PM CT

Line Of Sight
Odesza Feat. Wynne & Mansionair

Played at 11:36 PM CT

Numb
Linkin Park

Played at 11:33 PM CT

Up All Night
Beck

Played at 11:30 PM CT

Scar Tissue
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Played at 11:26 PM CT

One Foot
WALK THE MOON

Played at 11:22 PM CT

The Distance
CAKE

Played at 11:19 PM CT

Sail
AWOLNATION

Played at 11:16 PM CT

Beverly Hills
Weezer

Played at 11:12 PM CT

Lay It On Me
Vance Joy

Played at 11:09 PM CT

Feel So Close
Calvin Harris

Played at 11:05 PM CT

Wish I Knew You
The Revivalists

Played at 11:01 PM CT

Welcome To The Black Parade
My Chemical Romance

Played at 10:57 PM CT

Sit Next To Me
Foster The People

Played at 10:53 PM CT

Lithium
Nirvana

Played at 10:48 PM CT

Ho Hey
The Lumineers

Played at 10:46 PM CT

Friday I'm In Love
The Cure

Played at 10:42 PM CT

Legendary
Welshly Arms

Played at 10:39 PM CT

My Hero
Foo Fighters

Played at 10:35 PM CT

Feel It Still
Portugal. The Man

Played at 10:32 PM CT

The Bad Touch
The Bloodhound Gang

Played at 10:29 PM CT

What's My Age Again?
Blink-182

Played at 10:26 PM CT

Two High
Moon Taxi

Played at 10:23 PM CT

One Love
Bob Marley

Played at 10:20 PM CT

Too Close
Alex Clare

Played at 10:17 PM CT

Longview
Green Day

Played at 10:13 PM CT

Sober Up
AJR

Played at 10:09 PM CT

Come Out And Play
The Offspring

Played at 10:06 PM CT

Angela
The Lumineers

Played at 10:03 PM CT

Show More

©2017 Entercom

The playlists are similar (they ARE the same format, after all), but a quick look on AllAccess shows that Alt in NYC does have a significantly larger current/recurrent playlist than in Dallas.

Personally, I think it's a great mix of old and new stuff. There's plenty of the 90s stuff that I've been sick of for years, but EVERY Alternative station I've ever listened to beats those to death (it seems to test well with plenty of other people, so why not play it). Hopefully it does well, as I believe the way it's set up now is the best chance the format has to succeed in NYC.

on the topic of Dallas getting ALT 103.7 and why the format went away a year ago with The Edge flipping to AC, well, what killed the Edge was a combo of format going stale and repetitive, and the fact that Clear Channel/IHeartRadio decided that sister station KEGL 97.1 The Eagle (which flipped in 2004 from Active Rock to classic AC Sunny and then again to 2005 to a Spanish AC oldies station) needed to be brought back from the dead to Rock once again (during the period between May 2004 to December 2007, The Edge leaned into a more active rock to compensate for the loss of KEGL as a Active Rock station, and next Monday will be the 10th anniversary of The Eagle's relaunch in 2007) and The Eagle being a Rock Station again kinda ate away with KDGE The Edge's ratings (part of the reason was Russ Martin returned to KEGL after being off the air for 2 years after CBS Radio killed Live 105.3, a hot talk station that Russ joined from it's launch in 2000 after leaving The Eagle to be apart of the station from the beginning to the very end). a year latter and Dallas has a Alt Rock station again and The Eagle and KERA/North Texas Public Broadcast owned KXT (KKXT 91.7, a AAA format station) has true completion, as They both became the de facto Alt Rockers in town as The Eagle was The Edge's sister and plus KDGE at 102.1 was previously a rock station as KTXQ Q102 back from the 70s to 1998 until it flipped to a jamming oldies format in late August 1998 and then it moved to 94.5 as KDGE moved from 94.5 to 102.1 when Clear Channel merged with AMFM, Inc and sold the 94.5 frequently, the KTXQ call letters, format/intellectual property to Radio One as part of the conditions of the FTC/DOJ approval of the merger and KDGE The Edge became 102.1 The Edge.

They should take a look at WRFF in Philly, most jocks are live and local and constantly interact with their listeners. At one time they were mostly voicetracked, this is one Alternative station that has tons of personality now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom