• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Phone and email SPAM and SCAM alerts

Getting credit card and Microsoft calls over here alot lately.I hope the commission lets the telecos go on to block these calls from where ever they are coming from .If geo blocking works on online .Maybe they can do the same in blocking a string of numbers that come into the states before they get piggybacked on phone numbers they spoof off on...

On online all my spam gets dump into a spam folder and gets dumped every 30 days..

Philip Chukwu <[email protected]>
To:
[email protected]

Aug 18 at 7:22 AM

Hi,

Please advise i am interested. I find your contact from internet.
Please can i invest my personal money in your country OR in your establishment I am interested .I will be retiring from my Work 2019. I will be happy if you can invest this money for me in your country.please get back to me i will send you more detail information the total investment fund is $2.5 million dollars, .Reply Now

Best regards,
Philip E.Chuks

To:
[email protected]

Hi,

Please can i invest my personal money in your country OR in your establishment I am interested .I will be retiring from my Work 2019. I will be happy if you can invest this money for me in your country.please get back to me i will send you more detail information the total investment fund is $2.5 million dollars, .Reply Now

Best regards,
Philip E.Chuks

That actually sounds kind of legit.

The Netherlands has quite the racket going too when you check the IP addresses of blocked attempts.

This is the dumbest email I've ever seen. I receive a bunch of them every day as I have for months. This is the entire text of the email:

[h=2]RADIODISCUSSIONS.ONLINE! We need your confirmation to stop sending you emails ![/h]

The shop where I get my computers repaired just sent out a lengthy eNewsletter about computer repair
and virus removal scams. I don't have their permission to post it here, but there appear to be a ton of them
going around right now.

The shop where I get my computers repaired just sent out a lengthy eNewsletter about computer repair
and virus removal scams. I don't have their permission to post it here, but there appear to be a ton of them
going around right now.

I suppose if someone really gets bored, a YouTube search on Wenja92, Kitboga, PapaMonkey and Hoax Hotel will show at least four people are attempting to bog down the scammers.

This is the dumbest email I've ever seen. I receive a bunch of them every day as I have for months. This is the entire text of the email:

[h=2]RADIODISCUSSIONS.ONLINE! We need your confirmation to stop sending you emails ![/h]

Yeah actually some of those you have to manually click the unsubscribe button to stop getting the emails.

Yeah actually some of those you have to manually click the unsubscribe button to stop getting the emails.

Remember that many of the spam-sent ones use "unsubscribe" to verify that your email actually is in use. I only unsubscribe from known senders (like a company I may have ordered from but don't want constant email from) using logical "from" addresses.

All others I put blocks on using my email provider's procedures for this. All the rest I have sent to the junk mail folder in Outlook.

That actually sounds kind of legit.

So someone you do not know who can't construct a correct sentence wants you to administer several million dollars?

What part of that really sounds legitimate?

To:
[email protected]

Hi,

Best regards,
Philip E.Chuks

Most chinese people are pretty legitamite when it comes to business.

So someone you do not know who can't construct a correct sentence wants you to administer several million dollars?

What part of that really sounds legitimate?

You are probably right though I mean I probably personally would not respond to it but that is just me i cant speak for others.

You are probably right though I mean I probably personally would not respond to it but that is just me i cant speak for others.

David’s not “probably” right, he IS right. If you can’t see that a freaking sentence isn’t even spelled or punctuated correctly, there’s an issue.

I am thinking that many of these scams can likely be traced to a breach that may have occurred at an ISP, especially ones where much of the country went down, but the service providers either did not know or simply did not say anything, and several months or even a year or more later these things are turning up.

Here is an example of how complicated these scams have become. It's not just phone or email scams, but even texting scams.

A few weeks ago, I received a text, informing be that "Franklin" is looking forward to seeing me for my appointment. I read the text, and wondered who Franklin was, and what is this appointment for. But I didn't respond to the text. Then a few days ago, I received another text reminding me of my appointment with "Franklin." Each of the texts asked me to respond. I didn't respond.

Then today, I received a phone call from a number I didn't recognize. Moments later, there was a voicemail. I listened to the voicemail, and it was another reminder for this appointment that I never made. The voicemail directed me to call a certain phone number to confirm my appointment. But the most curious thing was the voicemail never said who was calling. It never said who my appointment is with. There is a blank space in the robo-voicemail for the doctor's office name. But there was no name given. That was when I realized the scam. The purpose of the scam apparently is to obtain a response. My so-called appointment is in a couple days. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Yeah, I'm receiving scam text messages similar to those mentioned in the previous post as well. Don't respond, don't intend to since I know it's BS. They don't bother with follow-ups since, I guess, they realize the recipient figured out it was a scam.

Back
Top Bottom