• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Reading into Entercom's Divestures

I think the odds of Entercom trying to launch another sports station are only slightly better than the odds of 98.9 going sports were a year ago when that station eventually went rock. The only thing Entercom has going for them that Hubbard didn't was they'll own the CBS sports network. Otherwise, they have the same challenges that Hubbard would have had. This, of course, assumes that 1090 doesn't stay sports.

It all depends on who buys Jack. If it's Bonneville, then yeah maybe they could/would move ESPN to the FM, but I don't think they would do that without pressure to do so (i.e. another owner in town forcing the issue by putting their own sports station on the FM).

Oh wise one...who put news on FM in this market first? It wasn't KOMO.

Say what you want, but FM is the future for spoken word formats as AM listening continues to decline.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think if sports on the FM is going to happen it will be Entercom that does it.

And what station out of the ones they're keeping will they blow up to do it? And what teams are they going to pursue? Bonneville has them locked up for the foreseeable future. (When KIRO lost the Mariners years ago to KOMO, who owned KIRO? It wasn't Bonneville. Do you really think if Bonneville had owned KIRO at that time, they'd let the Mariners get away?)

Last edited:
100.7 The Wolf seems like the logical choice.

And if they did, that would open the door for another broadcaster to take a signal country. Not logical.

A station that is only sports talk, without being a 'team player' will be insignificant.

If Entercom wanted to do sports in Seattle, they would have kept 1090 KFNQ. This would've given them a platform to start from.

Last edited:

Say what you want, but FM is the future for spoken word formats as AM listening continues to decline.

Oh wise one? That's a bit condescending. And you're right, KOMO wasn't the first news station on the FM, KUOW was. Good try though.

And yeah, we're all just speculating, but it's more entertaining than this board has been in a long time.

One interesting thing about this merger is that Entercom will now have the most format-stable group of stations in the market. KMPS, KISW and KNDD are 3 of the most heritage stations in the market. KKWF has been around 12 years too, so it could almost be considered heritage. In a world of quick fixes it's refreshing to see a group of stations that have stayed the course.

Oh wise one? That's a bit condescending. And you're right, KOMO wasn't the first news station on the FM, KUOW was. Good try though.

Not intended to be condescending.

However, I was thinking of KIRO's news-talk format moving to FM. They did the move first, and KOMO reacted with an FM rim-shot. (Is KUOW really news? It's about as newsworthy as KTTH, KVI and KLFE, and completely boring.)

Who said 95.7 was going to be blown up. Are you saying iHeart will be involved in this.....Interesting. Or were your eyes blurry when you read the thread. FYI CBS is selling 1090, if all goes well Entercom will not own it, if they don't own it, how will this new sports station at Entercom get on the air? I read your post and it sound like iHeart is buying the Seattle CBS spin offs. your post kinda does not make sense.

Some of the confusion concerning 95.7 is my own post (I confused KJR-FM's frequency with Jack's), where I may have misquoted another post here by accident.

The point I was trying to make is the same, though.... about the oddness of successful stations possibly getting flipped. Carry on. :)

If Entercom wanted to do sports in Seattle, they would have kept 1090 KFNQ. This would've given them a platform to start from.

Some cognitive dissonance going on here.

Some of the confusion concerning 95.7 is my own post (I confused KJR-FM's frequency with Jack's), where I may have misquoted another post here by accident.

The point I was trying to make is the same, though.... about the oddness of successful stations possibly getting flipped. Carry on. :)

See it wasn't me and no I wasn't blurry eyed. Bottom line is this: people who know what's going on don't take the time to post it on boards like these. The speculation game is just that. A bunch of washed up semi retired AE's board ops and part timers who have nothing better to do than to play fantasy radio GM like myself included. Hey it's better than posting about how MSM won't touch the Uranium One deal and how the Clintons paid for the dirty dossier on Trump. Oh wait I forgot this isn't reddit.

Some cognitive dissonance going on here.

You missed the point as per usual. IF Entercom wanted to have a sports station, they could start with KFNQ, and after acquiring a team contract, they could move it to FM. KFNQ could've been a starting point, when after moving to FM could be sold later.

Last edited:
And completely winning.

You call begging for money every other month winning? More like whining. Plus they're partially supported by tax dollars, which makes their job easier than those who seek out advertisers.

Of course they 'win' in extreme left Seattle. Running a private radio station or any kind or private business is greedy and evil.

Last edited:
You missed the point as per usual. IF Entercom wanted to have a sports station, they could start with KFNQ, and after acquiring a team contract, they could move it to FM. KFNQ could've been a starting point, when after moving to FM could be sold later.

You're saying in order to attract a sports team for play by play rights or in order to simply be recognized in the market, a station must get traction on what you acknowledged as a dying AM band? That's ridiculous. Why not do something bold and go on FM in the first place? That would be a competitive advantage over KJR-AM and KIRO-AM out of the gate.

You call begging for money every other month winning? More like whining. Plus they're partially supported by tax dollars, which makes their job easier than those who seek out advertisers.

First you complain about them "begging for money," and then say their job is "easier." Asking for listener support isn't easy. Neither is asking advertisers for money. Neither is qualifying for government support. Someone has to pay for free radio. KUOW puts together listener support, corporate support, and some tax money to fund a service that advertisers alone won't pay for. At least not in Seattle. Why? Typically the audience is too old. Same with several other stations in Seattle.

You call begging for money every other month winning?

No, I call leading in Nielsen ratings winning.

More like whining.

Take a close look at the initiatives KUOW has undertaken in the past few years, both in digital and content. They are a prime example of how creating interesting and compelling content wins every time. And in order to achieve those, they have to pay people to create the infrastructure and the journalism.

Look at the opposite side of things, such as Sinclair. They're busy cutting jobs, fighting employment discrimination suits, a camera operator union and bad press about corporate agenda-driven programming mandates in newscasts.

Compare the directions of those two operations and see who is winning and who is whining.

Plus they're partially supported by tax dollars, which makes their job easier than those who seek out advertisers.

KUOW is a non-profit organization. Thus, their financials are very easy to find; 88% of their funding is non-tax dollars (listener donations and business support/underwriting).

If you want to complain about entities and tax dollars, Google the long list of companies that pay zero tax dollars and ask yourself if you're happy to be supporting those companies.

Of course they 'win' in extreme left Seattle. Running a private radio station or any kind or private business is greedy and evil.

There are few "private business" radio operators in Seattle. Hubbard and Crista are two big names that come to mind (oh, and be sure to look up Crista and their tax status while you're at it).

No, I call leading in Nielsen ratings winning.

Take a close look at the initiatives KUOW has undertaken in the past few years, both in digital and content. They are a prime example of how creating interesting and compelling content wins every time. And in order to achieve those, they have to pay people to create the infrastructure and the journalism.

Look at the opposite side of things, such as Sinclair. They're busy cutting jobs, fighting employment discrimination suits, a camera operator union and bad press about corporate agenda-driven programming mandates in newscasts.

Compare the directions of those two operations and see who is winning and who is whining.

KUOW is a non-profit organization. Thus, their financials are very easy to find; 88% of their funding is non-tax dollars (listener donations and business support/underwriting).

If you want to complain about entities and tax dollars, Google the long list of companies that pay zero tax dollars and ask yourself if you're happy to be supporting those companies.

There are few "private business" radio operators in Seattle. Hubbard and Crista are two big names that come to mind (oh, and be sure to look up Crista and their tax status while you're at it).

AQH - Mic Drop, Well done!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom