• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

XM not looking so good

JimmyJames said:
People are choosing XM for deeper playlists and less FM style programming on the music channels, which is one other aspect I mentioned.

XM seems to be tightening their Playlists to me Especially on the Urban Channels

Skynet74 said:
The only advantage XM has is MLB. Sirius has everything else.

That's a bit of a generalization.

SPORTS wise, Sirius doesn't quite have "everything"....XM still has some college football conference broadcasts (Pac-10, Big East, Big 10, ACC, etc) as well as all NHL games. Granted, it's not a lot, but it's still something.

smashedcd said:
well xms stock is up today..i love it when radio people are biased against sat radio..it makes me laugh ;D

And most radio stocks are valued well above XM's. I love it when satellite people are biased against radio.

Talking Furniture said:
smashedcd said:
well xms stock is up today..i love it when radio people are biased against sat radio..it makes me laugh ;D

And most radio stocks are valued well above XM's. I love it when satellite people are biased against radio.

i wasnt always biased against radio. not until the playlists all shrunk to 100 songs or less and were all taken over by satan..i mean clear channel..i personally know of not a single soul that still listens to fm radio for music. talk and sports yes..music..no!

[/quote]

i wasnt always biased against radio. not until the playlists all shrunk to 100 songs or less and were all taken over by satan..i mean clear channel..i personally know of not a single soul that still listens to fm radio for music. talk and sports yes..music..no!
[/quote]

Apparently the number of souls you don't know is rather large: http://www.katz-media.com/pubs/RadioWaves/121206/RadioWavesDEC2006.pdf

[/quote]

Apparently the number of souls you don't know is rather large: http://www.katz-media.com/pubs/RadioWaves/121206/RadioWavesDEC2006.pdf
[/quote]

i am talking friends not some research by some research company. ::)

smashedcd said:

[/quote]

i am talking friends not some research by some research company. ::)
[/quote]

I know, I hate it when a few facts get in the way of a good opinion.

Since the numbers of Sat listeners is so small, they must have checked with every one of them. Funny, I don't remember being surveyed.

Facts are, terrestrial radio, however slowly, is losing audience and credibility. Time to get local and innovative. Because soon, not only will it be XM, Sirius, and the IPod, it will be every stream on the internet in the dashboard easily accessible. We're facing new challenges and we'd better rise to the occasion.

I subscribe to XM and have Sirius on Dish and I can tell you that XM blows away Sirius on many formats like Decades music and Dance music. Sirius 80s channel is bland and seems to just play the same Top 40 songs that were played to death on FM Radio. XM's 80's channel plays the hits but they also play songs that were hits but were not played to death plus they have AT40. They don't even have a real 90's station and Flight 26 blows away the pulse anyway. Dance on Sirius is horrible. XM's Chill channel plays real Chill music as Sirius Chill channel plays music that is not even Chill. They don't have many mix shows unlike XM which has 2 channels playing them at various times. I can go on but if Sirius was to buy XM and ruin it like they did many of their channels I will be gone but like I said before with the DirecTV and Dish merger which did not happen. The FCC will never approve a merger and that is a good thing.

hootmon said:
Since the numbers of Sat listeners is so small, they must have checked with every one of them. Funny, I don't remember being surveyed.

That's what it feels like to be part of a very small audience. Satellite radio has a small cume. You're hard to find. That's the freakin' point.

d-ray said:
I have 4 sirius units in personal cars and an xm in a new car just purchased. sirius is by far, much better than xm not only in music, sports, news etc, but the reception is far better than xm
I recently rented a car and requested Sirius Radio to try them out. I was traveling from Chapel Hill, North Carolina to Philadelphia. I would say the reception faded out a few times for a couple of seconds each time (no big deal). However, on the return trip on Sunday, There were many football games on and Sirius used some of the news stations to broadcast them. I switched to CNN Headline News, and they were broadcasting a feed from the week before!!!!! I contacted Sirius and received no response!! I have had two XM Radios for the past four years, and I will stay with XM. I was not impressed at all with Sirius.

Stuart

Satellite radio has a small cume. You're hard to find. That's the freakin' point.
Small but growing--that's the point. More people I know are bailing on regular radio for satellite, IPOD, etc. Radio operators assume that since they haven't lost half their audience yet, they can continue to operate in ways that are driving many of us away. Much as TV network execs dismissed cable TV in the late 70s/early 80s, many terrestrial radio execs and workers are wasting their time trashing satellite radio instead of asking themselves why some of us would pay NOT to listen to their crap.

hootmon said:
Satellite radio has a small cume. You're hard to find. That's the freakin' point.
Small but growing--that's the point. More people I know are bailing on regular radio for satellite, IPOD, etc. Radio operators assume that since they haven't lost half their audience yet, they can continue to operate in ways that are driving many of us away. Much as TV network execs dismissed cable TV in the late 70s/early 80s, many terrestrial radio execs and workers are wasting their time trashing satellite radio instead of asking themselves why some of us would pay NOT to listen to their crap.

the fact is fm sucks! same crap in every single city! 100 songs or less over and over again. xm and sirius are for me. i hate fm radio! i use to love it about 15 years ago! let the big wigs keep believing sat is not a threat. they are dreaming! i have been slammed on this board for my opinion. but i will stick by my statement. i dont know of ANYONE who listens to fm radio for music in 2007. and i am not a kid. i am almost 40 :eek:

smashedcd said:
hootmon said:

the fact is fm sucks! same crap in every single city! 100 songs or less over and over again. xm and sirius are for me. i hate fm radio! i use to love it about 15 years ago! let the big wigs keep believing sat is not a threat. they are dreaming! i have been slammed on this board for my opinion. but i will stick by my statement. i dont know of ANYONE who listens to fm radio for music in 2007. and i am not a kid. i am almost 40 :eek:

My guess is that you've been slammed in places beyond this board. If the stations you listen to only play 100 songs, maybe you're listening to the wrong stations. Maybe you make bad choices. Your ranting about how "everyone" and "no one" and "everyone I know" are simplistic to the point of being pitiful. Many radio broadcasters know exactly what the situation is and are enjoying the everyday job of taking radio broadcasting into the 21st century. They know satellite will be there too. And, many other forms of entertainment. They can handle it. Enjoy satellite. But stop with the huffing and puffing and let a few of the facts into your viewpoint. I mean, man, you're almost 40.

I think Hootmon has a good point here. FM is already broadcasting portion of their day by satcasters, whether it's Bob and Tom, Dehlila, or whoever. I can't speak for other areas of the nation, but there are no personalities on Cincinnati radio, unless you include all these folks who just love to hear themselves talk. When I ask friends of mine, who are admittedly over 50 yrs old, why they listen to talk, they tell me it's because "there is nothing on the stations that play music that I want to hear". I know, and it's repeated a hundred times a day on these boards, that we are a demographic that can't support a successful station, but I still think many of these station managers are missing something here. I guess we will just have to wait and see if WDJO here in town can survive. If it does't, you can be sure that satcasters will pick up even more subsribers.

I'm hanging on to my XM and Sirius stock regardless. Just a gut feeling that it will pay off in the long run. I may very well lose my butt on it.

A merger, dispite Sirius bigwigs indications at wanting one, will not happen. Not until more services such as their's exist.

While a merger might present an ideal oppurtunity for merging the respective decade format elements, there would probably be more blood on the walls than ideal formats.

I don't think regular radio is in danger the big markets, these are the ones where are free to program at will. The small markets that make up the majority of the country's radio broadcast outlets will hold the cards on sat radio's growing infuence. If the corporate suits keep writing these markets off and force feeding generic playlists and stale presentations on the listener, the listner will respond and satillite radio will garner stronger influence.

A merger is not right at this time. Sirrius and XM need to keep crafting their respective products, as time moves and depending on corporate radio programming in small markets, both satillite will have developed themselves into stronger and much more apprciated broadcast entities.

I would like to see a map of numbers & locations of satellite radio subscribers and see if there is a pattern that could be traced to the quality of terrestrial radio in a given area.

Anyone know of such a report?

Along the same line, does satellite radio have a higher percentage of subscribers outside of large cities which have more radio choices?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom