• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

xtrasports1360.com

B

bossforever

new web site ready to go for KLSD xtrasports1360.com good luck saving liberal radio unless they put it on a cc fm'er

Registered on August 8, 2007 by Mike Costa ....

What doesn't make sense is that Clear Channel doesn't use the "XTRA Sports" moniker anymore. Their station in LA merely goes by "570 KLAC" nowadays.

Besides, reserving domain names isn't exactly a difficult or expensive process. Costs about the same amount as lunch for one.

I'm not saying the flip will or won't happen. I'm just wondering if CC is pulling our leg.

And we all know that 103.7 became the Surf after they registered that domain, right?

Oh, wait a minute, what are they now? Could be a JACK FM type thing, or it could be a Surf thing to throw us all off...

If the 1360's current format is really on the verge of being dumped, it's a shame.

No one is more aware than I am that this is financially-driven business. If you don't get that basic tenet you shouldn't be working on the commercial side of things. Understood. But it's a shame in that 1360 swapping to sports or whatever deprives a lot of folks in this community with a voice or an outlet on the commercial dial. I'm aware that what is the right thing to do and what is the financially sensible thing to do aren't always in league with each other, but I must admit I'm tired of hearing the financial rationale always being used to excuse these types of decisions.

Really, the entrie gamut of the AM band chants one political message on news/talk stations which are supposedly objective, but we all know they really aren't. I'd like the fairness doctrine back in place because it's better for the overall health of public discourse and the people whom radio is allegeldy supposed to serve, but the what's-mine-is-mine "economic imperalist" crowd always applauds the lack of a fairness doctirne because it serves their needs of lowest-common denominator programming trumping social responsibility, in the name of immediate financial gain. But beyond personal financial considerations, how does this benefit the community? By siphoning one portion off and dumbing it down in an echo chamber so it can't listen to facts or even talk to the other?

What a breath of fresh air 1360 has been. I don't like everything on there myself, but I am an Ed Schultz fan, loved Franken, and it'll be a shame if 1360 is just disappearing into the landscape instead of standing out.

Some obervations:

1 - I always thought the station was criminally undersold with the same commercials cropping up again and again. I know C.C.'s cluster and other stations are sold as a package, I get it, but man, was there not a greater variety of advertisers interested in pitching on 1360? Don't know how aggressive sales were for this station, but progressives certainly need/like beer, refrigerators, and cars as much as anyone else. Perhaps I'm wrong? Would be interested in hearing from a sales perspective.

2 - Part of the problem with a lack of advertisers was, to me, the station seemed set up to fail, especially with letters like KLSD. WTF. Why not just call it K-Acid? Seemed to be a good example of KOGO programmers trying to presents something, albeit with toungue perhaps in cheek, that they thought progressives would respond to. Because they're all on LSD, right? Otherwise why don't they like Bush and the G.O.P. message, right? It just sort of devalued the message of the station and chopped it off at the knees, whether intentionally or unintentionally, before it ever got off the ground. I can't believe any radio professional would be so stupid to approach a signal this way, but the letters always seemed to be C.C. locals little way of saying we're not too serious about the message of this station. C.C. in Portland, on the other hand, seems to treat KPOJ as more of an equal with it's other AMs without slyly insulting the intended audience. Just an observation. Always thought the letters were self-defeating. As an advertiser, I can't say I'd be interested in a station which implies drug use in it's letters.

3 - They never should've run Randy Rhoades in the afternoons. Who did they think was going to listen? I just can't see how a histrionic, lefty woman would fly in this market. I'm sympathetic to her stances, but the delivery and conspiracy-driven tone of every story was tiring, and I think underminded her overall message. Paranoia fuels right-wing talk, let them paranoia themselves into building walls and spying on their neighbors. Shouldn't progressive talk just stick with the facts and use humor? Schultz and Franken excel/excelled at this, and even though Garafalo called it quits with AAR (with their money situation I can understand), her program co-host always did a better job of presenting things and engaging in talk. I suppose, ha-hah, because he is/was a broadcast professional.

4 - Ugh, the John Kerry preliminary victory-fest of 2004 was just embarrassing. Even partisan right-wing talk is not that...uh, partisan. While I'm glad 1360's voice was there during the '04 election season, that was a low, low point, and not because Kerry lost. TV networks never came close to saying Kerry was about to win, but the same bunch who are going to show up at C.C. on Monday and who think this is a political thing took that exit polling and got out of it what they wanted to hear. It just wasn't the whole story.

5 - In addition to progressives, 1360 and similar progressive stations should be marketed to people other than progressives. Was this ever tried?

6 - Not everyone who tunes into a progressive station is far-left, i.e. yours truly. Though the tide has been slowly turning in the media, for a while folks in the political middle, like myself, were made to feel by the media, etc., that they were radically to the left because they weren't wholly embracing the Bush/G.O.P. "let's just bomb somebody" agenda. While this attitude is changing, the media still presents the administration has being somewhere in the middle, when it's clearly demonstrated over and over it isn't. The administration has also demonstrated willfully destructive policy and sheer incompetence, and while that's another thread, the merits, facts, and details of that willfully destructive policy and sheer incompetence were at least found in this market on 1360. Otherwise, where else would you hear about them?

Two cents.

FightingIrish said:
What doesn't make sense is that Clear Channel doesn't use the "XTRA Sports" moniker anymore.

Considering they're no longer involved with XETRA, it makes PERFECT sense.

pbf1 said:
FightingIrish said:
What doesn't make sense is that Clear Channel doesn't use the "XTRA Sports" moniker anymore.

KLAC used the "XTRA Sports" moniker on their station until recently, long after pulling out of XETRA 690.

FightingIrish said:
pbf1 said:
FightingIrish said:

KLAC used the "XTRA Sports" moniker on their station until recently, long after pulling out of XETRA 690.

Well aware of that, but the plan was to change the branding after the pullout, in large part BECAUSE of the pullout.

pbf1 said:
FightingIrish said:
pbf1 said:
FightingIrish said:

Well aware of that, but the plan was to change the branding after the pullout, in large part BECAUSE of the pullout.

So why would they used the "XTRA Sports" branding for a new station in, of all places, San Diego? ???

Am I the only one who's starting to think this is all just a station stunt to help boost ratings? Stacy Taylor, on his show yesterday, seemed to have his doubts, particularly since CC's promotions department is actually participating in the rally on Monday.

FightingIrish said:
So why would they used the "XTRA Sports" branding for a new station in, of all places, San Diego? ???

Don't forget the Surf registration for 103.7. (It's an inexpensive way to throw up a smokescreen.)

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
Registered on August 8, 2007 by Mike Costa ....

I smell a PR stunt with this whole thing...starting with the domain registration. If this had been serious,
CC corporate would have registered the domain in their name, not Mike Costa.

Lookup registration info for kogo.com...big difference.

The other possibility for this switch is similar to
events with AAR Clear Channel stations in Ohio.
All were switched away from progressive talk to
crappy sports formats that tanked in the ratings.
Columbus, Cincinatti, and Akron, all in a state
with close 2006 election results, changes in state
and federal elective offices to Democrats.
Maybe San Diego is viewed as a similar situation
in 2008. Keep the voices of potential opposition candidates
away from the airwaves by flipping KLSD to sports.
I listen to KLSD here in Orange County because our
KTLK-1150 has a inferior line-up along with games
broadcast for God-knows-what teams during drive-time
and evening hours. KTLK scores lower in the ratings
compared to KLSD, but little talk of flipping KTLK to
something else.

XBanderRadio said:
Columbus, Cincinatti, and Akron, all in a state
with close 2006 election results, changes in state
and federal elective offices to Democrats.
Maybe San Diego is viewed as a similar situation
in 2008. Keep the voices of potential opposition candidates
away from the airwaves by flipping KLSD to sports.

That would be a laughable conspiracy theory were it not so sad that anyone could actually subscribe to it.

Are you really so naive as to believe that changing the format of a very low rated radio station can in any way shape or form affect the outcome of any election, let alone major state and federal races which are in the bag for Democrats in California (keeping in mind that Gov. Arnold is as conservative as any other member of the Kennedy family)?

Do we have an icon for headshaking ???

pbf1 said:

Don't forget the Surf registration for 103.7. (It's an inexpensive way to throw up a smokescreen.)

Isn't that what I wrote a just a few messages up?

Eitherway, even if 1360 were to go sports as Xtra, will it even be a local station, or just a simulcast of 570, all from LA just like when 690 let every from San Diego go (see Mighty 1090)?

As David Letterman says, "Is this anything" anyway?

XBanderRadio said:

Those crappy sports stations did not tank in the ratings. They may not have the 12+ shares they had, but in 25-54 males they are up, and billings are considerably higher than with AA... sports stations typically have very high power ratios due to the efficient audience delivery of men with little spillage they offer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom