• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHO WILL GO ALL CHRISTMAS FIRST IN NEW YORK? AND WHEN?

Who will go all Christmas first in New York? The answer is...

WFAS-FM Bronxville

While not licensed to New York, NY. proper, the Cumulus station at 103.9FM is well within the New York-market boasting a very good signal serving much of it.

WFAS FM is not really all-Christmas. According to their website, they are now playing Xmas music weekends, nights, and "at work." So morning and afternoon drive apparently will have their usual a/c music.

There is a pirate in Newark on 103.9 that is about as strong, if not stronger, than WFAS. So you won't be hearing them in NJ.

Yes that 103.9 pirate is very strong......WFAS-FM is good only to the Route 17/4 interchange in Paramus and south of there its a mess....Before the pirate you could get them fairly well in parts of Essex & Union

pjc1961 said:
Fresh 102.7 will not go Christmas since it programs in direct opposition to LiteFM and tries to grab listeners who might tune away from the HolidayLiteTM ;);
usually to no avail, however.

It's been fairly well established over the last 5+ years (maybe longer) that WLTW usually turns on the HolidayLiteTM on the Friday before Thanksgiving (in 2012 on Nov. 16) at 5pm ET. Some years it's just for the weekend, then resumes on Thanksgiving - other years just straight through.

WCBS-FM has ramped up the holiday tunage in the 7pm-midnight shift in some previous years.
Otherwise, outside of The City, WALK Patchogue, maybe WKJY Hempstead plus some of the suburban NJ Adult Contemporary stations will go Christmas around the same date, give or take a week.

Basically most (if not all) NYC stations stick to business and let LiteFM have their fun with their 10-share for 5-6 weeks.
Whaddya gonna do when Rudolph runs wild on you?

As for 94.7...

In my opinion, it makes no sense to "stunt" a Christmas format before changing to an incongruous format afterwards, especially if it's a talk, rock or country format. I get the whole "flushing the audience" bit and trying to build up publicity for the new station (similar to what Merlin tried with the "FM New 101.9" Hot AC transition with the chocolate box prizes, etc.) but I'd think that Cumulus would like to get whatever the new format is going to be on the air ASAP (with the caveat that it's ready to go, unlike the WEMP disaster).
This point may be moot should the closing on the station sale not occur until mid-December.

Speaking as someone who would like 94.7 to go rock, I've found that alternative stations are the only place to get away from the X-mas songs Lite plays over and over gain. Even WDHA goes into Lite holiday territory sometimes. I hope that if Cumulus decides to put a rock format, they close as soon as possible so that fans who want to listen to Xmas songs but not the overplayed ones have a place to go to. And overdoing the publicity building like what Merlin did with free chocolate is a waste of money if you don't have the quality to back it up (I got myself a box without ever tuning in).

unknown123 said:
WLTW confirmed they will flip this Friday at 5pm
And when that happens, very likely WALK-FM Patchogue will do so simultaneously, albeit not a simulcast.

Since WFAS-FM, despite their website banner change and seasonal music heard all evenings and weekends, is NOT 100% Christmas at this point, I expect all the New York stations will dutifully wait for WLTW New York to be first. In fact, it is now more of a NYC radio tradition after all these years.

Even if another station flipped due to an impending format change, it wouldn't technically be the same. That would be stunting which typically purges the existing audience and gains unique interest, as opposed to an actual programming maneuver used to generate and maintain audience.

Mike said:
unknown123 said:

they never go this early could it be because clear channel thinks 94.7 might start stunting soon with christmas music ?

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Doesn't WLTW usually switch the day after Thanksgiving?

ansky212 said:
Mike said:
unknown123 said:

they never go this early could it be because clear channel thinks 94.7 might start stunting soon with christmas music ?

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Doesn't WLTW usually switch the day after Thanksgiving?

This is pretty commonplace for WLTW. I'm pretty sure that they've been switching the Friday before Thanksgiving for the past 3 or 4 (if not more) years now. Nothing to see here... and I doubt 94.7 is even a factor in all of this. WLTW will have double digit ratings waiting in Santa's sleigh.

David Hinckley's 11/14/12 NY Daily News column about the Christmas Lite arriving on WLTW and the satellite radio roundup of holiday music channel changes is linked here.

WLTW made the official switch to christmas music with a montage and then the program director, Jim Ryan I believe, saying a few words that New York "needed the Christmas Music". The switch happened at 5:01 PM. The first song was "Home for the Holidays" by The Carpenters.

AlNYRadio said:
WLTW made the official switch to christmas music with a montage and then the program director, Jim Ryan I believe, saying a few words that New York "needed the Christmas Music". The switch happened at 5:01 PM. The first song was "Home for the Holidays" by The Carpenters.

New York "needed the Christmas music"? That's the biggest crock of s*!t I've ever heard. No, WLTW and cheap channel needs the money they make off of advertisers because of the Christmas music. That's why they switched. :mad:

People can gripe all they want about the Christmas-Lite but I know folks in the NYC area that don't usually listen to 106.7 are happy about this change and are listening.. which is exactly what Clear Channel wants.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom