• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Z/IP One Serial Setup

Hello!

I have a pair of Z/IP Ones that I've been using to send audio from the studio to my transmitter for a while. They've been working fine for this, however I have also wanted to use the serial communication feature of the Z/IP One to send data to our RDS encoder at the transmitter. I've been trying to get this to work, but I can't for the life of me get it working. I'm wondering if anyone else has done it and could give me some advice?

Currently, on the transmitter side, I have a Inovonics 712 connected via a serial to USB adapter to the Z/IP One. On the studio side, I have another USB to serial adapter connected to the Z/IP One, which is connected to a null modem cable, which connects to another serial to USB adapter, which is connected to my laptop. I'm using the Inovonics 712 software which I confirmed worked when directly connected to the encoder with a null modem cable to my laptop. The Z/IP Ones are connected via tscpd, although I've also tried using rtp instead. I've also tried a straight through serial cable instead of a null modem cable. Both Z/IP Ones are running software version V6.0.0r 2022-02-11.

No matter what I try, I always seem to get the same "712 communications error" dialog on my computer when trying to communicate. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Hello!

I have a pair of Z/IP Ones that I've been using to send audio from the studio to my transmitter for a while. They've been working fine for this, however I have also wanted to use the serial communication feature of the Z/IP One to send data to our RDS encoder at the transmitter. I've been trying to get this to work, but I can't for the life of me get it working. I'm wondering if anyone else has done it and could give me some advice?

Currently, on the transmitter side, I have a Inovonics 712 connected via a serial to USB adapter to the Z/IP One. On the studio side, I have another USB to serial adapter connected to the Z/IP One, which is connected to a null modem cable, which connects to another serial to USB adapter, which is connected to my laptop. I'm using the Inovonics 712 software which I confirmed worked when directly connected to the encoder with a null modem cable to my laptop. The Z/IP Ones are connected via tscpd, although I've also tried using rtp instead. I've also tried a straight through serial cable instead of a null modem cable. Both Z/IP Ones are running software version V6.0.0r 2022-02-11.

No matter what I try, I always seem to get the same "712 communications error" dialog on my computer when trying to communicate. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
If you can get hold of an in-line serial analyzer, which is essentially a 25 or 9pin D-connector set with LED's on it, that would tell you whether you have TX and RX serial info going both ways. It could be your USB to serial adapter is wired incorrectly. Have had that happen on more than one occasion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom