• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phone and email SPAM and SCAM alerts

Probably just using some off-the-shelf speech software.

Very possible. But again, that is why I asked.

Changing subject just a bit.

The death final insurance scam callers tend to disconnect after the question related to being confined to a bed when I mention I was handcuffed to a bed by some lady and it was a great evening.

Usually when I get the automated scam calls that are looking for a Yes answer I'll go "WHUUUT", and sometimes it still transfers me to them, which iw when I really let them have it. :p

I got a scam call today by someone claiming to be my oldest grandson (With an Indian accent??? :unsure:) I may be old enough to be a grandfather but my only daughter is 18 and (hopefully) no grandkids yet. :rolleyes:

I got a scam email and can't copy and paste or anything. If I click on the link (or right-click and copy) to check the order information the URL starts with shoutout.wix.com. The return address was obviously not Amazon and Amazon told me what to do after I went to their actual web site.

It says "Thank you for choosing Amazon" and that I ordered an Apple MacBook and the cost is about $1600. Someone else's address, in Florida (I'm in North Carolina) is the address to ship to, and the name of the town is after a comma on the line with the street address, then it says Florida on the next line with the zip code. If I need assistance call 1-800-320-5504.

I got a scam email and can't copy and paste or anything. If I click on the link (or right-click and copy) to check the order information the URL starts with shoutout.wix.com. The return address was obviously not Amazon and Amazon told me what to do after I went to their actual web site.

It says "Thank you for choosing Amazon" and that I ordered an Apple MacBook and the cost is about $1600. Someone else's address, in Florida (I'm in North Carolina) is the address to ship to, and the name of the town is after a comma on the line with the street address, then it says Florida on the next line with the zip code. If I need assistance call 1-800-320-5504.

Oh yeah, I've received trash emails like these as well. I first verify everything in my account is good, then report these messages as phishing scams.

Received a scam email via my work account:

Facebook Notification <[email protected]>
Thu 4/1/2021 3:49 AM

To:

Attn: Winner
This is to officially inform you that FACEBOOK LOTTERY Award Winners 2021 announces you as one of the 25 lucky winners during the online Facebook Nationwide Promotion Prize Award.

You have won sum of $3.5 Million USD on the draw accomplished and your E-mail Address was among the lucky winners (Ref. Winning Ticket Number: (US13 4231 754063FB)

Thank you.

FACEBOOK LOTTERY © 2021

Yesterday I was told there had been a data breach involving my Apple devices. I have no Apple devices.

I was told to speak to tech support press 1. By the time I heard that it probably wouldn't have sent me anywhere but if I had answered the phone, maybe.

This afternoon, I received a scam call regarding getting the interest rate lowered on my Discover card and naturally, I opted to speak to one of their reps.

Since I wasn't home at the time, I didn't have access to my list of fake but check-sum accurate card numbers, so I made up a card number. He asked me to repeat it and of course, I could not. Then he accused me of playing games and wasting his time, and of course, I agreed, that was exactly the point of talking with him.

I've gotten several of the refund associated scams, basically, the scammers want to have remote access to my computer via AnyDesk or TeamViewer and I've managed to keep them on the phone long enough for them to finally figure out I must be the most stupid computer user, which is about right, because I do this without even using a computer. I just know enough about the screen prompts for these types of programs that I can walk them through the initial set-ups from memory.

Wastes their time, but that is the point.

My rule these days is if I don't recognize the number, particularly if it's an unfamiliar area code, I don't answer. 99-1/2% of the time, it's a scam. And I get dozens a day. And I'm on the do-not-call list.
I think I found a better way. I switched my phone company landline to an VOIP (voice over internet protocol) service. My monthly bill dropped from $30+ to just over $6 per month but that's not the best part. I used to get many scam calls every day on my old landline. Since the switch I get very few. The VOIP service (which is called VOIPO) has it's own database of scammers and I can add more from my personal experience. I now get perhaps 2-3 per month as opposed to 10-12 per day. Silence is golden!

But the scammers are getting more difficult to spot. The other day I got a voicemail which said it was thanking me for renewing my subscription to The Geek Squad (for something around $350). I knew I didn't use that service but just in case I checked my credit cards and, of course, no charges appeared. The next day I got another voicemail that said if I had not charged the renewal I could just dial '1' and be connected to "customer service". Tricky, no?

A friend of mine received a check to be a secret shopper and this check was very good, it wasn't photoshopped, it appeared to have been printed on real security check paper stock.

He knew the check was fake, because he had called the bank involved and they had no record of such an account number with the name on the check.

I didn't go past the web page, but it might not be too difficult to get good paper stock for printing out fake checks:

I just got a call saying multiple purchases have been made in different countries using my Apple account. If I did not make those purchases, I need to press 1 to talk to an Apple technical advisor.

I have no Apple devices.

Today I received multiple texts from multiple numbers with a message saying "Your order status changed - Despatched (misspelled) Track here"
..And it gives a link to click on which is not a web address, but it's what looks like computer coding, starting with ftwm.pw/ and several numbers and letters.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned previously in this thread (I didn't go back to read all 29 pages) but if you're an AT&T customer, you can copy and past SPAM messages you get and text them to "SPAM" (7726) and they'll send an automated text back, asking you to forward the number it came from. I've sent them a bunch of stuff over the years, I'm not sure if it helps at all or if AT&T actually does anything with those as it's quite obviously an automated system.

Perhaps one of the more unusual spam emails:

PRESENTATION-TOULOUSE-A320FAMILY, Aircraft <[email protected]>
Thu 6/17/2021 6:12 PM

Dear Customer,
Please be advised that on June, 18th 2021 at 12:45, your Aircraft will be available for the following presentation attached.

(PDF link inserted here)

This Presentation is in accordance with : FM1302305 issue C
Chapter n° 3 Item 20
State Full visit
My apologies for the emergency arrival of this call up
I look forward in seeing you at the meeting.
Best regards
Pierre
Pierre Lebru
A320 FAL Customer Manager
Phone: +33 (0) 582 054 071
Mobile: +33 (0) 682 575 002
Email: [email protected]
AIRBUS Operations S.A.S.
Site de Saint Martin du Touch
Building M91, 4th Floor, Office N488
Toulouse, France

------------