• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

wvia

well it seems like wvia keeps asking for money,and the people on the air are just, well i dont know how else to put it...BAD....and it was published in the paper that bill kelly gets 299.000 a year. so remember, when you call in to donate your hard earned dollars, is it going for programing? the goverment has cut back on funds for public radio, and tv..so how about cutting back on the high dollars going to manegment? they use to beg for money once or twice a year, plus the auction, which is 100% profit, plus all the sponsors for different programing. now, its every month. very few local shows.. they run the polka show re-runs from 2008, and the ballroom dancing show from the early 2000 years. they dont run any new local programs. its the same stuff.. the knox mine disaster, the 72 flood, your towns history, over and over again.

Regardless of changes that WVIA has had to make in programming, I still feel they do a superb job programming their stations. I talk to other broadcasters across the country and the opinion isn't nearly as high for public broadcasters in other areas around the country as it is for WVIA. Their Our Town series is excellent on TV.

I feel bad for public broadcasters like WVIA too now that federal and state grants have been lessened. This isn't meant to be a discussion on whether you personally feel that government money is well spent on public broadcasting. Whether or not you feel that way, public broadcasting has long had a business model that included federal and state funding and much, if not all of that has been removed. They've been forced to reinvent themselves, and in a hurry too. Bravo for even staying on the air, WVIA! I don't know many businesses who could endure double digit losses in revenue and continue on....to not only stay afloat, but still offer great programming.

Our area is richly served by WVIA.

Ben Smith

WGMF

I should also mention that WVIA has endured many technical challenges over the past few years too.....fire, theft and more very expensive and demoralizing problems and has risen to meet these challenges too.

It's funny. Over on WILK. Steve Corbett is all up in arms over Kelly's salary. I guess it's his latest cause or thing to get all bent out of shape about. I was in the car yesterday and listening for about 20 minutes and he was trying to get Bill Kelly to call in. I doubt the guy ever did.

I've heard Steve do stuff like this in the past, and he always seems insulted or at least shocked when these targets don't call the show. Is it because they're genuinely scared OR do they just not want to talk to the local guy that probably doesn't have a HUGE audience anyway. In other words, is it just a case of "why bother? He'll eventualy move onto the next thing anyway?" I'd be interested to know what people think.

I think Steve Corbett is the worst talk show host I've ever heard, bar none.

That having been said, I can't help but be disgusted with Bill Kelly's
gorging himself at the public trough.
He may feel that he's "worth it". I think it's unconscionable.

" Of all of the people that I used to know
Most never adjusted to the great big world
I see them lurking in book stores
Working for the Public Radio "

Randy Newman - "It's Money that Matters"

Ah the good old days, Randy.

i agree with the last post by zenith... ill even go further ...none of the hosts on wilk are radio people... you have sue henry, and steve corbett (newspaper people) corbett is right about bill kelly though, but you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know hes not worth the money hes getting paid. its shameful. what ever the other employees at wvia are getting paid, thats to much also. as i said in my first post, most of the shows come from out of the area, and the ones that are still on are re-runs of re-runs.daniel o"donnell or the old man in alaska who built his cabin, or santa on the train ride, or old polka shows. and old ballroom dancing. and they want us to pay for these shows, and give these people big paychecks...if they love doing public broadcasting, why dont they take a cut in pay?

Down here in Central PA-WITF-PBS-channel 33- made the techs take a pay cut recently. Meanwhile Top level management are making enormous salaries.It's disgusting to see these pompous elites always asking for " OUR " contribution.

Worked at WVIA part time weekends early 90s full time commercial radio during the week WVIA constantly beg pleaded cried for money yet the equipment- boards- mikes -computers -phones (etc) was far better than anything at the six commercial stations I was at for ten years in the NE PA market maybe if Bill and the rest of the gang at WVIA like a radio version of the TV show wife swap stayed two weeks at a commercial station they would not be so greedy

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom