• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWON in the Radio-Info Spotlight

Great story. Proof that small market radio can survive and thrive if done correctly. A challenge for the smallest AM in Tennesse would come from a little 250 watter in Pikeville, WUAT they don't even have night time authorization.

Yeah! That's a great article about "Lash".
He is doing it, too. You can see his earlier posts about "Live and Local" and see that he means it.
The part about giving the night shift to some local talent from a local high school certainly hits home.
I started full-time from 4-11pm weekdays at "Country 105" WTPR-FM in Paris, TN. I was a junior and it began a career of 25-plus years in radio. (And out a few times)
My last f/t gig was in 2001.

If I lived near there, I'd do shifts for free just to be involved with something like that.
Congrats to Lash for the pub., and thanks for keeping that whole scenario alive!

Hey...Ralph Emory started at WTPR (AM) also!

Just a minor nitpicking here, but WWON is 470W D/91W N.. and it's since been corrected in the article.

From what I've heard, WTPR was a good station in its day. I certainly still enjoy the simulcasted AM's coming out of Union City, TN. Those guys also do local AM radio the right way.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I'm really pleased with how we sound. Streaming coming very soon!

Our new morning guy is a classic top 40 jock with all the characters (his voices) similar to the days of Rick Dees and others.

Keep an eye on www.am930.net

Mr. Lash, I join all others in congratulating you (and your wife) for proving what others said couldn't be done. I think they just didn't want to work that hard.

I write to salute your accomplishments and to echo your comments about Terry Hailey and the staff at WENK in Union City. Prior to Docket 80-90, prior to the Telecomm Disaster of 1996, before there were entirely too many signals on the dial, we all sought out the REALLY good stations. In West Tennessee circa 1973, that meant WHBQ/Memphis, WMPS/Memphis, WKYQ/Paducah, WENK/Union City and of course, WLS/Chicago at night. At a time when quality operators were hard to find, Hailey and company knew what it took to put a good product on the air. If you were serious about your career, you wanted to work there. As for radio in 2007, you can STILL include WENK, WWKF, WTPR AM & FM and KQ105 among the best stations in the area.

I can also give testimony about his character and how he treated his people. He's simply the best. Did you also know he is, or has been: Mayor of Union City, President of the Jaycees, President of Babe Ruth Baseball, Adult Education Teacher, Keyboard artist at his church, husband, father and all-around pretty good guy?

While I don't know you, Mr. Lash, it wouldn't surprise me to find that you have many of the same qualities. Congratulations again on your success.

Me thinks maybe "Bat Fastard" and "Terry Hailey" may be one in the same.
If not, Bat Fastard knows WAAAAAAAY too much about Terry. ;D

lash said:
Our new morning guy is a classic top 40 jock with all the characters (his voices) similar to the days of Rick Dees and others.

Keep an eye on www.am930.net

Very cool, Chris. I still remember the waning days of the old WHJB when Caleb Michaels (nee Bob Stevens) had his characters like Professor Radio & Doctor Shanai Shenae. There's not too many jocks left these days who have that ability.

Good deal getting MJD out of Tyrone. You've got an eye for the right talent, that's for sure.

Hey...email me when you get a chance. My addy's on my profile.

Chirs & Karen Lash,

As other have already said, I too want to congratulate you on a job well done at WWON. I enjoyed reading the article and, as I have said in previous posts, believe it's people like you that continue to keep radio alive and well...not to mention, what it is meant to be.

As I've said before, it's the owner/operator of small and medium market stations that realize what radio is all about and, each day, put their all into bringing it to their communities and listeners in a way that no big conglomerate can do.

When I started in radio in 1969, I held the evening shift on a 300w FM that simulcast during the day with their 5k AM daytimer. It was beautiful music at the time. I convinced the PD to let me handle the evening programming, once the AM signed off, and was able to bring the first country music on FM to the area we served. I quess what I'm saying is...what makes radio great, an continues to do so, are people like you and others who take the best qualities of the radio industry and put them to work each day and are not afraid to take on the challenges that come your way.

As a former owner/operator of a standalone AM, I salute you and those who continue to keep the original concept of radio alive. The pioneers of radio would be proud.

radioman1380 said:
I quess what I'm saying is...what makes radio great, an continues to do so, are people like you and others who take the best qualities of the radio industry and put them to work each day and are not afraid to take on the challenges that come your way.

As a former owner/operator of a standalone AM, I salute you and those who continue to keep the original concept of radio alive. The pioneers of radio would be proud.

Radioman, I applaud your comments. I've been in radio for close to two decades now, and having spent my time in major markets, I can say with conviction that small market radio is the place to be. Chris is an example of how far you can take radio...further than you ever dreamed. The technology we have today is truly a blessing...if used properly. If you use it to improve your overall sound and do more than you could the old fashioned way, you're doing it right. If you use it simply to displace live jocks and see nothing more than numbers and a balance sheet, you're doing it wrong. Chris has the ability to do both...he knows how to win.

<<<Me thinks maybe "Bat Fastard" and "Terry Hailey" may be one in the same.
If not, Bat Fastard knows WAAAAAAAY too much about Terry. >>>

Sorry, Meepster. You missed on this one. I DO consider Terry a friend and a mentor and I'm proud to say I've worked for him but no, I'm not Terry.

I wish I was that successful.

Legend has it that when Terry Hailey left his first radio job (WTRO in Dyersburg) he erased all of the carts that had his voice on them and didn'nt tell anybody. Everytime they'd fire one of those carts......dead air......That was many years ago. From there he went on to become a first class broadcaster and owner.

<<<"Legend has it that when Terry Hailey left his first radio job (WTRO in Dyersburg) he erased all of the carts that had his voice on them and didn'nt tell anybody. Everytime they'd fire one of those carts......dead air......That was many years ago. From there he went on to become a first class broadcaster and owner.">>>

Thanks to littlebigradio for the story. Your story caused me to re-new a friendship. I hadn't spoken to Hailey in a couple of years, but had to call to ask his reaction. He says it never happened, although he likes the way you think. :) He says he has good memories of his time there and especially of Al Wood and Carl Minton. He DID remember someone spray painting a console there. Says he understands how an owner could have been upset about it. ;)

Thanks for moving me to call an old friend.

Hadn't heard the painted console story. I heard recently the Al Wood's second wife recently died. Carl Minton is retired from his station ownership days in West Plains, MO and is back in Dyersburg, and remarried to a lady who years ago bought advertising for the Homestead store up there from him.

The last time I saw Terry Hailey, this is no lie...he was wearing almost a 'Fro, had on a suit jacket and a shirt unbuttoned almost to his navel, and was wearing a pretty huge medallion. I was at "Hit Radio Q-102" in Jackson and was speaking to him about going to work for those Union City stations.

This was early 80's and I turned down the opportunity. Instead I sent a fellow I knew from "Q" and he went and worked for Terry for years before becoming a nurse or something.

I do recall being pretty impressed with the stations and the operation-for such a small market.

Later, he bought the stations in which I started in Paris, TN.

Chris Lash is one of the most decent radio people you could ever meet or know. We can all name stations in top 20 markets that don't sound as good ... or committed to radio, let alone AM, as "The Farm." Great story and best wishes, Chris. The stream sounds great. Keep up the good work and for those posts. Great to know ya...! Congratulations to you and your wife and thanks for what you do for AM Radio and bringing small markets to life. We could sure use your help in a lot of places...

Bat Fastard said:
<<<"Legend has it that when Terry Hailey left his first radio job (WTRO in Dyersburg) he erased all of the carts that had his voice on them and didn'nt tell anybody. Everytime they'd fire one of those carts......dead air......That was many years ago. From there he went on to become a first class broadcaster and owner.">>>

Have you heard about Hailey's son...Bret? Last I heard, he is going to UT Chattanooga, and working on air at WDOD-FM The Mountain as promotions director.

macked said:
Bat Fastard said:

Have you heard about Hailey's son...Bret? Last I heard, he is going to UT Chattanooga, and working on air at WDOD-FM The Mountain as promotions director.

He worked for his dad at KF/KQ in high school and seems to really have a passion for the business. I consider Bret a good friend and, like Bat Fastard, consider Terry a great friend and mentor.

Pedro

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom