• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Your FIFA World Cup Station for 2010

As I understand it, Fútbol de Primera has the radio rights for the FIFA World Cup in 2010 and 2014 in Spanish. Only now did I learn that WPAT-FM, 93.1Amor, is the affiliate for New York. OK, so I wasn't interested in finding out until now. However, I would have thought that, now a couple of months leading to the start of the competition, that there would be a massive marketing push to inform Hispanic people where to find their local World Cup affiliate, especially since FdP had already aired the Mexican National Team a few times.

I've checked the Amor website and there is no mention of the World Cup in their pages. It's like it is a big secret to them. Even ESPN Radio is airing commercials on the World Cup for their English-language stations once every hour. I've listened to Amor all through last night and only once did I hear an announcement about the World Cup. I bet that my family members have no idea where to tune in to hear the World Cup. Personally, I would rather turn down the volume on the TV and hear Andres Cantor call the matches. He's not the best announcer (guys from Colombia run circles around him ;) ) but he's the most entertaining so far. It's just a cultural thing with me.

I also checked the FdP website and, while they have a list of cities they say they're affiliated with, don't have the specific radio stations. So anyone checking there would be lost as well. They should've gotten that list up by now.

Let's post where the World Cup is going to air in your neck of the woods, starting with my city:

WPAT - 93.1FM

stationless listener said:
However, I would have thought that, now a couple of months leading to the start of the competition, that there would be a massive marketing push to inform Hispanic people where to find their local World Cup affiliate..

With the popularity of soccer among all Spanish speakers except those from the Antilles, the source for World Cup broadcasts will be well known with essentially no promotion. Everyone with an interest in the sport already knows the dates, and just a small campaign will get the word out.

The WPAT P1s don't care about soccer. SBS probably jumped on this to keep Univision from getting the rights, because even though I don't live in NYC, I doubt WPAT airs Futbol de Primera each night.

The other WPAT, the AM station on 930, owned by Multicultural Radio Broadcasting, Inc., airs Futbol de Primera every weekday for two hours, starting at 6 PM.

You're probably right about Amor's P1 not friendly to fútbol. However, the 93.1 signal is still a blowtorch and is much preferable to WQBU's 92.7, a signal that is too far to the east for me to receive with any reliance, my biggest fear if Univision had gotten the rights. Univision also has WXNY, a much better signal but I suspect management would conclude that that station's audience would be deemed incompatible with the sophistication of balompié, and WADO, 1280 AM station, which I can receive okay but many radios would have trouble receiving.

Ideally, I would like to hear the World Cup on either WXNY or WSKQ, but 93.1FM is a good second choice. If now they could only show one teeny, weenie promo on their website about the World Cup...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom