• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAHM Sells Out

Here's another question. With KAHM going and 97.5 - Rochester gone, Is there any station with the format left besides WJIB and Sirius/XM 'Escape'?

And the changes continue.........
On my car radio, gone are the artist and title of each song as well
as advertisers name and telephone during commercial breaks.

Thursday, December 7, 2017, FCC Daily Digest. KYCA and KAHM sale approved.

AM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR ASSIGNMENT OF LICENSE GRANTED
AZ PRESCOTT
1490 KHZ
BAL-20170928ACX Facility ID: 61433
Voluntary Assignment of License, as amended
To: PHOENIX RADIO BROADCASTING, LLC
Form 314 *GRANTED WITH CONDITION*

FM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR ASSIGNMENT OF LICENSE GRANTED
AZ SPRING VALLEY
BALH-20170928ADB Facility ID: 61510
Voluntary Assignment of License, as amended
To: PHOENIX RADIO BROADCASTING, LLC
Form 314 *GRANTED WITH CONDITION*

Here's another question. With KAHM going and 97.5 - Rochester gone, Is there any station with the format left besides WJIB and Sirius/XM 'Escape'?

WJIB offers more of an adult standards format than beautiful music. I count around eight beautiful music AM/FM stations remaining in the U.S.

KGUD Longmont, CO
KHOY Laredo, TX
KLUX Robston-Corpus Christi, TX
KNCT Killeen. TX
KWXY-AM Palm Springs, CA
WGCY Gibson City, IL
WHLC Highlands, NC (WHLC is about 50/50 instrumentals to vocals)
WAVV Naples, FL

There are a few noncommercial public radio FM stations in New Mexico which air the format at various times throughout the day. Cannot remember offhand the calls for those stations.

Has anyone heard of any new pending format change for KAHM since the license was approved for transfer in early December?

WJIB offers more of an adult standards format than beautiful music. I count around eight beautiful music AM/FM stations remaining in the U.S.

KGUD Longmont, CO
KHOY Laredo, TX
KLUX Robston-Corpus Christi, TX
KNCT Killeen. TX
KWXY-AM Palm Springs, CA
WGCY Gibson City, IL
WHLC Highlands, NC (WHLC is about 50/50 instrumentals to vocals)
WAVV Naples, FL

There are a few noncommercial public radio FM stations in New Mexico which air the format at various times throughout the day. Cannot remember offhand the calls for those stations.

Has anyone heard of any new pending format change for KAHM since the license was approved for transfer in early December?

There's also KLUX in Corpus Christi. Like KHOY, it's owned by the local Catholic Diocese.

As for KAHM, it doesn't look like the sale has closed yet, so it's business as usual for them.

As for KAHM, it doesn't look like the sale has closed yet, so it's business as usual for them.

Still waiting for the consummation notice to be filed. Maybe KAHM wanted to delay the close until the new year for tax reasons. Unlike CCF, they aint non-profit and the gain will be taxed. New tax rates kick in for 20~Eighteen, so a closing after 1/01 will save some money.

I don't think the sale has completed. I listened to them yesterday, same old "beautiful music". Also, the lady announcer still says "Always calm --always will be" if that is any hint or can be trusted. Kind of sad to see the station go away actually, was holding out hope the format wouldn't change. Is it possible they could sell their intellectual property ie the music library to someone else?

Is it possible they could sell their intellectual property ie the music library to someone else?

Of course they could...but not many takers for music that attracts señor citizens. As far as the call letters go, they're so associated with elevator music they really don't have much value. Cable providers usually have a channel for this music, plus SiriusXM runs Escape on Channel 69.

Of course they could...but not many takers for music that attracts señor citizens. As far as the call letters go, they're so associated with elevator music they really don't have much value. Cable providers usually have a channel for this music, plus SiriusXM runs Escape on Channel 69.

Don't believe the stereotype that the beautiful music format attracts just senior citizens. Many of us are in our 30s, 40s and 50s, even a few 20-somethings, as we learned to appreciate the music at an early age from our parents and grandparents. We are the remnant of beautiful music listeners today.

This is my list of beautiful music stations streaming online. Yeah, the site doesn't look all that great, but it is primarily designed to provide info for listeners searching for the beautiful music format.

http://ezradio.info/stations.html

This is what I don't understand, passtheword, if what you are saying can be documented, why are there not many, many more beautiful music radio stations? I'm not saying you are wrong. I am saying either you know something radio folks have not discovered or you might be swayed by your love for the format. If you can justify your statement, and would like to help to establish a new trend, I would suggest trying to locate some investors to acquire a station or better yet, lease one. It can be a low cost operation, computer driven, but certainly you would need to stream or perhaps your stream should be the station. Perhaps commercial driven or listener supported.

I suspect, like me, you probably know a few thousand people in a cross section of ages and maybe up to half, you might have an idea of their musical preferences. As for me, I actually do know one female, about 30, who does like beautiful music. She also listens to CHR, Classical and Contemporary Christian and I sure wouldn't say she is an odd duck either.

There is still the question as to whether the sale of KAHM/KYCA included the
full power transmitter atop Badger Mtn. It would not at all surprise me if
they retained the KAHM calls and found another frequency allocation to use.

There is still the question as to whether the sale of KAHM/KYCA included the
full power transmitter atop Badger Mtn. It would not at all surprise me if

The agreement on file with the FCC says that the call letters and intellectual property of the stations go to the buyer.

The real estate portion and equipment list aren't included with the public filing, but there's nothing in the part of the agreement that's public that would make me think they were going to keep the old transmitter site. It's a very standard APA.

The radio station IS the transmitter site. That's the only thing which is licensed by the FCC. Without the transmitter site, it's not a radio station.

Joe's holding onto hope that the current owners would keep the aux site that was left behind when they moved to a different site to get another allocation that would be difficult to come by. Never mind that I don't think the old site is still licensed as an aux...

It's wishful thinking. If the current owners wanted to stay in the radio business with a B/EZ format in Prescott, they wouldn't be selling all of their stations to Radio Campesina.

It would not at all surprise me if

Why? The station was apparently no longer profitable, and the owner's widow did not seem interested in continuing to run the station without her husband.

Don't believe the stereotype that the beautiful music format attracts just senior citizens. Many of us are in our 30s, 40s and 50s, even a few 20-somethings, as we learned to appreciate the music at an early age from our parents and grandparents. We are the remnant of beautiful music listeners today.

As the owner and programmer of a significant Beautiful Music syndicator from "the days" I can tell you that the under-70 listener to the format is such a tiny part of any market's total population as to generally be missed by the ratings services. There may be a few younger partisans of the format, but they are like teenage Sinatra fans... as rare as dodo birds in most markets.

As the owner and programmer of a significant Beautiful Music syndicator from "the days" I can tell you that the under-70 listener to the format is such a tiny part of any market's total population as to generally be missed by the ratings services.

However, back "in the day," these stations were often used as in-store muzak. So lots of under-70 people were hearing these stations, just not making the connection for diary mentions. These stations would also play multiple songs in a row with little talk and no imaging. Of course today, stories have lots of other choices available, including their own corporate networks and Sirius.

.. the owner's widow did not seem interested in continuing to run the station without her husband.

She hung in a lot longer than most people thought. However, the exit plan to move the COL to Spring Valley and make KAHM's signal a player in the Valley was approved on January 11, 2013. Lou Silverstein (the owner) died almost exactly one year later.

This is what I don't understand, passtheword, if what you are saying can be documented, why are there not many, many more beautiful music radio stations? I'm not saying you are wrong. I am saying either you know something radio folks have not discovered or you might be swayed by your love for the format. If you can justify your statement, and would like to help to establish a new trend, I would suggest trying to locate some investors to acquire a station or better yet, lease one. It can be a low cost operation, computer driven, but certainly you would need to stream or perhaps your stream should be the station. Perhaps commercial driven or listener supported.

I suspect, like me, you probably know a few thousand people in a cross section of ages and maybe up to half, you might have an idea of their musical preferences. As for me, I actually do know one female, about 30, who does like beautiful music. She also listens to CHR, Classical and Contemporary Christian and I sure wouldn't say she is an odd duck either.

There are many beautiful music listeners in the younger age groups, yes, but let's face it...most 20, 30 and 40-somethings do not listen to beautiful music. I am merely saying that today's beautiful music audience is comprised of younger age brackets and the format is not just a 70+/dead demo as many assume it to be. I usually see and hear those kinds of comments from people who don't appreciate the music, anyway which his why they make their missasumptions about who listens to the format. Several friends and I do (collectively) around fourteen internet-based beautiful music stations. Those of us doing the stations are not 70+ years of age; our ages range from early 30s to early 50s. As I mentioned previously, we, as many other younger beautiful music listeners, learned to appreciate the format at an early age, from our parents or grandparents primarily. I began an interest in the music when I was 14 years of age (I am 49 now). A friend/fellow webcaster and I also started and administrated a facebook page a couple of years ago when SiriusXM moved their beautiful music channel ESCAPE to an internet-only venue to implore the satcaster to return ESCAPE to their satellite lineup. We had around 500 people in the group contacting SiriusXM daily with emails, phone calls, written letters, and posting on SiriusXM's facebook wall protesting the removal of ESCAPE. The ESCAPE listeners were of varied ages, not just "old folks" that the format is supposedly meant to appeal. Granted, we did have our share of older listeners following the page, but we regularly had listeners in their 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's checking in on the page, too, who told us they were longtime ESCAPE listeners and fans of the beautiful music format. We had one man who was in his early 30's and he was livid about ESCAPE being removed. He commented on the page that he had phoned SiriusXM 73 times within a month's time to complain and demand the channel be restored to the satellite lineup. So...no, this format isn't just for the 70+ crowd and the listeners aren't all dead, either (last time i looked, I was still kicking). People who make those assumptions and claims about the beautiful music format should do a little research and educate themselves before they make such blanket statements concerning it. Back to my earlier comment...overall/compared to other radio formats, beautiful music doesn't appeal to an ample supply of younger listeners to make the format saleable. If that were the case, we would see a huge number of broadcast radio stations offering the format today.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom