• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WVOX (1460 AM) Translator

It seems likely that WVOX is still adjusting the translator signal. There has been no mention of it over the air or on their website.
Normally an AM station with a translator will give out the FM frequency at least as often as the one on AM.

As of this morning, this translator is not listenable North of the tower in Hartsdale. I drove down the Bronx River Parkway, the signal barely made it to Crane Road. So the translators stink for car driving. I have to believe they think they will get the more affluent homeowners in Hartsdale, Scarsdale and Irvington, etc. I don't see their product being as interesting to them as they might think.

The real question I have is why 98.3? There are 4 signals (sorry I don't know the classes) on 98.3 within an earshot of the ESB.
It's over clutter now.
Which ones? K-Joy, Magic, 98Q, WSUL
The two that make it to NYC are Magic and K-Joy

All of them have some form of AC

Figure of speech, Nick. WMGK, WSUL, WDAQ and WKJY form a square. I prefer my 98.3 frequencies uncluttered and pristine. Just my personal preference since my voice was heard on 3 of of the 4 aforementioned stations.

I realize 2 can't be heard at ESB. But, I'll tell you this. I took my Sangean, battery powered deluxe signature series radio to Gertrude's Nose near New Paltz and pulled all 4 in. Twisting, turning and performing a series of pirouettes, but I got them all in clearly.

WDAQ doesn't really make it past Yorktown going South. WSUL, not sure of the signal but I imagine it doesn't go further than Vernon/Warwick
But WDAQ does reach Yorktown by Mohansic golf course. A special woman I know who lives near there was absolutely smitten with a former weekend part timer. She listened to him whenever he was on. Full HD signal and RDS.

Figure of speech, Nick. WMGK, WSUL, WDAQ and WKJY form a square. I prefer my 98.3 frequencies uncluttered and pristine. Just my personal preference since my voice was heard on 3 of of the 4 aforementioned stations.

I realize 2 can't be heard at ESB. But, I'll tell you this. I took my Sangean, battery powered deluxe signature series radio to Gertrude's Nose near New Paltz and pulled all 4 in. Twisting, turning and performing a series of pirouettes, but I got them all in clearly.
As true as that may be, the beef here should be taken up with the FCC as they allowed the Class A's to mix and mingle with Class D translators in this specific case. Unfortunately 98.3 is just ONE example of a frequency that is a mess and this is WITHOUT "pirates" factored in. Call it luck or just some good 'ole efficient consulting engineering that got us here. You do have to wonder at what point does the "saturation" of the FM band render everything else on it counter-productive and not in the public's interest with interference up the wazoo?

Last edited:
What's really pathetic in Westchester County is the 1 watt translator for WLNA 1420 AM on 94.3 FM, in the Peekskill area. Not only does the translator have a very limited range, WLNA is highly directional. It rebroadcasts WBPM, in Saugerties NY
So the translator is a rebroadcast of a rebroadcast.
Barry- I had totally forgotten about this translator. I took a listen last night. I loved me some Bruce Hornsby and the Range- No one plays Valley Road anymore! But I digress. 94.3 covers the Route 6 corridor from the Hudson River out to just past Curry Street past the Jefferson Valley Mall. WKXP (Kingston) comes in at Bryant Pond Road north of the Taconic. On Route 9 it dies out short of Graymoor. To the south it came in at Walter Panas High School, but I didn't find any other spots where is really came in.

You know what- my radio thrill has turned into seeing what comes in where.

But WDAQ does reach Yorktown by Mohansic golf course. A special woman I know who lives near there was absolutely smitten with a former weekend part timer. She listened to him whenever he was on. Full HD signal and RDS.
I know WDAQ reaches that area. I meant going South, it starts to mix in with WKJY. I caught WDAQ in the Croton Gorge area but it wasn't consistent. From my experiences traveling from Connecticut to New Jersey, I used to listen to WDAQ in Danbury because it was one of the only stations that came in clear. Once on 684 South, it didn't take long for WKJY to interfere.

I often go to FDR State Park, I will definitely keep a note on 98.3's signal. It's usually not my go to, with the NYC stations and WHUD/WSPK coming in a lot more consistent.

Must have been tropo, Magic 98.3 would have been really far!

I know WDAQ reaches that area. I meant going South, it starts to mix in with WKJY. I caught WDAQ in the Croton Gorge area but it wasn't consistent. From my experiences traveling from Connecticut to New Jersey, I used to listen to WDAQ in Danbury because it was one of the only stations that came in clear. Once on 684 South, it didn't take long for WKJY to interfere.

I often go to FDR State Park, I will definitely keep a note on 98.3's signal. It's usually not my go to, with the NYC stations and WHUD/WSPK coming in a lot more consistent.
I to DX frequently in the park up on the hill in the back parking lot behind the pool. Now the Harry Potter folks have commandeered the area. I tend to be near the basketball court. It is open, with no trees. WVOX has turned the signal to mush by the exit off the Taconic. You get nothing. Which is a crime. WDAQ does still come where I wait for my bus in the morning. I have the Rich Minor morning show on while I wait. He is a must-listen for your morning.

Must have been tropo, Magic 98.3 would have been really far!
Well- let me throw this one out there. When you drive north on Route 17 (Quickway) into Sullivan County, on the incline just past the Ellenville exit, if you slow it down to 50mph, you will get WKJY, WDAQ and WKJY. Don't blink, there will also be a hint of WMGK. Its amazing.

Well- let me throw this one out there. When you drive north on Route 17 (Quickway) into Sullivan County, on the incline just past the Ellenville exit, if you slow it down to 50mph, you will get WKJY, WDAQ and WKJY. Don't blink, there will also be a hint of WMGK. Its amazing.
Just to clarify so there is no confusion you mean WMGQ, Not WMGK which is on a different frequency from Philly...

In addition to the translator rebroadcasting WVOX AM on 98.3 FM, I recently heard another new one on the same frequency.
Located atop a building in nearby Palisades Park NJ, it is rebroadcasting an HD subchannel of sister station WVIP 93.5 FM with around 120 watts. It was quite clear in the Jersey Meadowlands. The programming was in Korean.

Last edited:
W252DX was just given a short term license renewal by the FCC, in recognition of the extended periods of time the station was silent during both its original license term and its extended term. 57% and 45% spent silent, respectively. The renewal term is for one year, ending October 2, 2024.
W252DX License Renewal letter
Just another footnote to the WVOX legacy, as Hudson Westchester Radio heads towards its final days.

Following the FCC’s approval of the double license assignments for WVOX and W252DX to MMTC then to Jeff Chang earlier this week, the AM, at least, is now off the air. Can’t speak for the 98.3 translator. Today the parties filed their consummation notices with the Commission.

Does anyone know whether the new owner will be able to use the WVOX tower and transmitter, at least temporarily?
If not, it seems the station could be off the air for quite a while.

Does anyone know whether the new owner will be able to use the WVOX tower and transmitter, at least temporarily?
If not, it seems the station could be off the air for quite a while.
"Jeff Chan closed on the purchase of WVOX, Fac. ID 28024, New Rochelle, NY, and W252DX, Facility ID
201735, White Plains, NY, on October 26, 2023. The assignment did not include the lease for the current
WVOX tower site. As a result, both stations were taken silent on the date of closing. WVOX and
W252DX will be silent while Mr. Chang works to find a new site for WVOX and file to move to and
implement the station at the new site."

Silent STA filed.

Perhaps there will eventually be an application to change the city of license, if the most practical new transmitter site is some distance away from southern Westchester County.

Back
Top Bottom