• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWZN, Boston To Be Simulcast On WCTN?

• Thread starter Laurence Glavin
  • Start date
L

Laurence Glavin

WWZN-AM, Boston is announcing that some programming on that outlet will be simulcast on WCTN-AM, 950 in Cabin John, MD. The host making that announcement (Jeff Santos) claimed that this would give the shows coverage of the Washington, DC mahket, I mean market (that's how we talk here). A glance at the FCC website indicates that WCTN's daytime pattern yields its most powerful signal to the northwest, with a little blip towards DC. That may have something to do with the presence of a station licensed to DC on 980.

I hear they are just sending down the stream so that means Maryland/DC gets to hear Boston traffic, Boston weather and Boston sports reports. Congratulations Maryland/DC!

BosRad said:
I hear they are just sending down the stream so that means Maryland/DC gets to hear Boston traffic, Boston weather and Boston sports reports. Congratulations Maryland/DC!

That's exactly what happens on WSMN-AM 1590 in Nashua, NH. (I don't know about the affiliates in Portland and Lewiston, ME or Attleboro, MA).

What was then WERE/1300 in Cleveland (now WJMO) would use to pipe in audio from WBBR/New York whenever they didn't sell time, they being a time-brokered talk station. The reason being, WERE had a barter affiliation with Bloomburg radio for TOH business reports, and WBBR was apparently the only way to get it.

It was not uncommon to hear New York traffic and weather on there after 1am on a Sunday morning... a columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer even groused about that one time.

I don't know about the WWZN/WCTN deal but dcrtv.org said WNEW 1580 may be doing prog talk

As for Boston traffic reports,etc., XM has Boston, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia traffic and weather on
the same channel. So, is that traffic tieup on Storrow Dr., the Parkway West, or the Schuykill...?

With the failed attempts that 'prog-talk' has had in the DC area in the not too distant past, what makes broadcasters think it can work this time?

klutch00 said:
With the failed attempts that 'prog-talk' has had in the DC area in the not too distant past, what makes broadcasters think it can work this time?

Especially when the morning host from 7 to 10 is also the afternoon host from 3 to 6. From what I understand, it's a brokered deal with just the Boston stream being played on WCTN. That is why you'll hear promos for shows that are only broadcast on 1510 WWZN Boston along with Boston traffic and weather.

BosRad said:
klutch00 said:

Especially when the morning host from 7 to 10 is also the afternoon host from 3 to 6. From what I understand, it's a brokered deal with just the Boston stream being played on WCTN. That is why you'll hear promos for shows that are only broadcast on 1510 WWZN Boston along with Boston traffic and weather.
Well as of mid-afternoon today, WCTN was simulcasting WWZN.

Wow, that's exciting news! WWZN is such a great station in the Boston Market! If you have WCTN on a preset---dont wait, get it off now!

klutch00 said:
BosRad said:
klutch00 said:

Moreover, WWZN has virtually no ratings in Boston. What are they trying to do by putting their signal on 950?

klutch00 said:
klutch00 said:
BosRad said:
klutch00 said:

Moreover, WWZN has virtually no ratings in Boston. What are they trying to do by putting their signal on 950?

The only reason why:

$$$$$.

Jeff Santos is the main time-broker for WWZN. He pays for his own morning and afternoon shows, and gets advertisers for the other syndicated programming. The actual owners of the station have no real involvement in "Revolution Boston" aside from cashing the checks Jeff writes, and mowing the grass at WWZN's transmitter site.

As long as Jeff is able to get revenue from the shows, regardless of the ratings... he can afford to time-broker out WWZN, WCTN or other stations alongside the East Coast.

For anyone keeping track WCTN is now Brother ScareStair 24/7. Guess he's filling the radio kook void since Camping left the DC dial. ;D

WWZN went sports talk a while ago, and they changed their call letters.
Progressive talk on commercial radio in Boston turned up missing
Jeff Santos seems to be trying to get his show on other stations.
WCRN temporarily had his show on from 2:00PM-3:00PM for a short time, but that time slot is now occupied by AARN News

Trav said:
For anyone keeping track WCTN is now Brother ScareStair 24/7. Guess he's filling the radio kook void since Camping left the DC dial. ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom