• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WUUB West palm beach flips to ESPN

Yep, they are going sports.. Can't dance to that...

The only good thing that might come out of this is X102.3 finally expanding their playlist and programming style per daypart. We might actually get our first well-programmed urban-leaning station out of Florida since 102 Jamz went bust.

Given its previous ownership with CBS, hopefully X102.3 retains its live and local approach under this transition to local ownership. Local ownership of urban radio (i.e. KPRS, KJLH and WHUR) is not as common. But I do feel bad for Palm Beach County for being stuck for now with only one urban choice of its own (pop 1.3 million) - not counting Miami/Fort Lauderdale or Fort Pierce.

bringbackradio said:
Given its previous ownership with CBS, hopefully X102.3 retains its live and local approach under this transition to local ownership. Local ownership of urban radio (i.e. KPRS, KJLH and WHUR) is not as common. But I do feel bad for Palm Beach County for being stuck for now with only one urban choice of its own (pop 1.3 million) - not counting Miami/Fort Lauderdale or Fort Pierce.

I'm not sure, although it is locally owned now. It seems Palm Beach Broadcasting has laid off or terminated many of the longstanding talent from the afternoon-turned-morning drive hosts the Babalus Boyz. Also I'm not too sure Poet Taylor, formerly of WPGC and 92Q Baltimore, is still with the station in the mornings either. The only known talent left in the morning from the website itself is Reggie D. I hope they remain local as well, but they are dropping traffic left and right.

I streamed them over the weekend and they are petty much Urban music wise. Rumor has it a new local morning show is coming soon, but Steve Harvey doesn't have a station in South Florida. West Palm also gets WJFP JAMS via a translator on 107.1.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
I streamed them over the weekend and they are petty much Urban music wise. Rumor has it a new local morning show is coming soon, but Steve Harvey doesn't have a station in South Florida. West Palm also gets WJFP JAMS via a translator on 107.1.
Clear Channel ran WMIB in Miami in the ground due to its unfocused direction in its urban format and the high turnover rate in its syndicated shows it carred (Doug Banks > Star and Bucwild > Harvey).

bringbackradio said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
Clear Channel ran WMIB in Miami in the ground due to its unfocused direction in its urban format and the high turnover rate in its syndicated shows it carred (Doug Banks > Star and Bucwild > Harvey).

Well, STEVE HARVEY it is! The live and local morning show didn't last long. However, many don't like "the new" X102.3 according to social media.

X-102.3 DUMPS HIP-HOP!

X102.3 is now officialy Urban AC, "The Beat R&B In The Palm Beaches." This once again gives Cox, 99 JAMZ the exclusive station for Hip-Hop and R&B from Palm Beach down I-95 to Miami.

Re: X-102.3 DUMPS HIP-HOP!

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
X102.3 is now officialy Urban AC, "The Beat R&B In The Palm Beaches." This once again gives Cox, 99 JAMZ the exclusive station for Hip-Hop and R&B from Palm Beach down I-95 to Miami.

And the idiocy continues with urban radio... ::) This is why urban radio is dying in many places because if you cannot do full-service justice then don't do it at all.

kilamanjero said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:

And the idiocy continues with urban radio... ::) This is why urban radio is dying in many places because if you cannot do full-service justice then don't do it at all.
Look at Birmingham as example. This time 20 years ago, you had one full service urban that was great, know you have 5 or 6 If you count the gospel station and they all play the same songs all day. Then look At V-103,WBLK AND KTCX and the station out of Rodchester NY. Great stations because they are full service

jchap1976 said:
kilamanjero said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:

Look at Birmingham as example. This time 20 years ago, you had one full service urban that was great, know you have 5 or 6 If you count the gospel station and they all play the same songs all day. Then look At V-103,WBLK AND KTCX and the station out of Rodchester NY. Great stations because they are full service
More than likely Palm Beach County has two options: WEDR for urban listeners and WPOW for rhythmic listeners given that WMBX was a rhythmic at one point. But I wish they left WMBX alone as a full service urban.

Just because a market has more than one or two urban outlets competitive-wise does not mean that a full service urban is impossible. KMEL, WVEE, WPGC, WBTJ, KIPR and KPRS are living proof. Cox's WJMZ in Greenville, SC is a full service urban that is R&B heavy, so you can still have 80% R&B without going for the "Urban AC" format tag. It's time for some mainstream/ac urban couplets to be separated from the cluster (i.e. WGCI/WVAZ or WUSL/WDAS)

bringbackradio said:
jchap1976 said:
kilamanjero said:
ShawtyBlack_ATL said:

More than likely Palm Beach County has two options: WEDR for urban listeners and WPOW for rhythmic listeners given that WMBX was a rhythmic at one point. But I wish they left WMBX alone as a full service urban.

Just because a market has more than one or two urban outlets competitive-wise does not mean that a full service urban is impossible. KMEL, WVEE, WPGC, WBTJ, KIPR and KPRS are living proof. Cox's WJMZ in Greenville, SC is a full service urban that is R&B heavy, so you can still have 80% R&B without going for the "Urban AC" format tag. It's time for some mainstream/ac urban couplets to be separated from the cluster (i.e. WGCI/WVAZ or WUSL/WDAS)

Typo: "The Best R&B in the Palm Beaches" is the new positioner. Honestly, I enjoyed X102.3's Rhythmic format under CBS ownership. They were always high energy and the playlist was well balanced with Hip-Hop and R&B for that region. A visit to X's Facebook page and listeners are complaining about the new format. An X jock replied that they were getting better numbers as Urban AC versus Rhythmic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom