• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

XPERI HD on AM

Does anybody own an HD radio and lives near one of the few fulltime AM HD (digital) signals?

I think there are only 3 AM stations on nationwide fulltime with HD.

If so, what does AM HD sound like, what happens with AM HD when there is any kind of interference to the AM HD signal?

I can get WFAS's digital-only HD signal in fits and starts. It doesn't sound any better than the digital audio of a hybrid analog/HD AM signal. In fact, when WINS was still broadcasting an HD signal, their HD sounded noticeably better than WFAS's, although that could be due to WFAS using low-bitrate program sources and/or STL.

When the signal gets too weak or interference is too high to decode the digital audio, you just get silence. Eventually the radio gives up and unmutes, and then you get analog reception of loud hash.

Does anybody own an HD radio and lives near one of the few fulltime AM HD (digital) signals?

I think there are only 3 AM stations on nationwide fulltime with HD.

If so, what does AM HD sound like, what happens with AM HD when there is any kind of interference to the AM HD signal?
WWFD in Maryland broadcasts 24/7 music in MA3 full-digital. They sound every bit as good as FM.
Here's a couple short examples, one from when they were IBOC/HD, and another after they changed to MA3:

I can get WFAS's digital-only HD signal in fits and starts. It doesn't sound any better than the digital audio of a hybrid analog/HD AM signal. In fact, when WINS was still broadcasting an HD signal, their HD sounded noticeably better than WFAS's, although that could be due to WFAS using low-bitrate program sources and/or STL.
How bad is WFAS now?

A couple of summers ago WFAS sounded terrible, really unlistenable, in HD only. At the time, 1010 WINS was still only on AM and in hybrid digital mode. It sounded much, much better. WINS was and is viable station (although now on FM) so they probably had better engineering.

WYDE Birmingham, Al is running MA3 (full digital) mode. I was able to pick it up around Tuscaloosa but never got a lock for more than a minute or so. Sounded good when my radio was able to get a solid signal.

Thanks to all that commented, I appreciate it.
If any of you own such a radio, what brand / type do you have, other than a car radio.
Am I correct in saying that the radio that picks up AM HD will also pick up FM HD, are the two systems the same?

Last edited:
Thanks to all that commented, I appreciate it.
If any of you own such a radio, what brand / type do you have, other than a car radio.
Am I correct in saying that the radio that picks up AM HD will also pick up FM HD, are the two systems the same?
I have a factory radio - 2019 Toyota Tacoma. I have an Insignia "walkman" style HD radio that is FM only, but every AM/FM/HD radio I've seen is capable of decoding HD on AM and FM.

Back
Top Bottom