• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

91.7 k-dance

R

robertsez

I heard a strange signal lighting up the former KUHA this afternoon. All secular music, nothing religious, or even marginally-religious as is often the case with NGEN. No IDs. Limited playlist. It almost sounds like an unlicensed broadcaster has squatted on the frequency since University of Houston pulled the plug.

I presume KSBJ decided not to go through with the transaction, thus saving $10,000,000.00 of donor lettuce.

You should read the KXNG thread before posting and sounding silly.

Actually, I stand by my comments. The entire idea of KSBJ overpaying for the former KTRU allocation was to convey their NGEN (Generation Ex) network to a potentially wider audience. As of this afternoon when I listened to the signal this wasn't occurring. Which sounds "silly."

Actually, I stand by my comments. The entire idea of KSBJ overpaying for the former KTRU allocation was to convey their NGEN (Generation Ex) network to a potentially wider audience. As of this afternoon when I listened to the signal this wasn't occurring. Which sounds "silly."

This is likely either a test or a stunt to attract attention. Program tests for a rebuilt facility often feature music not at all like what the station will eventually program.

I just found it odd that the Christian broadcaster would go to a secular format, when it's supposed to be broadcasting for Jesus, that type of thing. Sure KSBJ probably needs money, but I just haven't heard of that type of behavior on a CHRISTIAN station before, unless you count the Spanish thing on 104.5. KXNG should at least run legal IDs so they're not illegal.

You should read the KXNG thread before posting and sounding silly.

Actually, what he's referencing, is the fact that you're late to the party. I created a thread about this very subject hours ago. I think what Frog's trying to say (and sorry for putting words in your mouth Frog) is open your eyes. You've now duplicated topics. We'd certainly appreciate you keeping up, especially since we've been so kindly tolerating your constant disruption to our forum.

...and thank you.

I just found it odd that the Christian broadcaster would go to a secular format, when it's supposed to be broadcasting for Jesus, that type of thing. Sure KSBJ probably needs money, but I just haven't heard of that type of behavior on a CHRISTIAN station before, unless you count the Spanish thing on 104.5. KXNG should at least run legal IDs so they're not illegal.

91-7 is running a TOH ID in accordance with the law, Mouse. Not always on the TOH, but nonetheless, an ID. No mention of K217GB.

91-7 is running a TOH ID in accordance with the law, Mouse. Not always on the TOH, but nonetheless, an ID. No mention of K217GB.

But no Christian programming, which supposedly is the mission of the new licensee. Which strikes me as odd, because it puts the parent corporation in the same category as Clear Channel, CBS, and iHeart. Except for one minor difference: they are non-profit.

The issue regarding "needs the money" and a dance format don't mesh. Dance is not a successful format on a commercial frequency, and thinking that EDM or dance fans will donate enough to sustain this major investment seems, at best, odd. I'm challenged to think of any major underwriting that a dance format could obtain, either.

104.5 is leased to a bunch of former employees of some of the major Houston stations and operates commercially. It's a commercial channel translator rebroadcasting a commercial HD channel (which is also leased).

The closest to a "commercial" station on a non-commercial station I have heard is La Campesina, KNAI, in Phoenix. On a non-com channel, it skirts the underwriting rules and runs loads of announcements for local businesses. It obviously pays its expenses, as it has been in format for well over two decades. Of course, that is not a Christian-based owner, but a labor union.

Gotta pay off this 1o Million debt somehow...

And how can they generate revenue with a dance format on below-92.1 channel?

Joe files a complaint and stops the KSBJ 91.7 takeover dead in its tracks. Joe dismisses his objection, gives the FCC a statement saying he received no compensation for the dismissal, and a $10 million dollar deal quickly goes through with assignment of license. Joe puts two unlicensed but properly registered white space devices on 87.85. The FCC inspects one of the white space stations and doesn't order a cease and desist.

I've already made the connection between these two events. Your unlicensed broadcast station was shut down. End of story.

And you have already been given a cease and desist order by a higher authority to stop hijacking threads to promote your own illegal, libelous or unethical activities. Your cooperation would be greatly appreciated.

That's not really the licensee's concern. They LMA the station to another group that pays the lease, which pays the note.

And would the Public File contain the LMA agreement?

"Time brokerage agreements (as required by 73.3526(e)(14)) (retain for as long as contract or agreement in force). These are contracts or agreements that allow one or more parties other than the station’s owner to provide programming, sell advertising time in the brokered programming and, in some cases, operate the station on a day-to-day basis. These agreements are sometimes referred to as Local Marketing Agreements or LMAs. Confidential or proprietary information, may be redacted from these documents."

David, its so funny how you all will accept almost anything. To those who believed me and are sending me PMs, its a joke. They're letting Mike have fun until August 8th. Then NGEN will launch.

Good night.

You don't get sarcasm at all, do you?

I already posted that this seemed like a way of testing the new gear or filling in till other facilities were heard:

"This is likely either a test or a stunt to attract attention. Program tests for a rebuilt facility often feature music not at all like what the station will eventually program."

My follow ups were intended to point out the absurdity of truly putting dance on a listener supported non-com.

Actually, you don't get anything, do you? Obviously, making false posts to prove some kind of perverse and nasty point is perfectly OK in your value system.

Nothing false, David. Another group is using the primary analog station channel -- an LMA in everything but name -- to test the K-Dance format. On August 8th it will be reassigned to a HD subchannel and very probably the 91.3 translator.

Of course your post was false and deceptive because you know, or think you know, other facts which you did not reveal.

And this is not an "LMA" in any way. It is more like having a temporary PD to fill in some hours until the regular format is ready. An LMA includes sales, management, programming and administration and often even includes engineering. The licensee implements systems and retains control of the license... but the LMA contractor does everything else. In this case, all we have is some guy playing some .wav or .mp3 files on somebody else's radio station.

That's not really the licensee's concern. They LMA the station to another group that pays the lease, which pays the note. At this point that's the only thing that is important. I agree with you all. It probably won't last. If and when the format doesn't make it, who will be the next group to LMA...

Show me the LMA, Joe. Are the donors aware this agreement exists?

As a Christian believer - and NGEN fan - I find some of the songs on k-dance repulsive and inappropriate on a facility owned by a Christian group.

I think we had this conversation already, La MEJOR plays noting but secular music that is inappropriate for a facility owned by a Christian group as well. And the same is being done her at KSBJs KXGN.

As a Christian believer - and NGEN fan - I find some of the songs on k-dance repulsive and inappropriate on a facility owned by a Christian group.

I agree. I wonder what the donors think, since they are ultimately footing the bill for this nonsense.

Let me just say I'm super excited about this! EDM isn't my favorite format, but I do like it. Also, it's not Spanish or Religious, or both. K-Dance is tapping into a format that isn't being served in Houston on the terrestrial level, and I for one wish more markets would try this. Today is a great day!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom