• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wjjz will be gone as of midnight.

the liner after queen was "you've found breakthrough radio with life changing stories from kids to grandparents and music" or something like that

Same crap on 106.1 HD2 and 3 , but the readout says Real-FM and Smooth Jazz JJZ plus title and artist now its Marvin Gaye, What's Going On....It seems they are keeping the Smooth Jazz readout title and artist for now, even though the format is the new 1480 LOL. Is the readout for the on line Smooth Jazz format or does the readout info really even exist...

Ughh!! I hate sugar sugar! the goddamn archies. It seems they're playing the happiest go lucky s**t recorded.

"Despacito" notwithstanding, if they're playing the Archies, Queen and Marvin Gaye, they're obviously not making kids their top priority. This is grandma and grandpa stuff. I don't suppose that matters, since it sounds like the station is going to be a publicity outlet for the hospital, with funding through the hospital's budget, rather than a normal commercial station that has to sell advertising and turn a profit.

"Despacito" notwithstanding, if they're playing the Archies, Queen and Marvin Gaye, they're obviously not making kids their top priority. This is grandma and grandpa stuff. I don't suppose that matters, since it sounds like the station is going to be a publicity outlet for the hospital, with funding through the hospital's budget, rather than a normal commercial station that has to sell advertising and turn a profit.

Yeah. Squinting at the logo on iHeart, it says "Powered by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia" Knowing the limitations of the signal, iHeart could be using the signal for goodwill, knowing how hard it is to make a profit on it.

That being said, I guess we can assume JJZ will stay on 106.1 HD2 and this will be on 106.1 HD3?

Also, will iHeart do anything with W281BI (104.1) in Trenton, which is listed as a translator for WISX? Could they try to squeeze that into Philly and throw JJZ there?

Yeah. Squinting at the logo on iHeart, it says "Powered by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia" Knowing the limitations of the signal, iHeart could be using the signal for goodwill, knowing how hard it is to make a profit on it.

That being said, I guess we can assume JJZ will stay on 106.1 HD2 and this will be on 106.1 HD3?

Also, will iHeart do anything with W281BI (104.1) in Trenton, which is listed as a translator for WISX? Could they try to squeeze that into Philly and throw JJZ there?

Just seeing the info on another site. Breakthrough Radio is now on 105.3-HD2

Very interesting. Thinking deeper on this, I have to wonder if they will look at the providers of product for the medical facility to be tapped for advertising or funding to support the radio venture. Targeting the more 'health aware' demographics, imparting tips in short spurts in an entertainment environment might be a great idea. Lots of people turn to family for health tips (ie: daughter calls mom or grandma when the baby has these symptoms), so it might work. The facility can bolster good community PR and still provide an outreach educational program through radio and hopefully it won't cost them a penny once everything is in place.

I have to wonder if they will look at the providers of product for the medical facility to be tapped for advertising or funding to support the radio venture.

Advertising? Not if they continue to get a .1 share. My sense is this is a way for iHeart to keep an AM station on the air. It's a form of brokered radio, but for a non-profit. I think we'll see more of this for small AM stations moving forward.

My point in 'advertising' is where vendors who win the bid to provide various services and products to the medical facility chip in on the cost to operate the radio station, riding the coattails of the good PR the programming creates. In essence, the PR efforts of the facility is funded by the providers, likely under the realm of a non-profit organization they earn a write-off from by contributing. If it is ratings based advertising I doubt they'd grab any dollars!

Remember the .1 is the historical rating, not that of the new format. At least a medical facility has a customer base they can encourage customers to listen. The question is if they will. A .1 might be the best they can expect but I figure they're at the bottom now and almost anything is an improvement.

Will it work? It's a longshot, but from a radio perspective, what a novel idea birthed via iHeart for a poorly performing AM. I agree, this is a likely scenario for many more struggling AM properties.

The fact is more and more AM stations are leasing their broadcast day but only a handful of entities are seeking a station to lease. In the Houston market, for example, two ministries have purchased a few AM stations each, leasing them to fund their respective ministry. If the station goes unleased, they simply plug in the ministry programming found elsewhere, sometimes at a few spots on the radio dial (not unlike the state Public Radio Networks where you might hear them of two or three frequencies at any given place). In short, supply is beginning to exceed demand, so more creative avenues are required.

Last edited:
106.1, 2 and 3 are still Smooth Jazz, ok I can understand one continuing the SJ format but why both. Standards should occupy the 2 or 3 it would compliment the SJ format. I am waiting for the legal ID on both.

So 1480 AM got a 0.1 share in 6+ by playing a format that some people were seeking out. (It's amazing that the OTA could even get that--especially with a music format--because I can't remember a time when I could tune to 1480 and get an even remotely listenable signal.) So now they're playing a format that no one asked for and which I guess will be targeting patients and family members of a hospital? Anyone expecting that 0.1 to rise might want to tamp down that enthusiasm. :)

Also, anyone thinking (twice) that iHeart is going to buy 1210 AM because of this... Well actually, I have no words.

So I'm actually laughing here at my desk. I've been listening to the stream for a bit just for $hits & giggles. This music library makes absolutely no sense. I suppose if people want something in the background and this is on, it might be more pleasant that having to sit in silence. I can definitively say it's better than listening to a smoke alarm or air raid siren. But these songs do not belong in rotation on the same station. How on earth did someone decide to load these particular tracks?! For an example, while I've been listening, I heard Baby, Come To Me (Patti Austen & James Ingram), then Killing Me Softly (Roberta Flack), then Stay (Zedd!!!!) and Let's Hear It for the Boy by Deneice Williams and now Do You Believe In Magic by Lovin' Spoonful. Lovin' freakin Spoonful. Oh my God. It just went from Do You Believe in Magic to Baby Boy by Beyonce! Clearly, similar target audience. It's madness!

EDIT: After Beyonce, Killing Me Softly played again. It played five songs ago!!! And the file is busted: It skipped in the middle! Maybe this format is actually for some sort of medical mind control experiment.

Hey maybe this format will eventually end up on 1210 AM. (Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry, couldn't resist.)

Last edited:
I believe what is happening is the Hospital is programming the station. In essence, iHeart is using this station much like a real estate person would a commercial building on a corner. They lease the building to an entity that conducts business but the owner of the building has nothing to do with what that merchant does. So, iHeart tell the medical facility, here you go. You paid me. Now you play radio with it.

If I were them (iHeart), I would not want my name associated with this mess at all. But then again, regardless of what songs the hospital wants to play, it's iHeart who has to operate the thing so they are partially to blame for this triainwreck. I am still listening because at this point, it's just hilarious. Justin Bieber on AM. Then, a liner starts but is interrupted by the last 30 seconds of the Justin Bieber song that had just finished. I mean, how does that even happen?!

EDIT: I can't be iHeart because I have a soul. :rolleyes:

Heard the new legal ID and it is Tozzi himself. "Feel good music for healthier kids" whatever the hell that means. They'er playing current top 40 songs. Playing Despacito right now.

With so much rap in the Top 40, i'm surprised they would market towards kids.

My point in 'advertising' is where vendors who win the bid to provide various services and products to the medical facility chip in on the cost to operate the radio station, riding the coattails of the good PR the programming creates. In essence, the PR efforts of the facility is funded by the providers, likely under the realm of a non-profit organization they earn a write-off from by contributing. If it is ratings based advertising I doubt they'd grab any dollars!

At least a medical facility has a customer base they can encourage customers to listen.

As a former patient, I doubt they would do that. They seem to make more money making people pay to watch TV. If anything, they would make this a newer version of the old "Muzak"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom