• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WZYQ Z104 and Today's CHR

Someone mentioned about the jocks using the sae names as previous jocks because of the shouts. I was doing nights up the street in the mid/late 70's and a friend of mine took a sales postionn there. Howaqrd was so "thrifty" that when he hired Him (Jim Riley) he changed HIS name to Ron Obrian, because he had leftover business cards with tha name Ron Obrien. That really was a great station with a great sound. What has happened to all of those stations across te coutry that once were? Corporate consolidation and "beancounting has replaced good radio. Geez, even the Oldies station here plays the same focus group tested 165 songs over and over. I hope he's right whoever said that this type of radio is ripe for a comeback. We could sure use some Talent on the air and behind the scenes, or we'll all have I-pods.

Yup, HoJo was good at recyling jock shouts, as I recall when I was hired in '76 a Mark Rivers and Steve Roberts left the station and upon my arrival to the station Howard welcomed me and said Hello Steve... I was given the name Steve Rivers.

I'd love to hear old fashioned high energy Top 40 Oldies radio back on the air, but I would guess most of us "high energy " dj's have migrated to the sales department and use our high energy to sell more air time!

When HoJo hired me in 1977, I was to be Larry Clark. "We have a jock shout from Jam that says Larry Clark", HoJo explained. I went to my car and got a reel (remember those?) that had a Jam jock shout that said "Larry O'Neal". It was from my previous station. Thus, I was allowed to be Larry O'Neal, the only name I ever used on-air anywhere. Several months after I left, there was some guy named "Larry Clark" hired to replace me. Undoubtedly, not his real name ;-)

Last time I talked to Howard (over a month ago), Patti was out of the hospital but not able to get around very well on her own.

LF

Do any of the former Jocks know why Z104 never ran American Top 40? I know there is a rule that states Casey can not be on another station in the same market. Well the only way that rule could hold water is if Frederick was considered part of the Washington dc area. AT40 ran for years on WPGC until Q107 stole it in 82 subsequently begining the demise of the great PGC. Even today, Casey is heard in DC on WASH FM and meanwhile also heard on 92.5 in Winchester & 101.5 in Fredricksburg......so I'm guessing these markets do not qualify as DC (even though I can pick up these stations clearly) so I can't understand why Frederick would(I had a real hard time picking up Z104 here in VA). AT40 should of been on that station. I know Z104 DID pickup Caseys Top 40 but that was ONLY in 1994, an the station was sold at the end of that year. I also noticed that Rick Dees wasn't picked up on Z104 until after Power105 WAVA dropped the show for CT40s premiere in 89 so maybe my theory is on.

shadough said:
Do any of the former Jocks know why Z104 never ran American Top 40? I know there is a rule that states Casey can not be on another station in the same market. Well the only way that rule could hold water is if Frederick was considered part of the Washington dc area. AT40 ran for years on WPGC until Q107 stole it in 82 subsequently begining the demise of the great PGC. Even today, Casey is heard in DC on WASH FM and meanwhile also heard on 92.5 in Winchester & 101.5 in Fredricksburg......so I'm guessing these markets do not qualify as DC (even though I can pick up these stations clearly) so I can't understand why Frederick would(I had a real hard time picking up Z104 here in VA). AT40 should of been on that station. I know Z104 DID pickup Caseys Top 40 but that was ONLY in 1994, an the station was sold at the end of that year. I also noticed that Rick Dees wasn't picked up on Z104 until after Power105 WAVA dropped the show for CT40s premiere in 89 so maybe my theory is on.

Although Frederick County did not become part of DC's "metro" or MSA until well beyond Z104's Glory Days, the county was always part of the DC TSA and ADI and that would have been enough for any DC affiliate to keep it off 103.9. Then again, so would have a simple "don't let them have it" coming from the WPGC PD.

I worked at Z104 in 1986 and I remember American Top 40 with Casey Kasem running Saturday mornings from 8-noon. I was also there when Kemosabe Joe left in November of that year. Howard Johnson left about a month later. Brother Bare became the Program Director and the sales manager (who's name I can't remember...Jim something) became GM. I want to say that he may have also been the Mayor of Myersville at one point. When Bare became PD he started doing away with most of the imaging. He wanted less clutter. I left in January.

stevewillett said:
I worked at Z104 in 1986 ... the sales manager (who's name I can't remember...Jim something) became GM. I want to say that he may have also been the Mayor of Myersville at one point.

You're thinking of Tom McCanner, who managed Z104 for awhile and had been the longtime sales manager at WFMD--and also the Mayor of Myersville at one point.

The "Jim" you recall is most likely Jim Riley (professionally known as Ron O'Brien, from one of Howard Johnson's existing "jock shouts" when Jim first arrived as an air-talent). Jim was with Z104 for many years--as jock, sales manager, GM and everything in-between.

You're right, Tom McCanner. For some reason I was thinking Jim, but it is Tom. Plus Ron O'Brien was in sales when I was there. My first time around in 1983, it was Kemo in the morning with Leonard Roberts, Davy Crockett #2 (Norm Miller) in mid-days, Boss Hoss in afternoons, myself 7-midnight and voiceover king Pat Garrett in overnights. When I came back in 1986 it was Kemo in the morning, Truckin' Tom in mid-days, Brother Bare in afternoons, myself 7-midnight again, and Buffalo Bill (Downtown Billy Brown) in overnights. When Kemo left in November of 86, Bare took over mornings and programming. Cat Michaels was brought in for afternoons. When I left in January, Buffalo Bill moved into my 7-midnight slot.

Yeah, I think that you and I and Larry have big chunks of Z104-and-Frederick radio history covered on this board, pretty well. I was part of the original staff as an AE with HoJo, Denny Carpenter, & Shotgun Mark Rivers before bolting for greener pastures the next year... then resurfaced a decade later as a GSM & GM. I'm still in it--as a market manager, elsewhere. Worked with Riley and McCanner--both good guys. Very smart and talented. Last I heard, Jim/Ron was still in radio--though that was a few years ago... but I think Tom may have found better things to do. How about yourself? Are you still doing the radio thing?

I still find it very interesting that so many radio geeks remember Z. I've said it before on this thing, and I'll say it again: Howard created a remarkable radio station at the old 1370/103.9. Pass along my regards to Mr. Johnson next time you check in with him.

The aircheck that I have is of Brother Bare (didnt know it was spelled Bare till now) doing the afternoon slot w/ Grizzly Adams coming in for the primetime slot. This was Jan/Feb '86. So your Grizzly Adams? I just dont remember AT40 being on. I remember "Hit Music USA" on Sunday mornings though. Course I had no idea Pat Garratt did overnites. wow

I remember Kemosabe Joe working the Saturday morning 6am-noon shift which included running AT40 from 8-noon. Z104 however ran every countdown or syndicated show they could get their hands on.

I worked with hojo and kemo from 78 to 82..right out of walkersville high. I ran AT40 for kemo sat 8 to noon. I started with wally hinds doing news and "60 SECONDS ON Z104" segments. Wallys with AP in dc. My good friend Truckin tom Armstrong (unreal tom steele) died a few years back. Kemo on eastern shore between gigs. Big Don there too battling cancer. Scott carpenter (barry hodge) i remember got fired for putting WPGCs scott carpenter on air live. I STILL remember brother boo....jim curtis...barney stone...tom kent(tk) ...steve brooks(dreppard)...howard broght em in!!
Girls in office were nancy....dot...and gina.

I remember when kemo would fire a jock..he used a pocketknife to make a notch in his office door.......WELL....i visited the old building in 2014...and his office door is still there....notches and all!!!

Last edited:
Glad to find this forum and this thread, specifically. I got turned on to Z104 around 1983 when I was a kid, growing up in Martinsburg WV. I have fond memories of listening to Kemosabe Joe every morning. I have a pile of tapes somewhere in my basement of recordings I made of his shows. I remember in particular the Red Neckerson segments. I also have a recording of a top-40 parody show they aired once, which I believe was made by the American Comedy Network. I seem to remember the station playing Van Halen's 1984 album in its entirety on 12/31/83.

Listening to Z104 sparked my interest in radio, and led to me having my own radio show in college. By then, I was at the University of Buffalo with a Saturday evening show on WFFT, which you could only get on campus. I got in trouble with the PD for sending a friend of mine into the cafeteria next door with a microphone to interview the cafeteria lady live. I believe they also had the worst cart machine ever made.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom