• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Z 93 Needs to Update

tigermichal

Inactive
Inactive User
Is it me or does Z93 in Dayton Oh need to change up there look. The website the music the dj's all are outdated. Does anyone have any comments on it?

Maybe some younger talent fresh out of ICB hungry for their first break. Take into consideration also that WGTZ(and former Top 40 WING-AM,WGTZ's sister)has a history in airing R&B crossovers. I have no problem with that. Kim Faris still has a cheerful voice after all of 27 years dating back to its predicessor WJAI. I have no problem with that either. I miss listening to "Dr. Dave" Gross(he's now at WLDE-FM in Ft. Wayne playing oldies in the evening.) He and Kim both made that station what it is. Kim might even surpass Kirkie(now retired from WING) because she is loved by her audience...she's a sweet gal...and a Dayton radio legend too! Right Steve? ha-chi-chi-chi-chi-chi!

You're right about Z's heritage, and I think over the last couple years, the station is slowly reverting back into what it used to be, but it still isn't the same station as it was years ago. I hated it in the late 90s when I came back to visit my folks to turn on Z and hear a bland mix of bubblegum and top 40 friendly alternative with little to no dance and hip hop. That change came when Blue Chip owned the station and Radio One has, more or less, continued to follow that path to protect Hot. Hopefully, Radio One has plans to sell Z (as it is a property that doesn't fit it's mission) to a company who can truely bring back Z's heritage.

I wouldn't hold my breath about a sale of Z as a standalone..and why would Radio One want another potential competitor to Hot and WROU? Kiss Country, which really doesn't fit and doesn't have a Daytpn signal, is a candidate for spin-off but probably only to someone like EMF (K-LOvE).

Yeah, you're right about Radio One and Z-93. Z is really placed in a tough spot since they can't (and shouldn't, afterall) step on Hot's toes, but given the situation they're in, they're making the best of it, plus, they're still ahead of Channel 945.

I don't think it would be a good idea for Radio One to sell off Z-93 and Kiss Country. Dayton needs Radio One to tell CC to "back off" and by the same token it's good buisiness for Radio One to offer CHR,country and sports formats and not just R&B programming...were talking unity in the Dayton community here.

Kiss Country could be disposed of with no problem..the idea would be to sell iit to EMF or someone who would run EMF's K-Love. Z93 is an integral part of the Dayton package, no way its being spun off.

...or Air1?

I think K-Love already has two signals that get into the Dayton area.

GaryTheThompson said:
...or Air1?

I think K-Love already has two signals that get into the Dayton area.

96.9 Troy and 102.3 Wilmington. Troy has a CP to upgrade to a full or near full Class A facility and move south to put a better signal over the metro.

techie2 said:
Troy has a CP to upgrade to a full or near full Class A facility and move south to put a better signal over the metro.

How do they pull off a CP with a 318-foot tower just 3-4000 feet off the approach and departure paths of a major commercial airport??

LocalGuy said:
techie2 said:
Troy has a CP to upgrade to a full or near full Class A facility and move south to put a better signal over the metro.

How do they pull off a CP with a 318-foot tower just 3-4000 feet off the approach and departure paths of a major commercial airport??

FAA not paying attention, I guess.

gr8oldies said:
Kiss Country could be disposed of with no problem..the idea would be to sell iit to EMF or someone who would run EMF's K-Love. Z93 is an integral part of the Dayton package, no way its being spun off.

To my knowlege Kiss Country does fantastic as a station programed towards the Springfield/Urbana market. Blow up Kiss country and there will be an uprising of angry rednecks ;)

DaytonRadio said:
To my knowlege Kiss Country does fantastic as a station programed towards the Springfield/Urbana market.

"To your knowledge?"

Haven't you previously said you live in Springfield??

Why, yes, I remember you have!

Yeah, Z-93 needs an update alright. That logo they have now has been in place since 1990, when they replaced the straight Z-93 logo with that scratchy-looking logo. The least they could do is get a new logo after almost two decades of the same old logo, especially after they replaced the original one after six years.
As far as Z's music, I think they should consider leaning more adult CHR. This would keep Z-93 from stepping on HOT's toes and keep them rock-leaning. They could play My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Nickelback, and Daughtry along with Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne. I would drop the R&B and rap stuff and let HOT run with that and target the 18-34 crowd while Z targets 25-54 females. Z would instantly be a great competitor with Mix 107.7.
Kim Faris's departure is sad, sad, sad. :'( Sad to see a great person and lifelong carrier of the Z banner dumped into sales, especially with her going into the Broadcasters' Hall of Fame in late 2006. Kim is a true legend in this business.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom