• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTIS AM-1110 St. Petersburg

But isn't the standard reference radiator a quarter wave?
Is it fair to say that their daytime ERP is about 100Kw omnidirectional when compared to 50Kw into a standard reference radiator?
Such being the case, I would consider their ERP to include both the gain of their towers over standard reference quarter wave radiators plus their directional gain.
Of course, when vertical takeoff angles of radiation enter the equation, things begin to vary all over the place.

Sorry. That's not the way it's calculated. A non-directional 50kW AM station is not permitted to claim more than the actual transmitter power output. Antenna gain is not part of the equation.

WTIS AM 1110 has not been on the air today and in St. Pete, I was getting on the FM frequency of 101.1 another format (Salsa and Spanish pop and MOR) and I was thinking it might be a LPFM or another translator, but when driving to Tampa, it was in fact WTIS’s translator and at about 30 minutes past the hour, they gave their id. 3 or 4 times in a row; perhaps making up for the fact that there was no i.d.’s given from 48 minutes past the hour until 30 minutes past 3PM, today (tues-04-17-2018).

Sorry. That's not the way it's calculated...Antenna gain is not part of the equation.
Let us just say that they are radiating 300Kw this way as compared to 50Kw into a single radiating quarterwave element at some vertical angles. ;)
Interesting, my smilie should be size 5, but it is just the normal size.
By FCC Rules if the AM station goes off air, the translator must also go off air.
They could always switch to another station, although the AM revitalization program may or may not allow them to translate another AM station, definitely not an FM HD subchannel.

I heard both the AM and Translator playing the same Spanish Tropical Format this afternoon. Sounds like all Salsa. The translator audio quality sounds better than before, but it sounds like an iTunes playlist without any EOM's between the songs. The W266CW translator is an AM Revitalization 250 Mile Window facility. It must rebroadcast WTIS for 4 years until 11/25/2020.

They could always switch to another station, although the AM revitalization program may or may not allow them to translate another AM station, definitely not an FM HD subchannel.

Not allowed to switch to another station. A translator is licensed to retransmit a specific station.

What they were doing with "Timeless" was something that wasn't around here anymore. It was somewhat like WDUV a few years ago... between it's EZ days and today's AC. Now it's just another Salsa / Tropical / Spanish / call it what you want... station. Pretty sure we already have a few of those scattered across the dial. ...but I guess this's what we should have expected from a company who already operates similar formats on the other frequencies.

I have no idea who or what station I was hearing,
but I was driving in St. Pete last night and heard
the Christian "Focus on the Family" program on 101.1.
The only 101.1's I know of are W266CW, WUDN-LP, and WAVV.

I have no idea who or what station I was hearing,
but I was driving in St. Pete last night and heard
the Christian "Focus on the Family" program on 101.1.
The only 101.1's I know of are W266CW, WUDN-LP, and WAVV.

There were reports on another thread on this board of Tropo in the S.E., including Florida and some Florida members mentioned receiving strong signals from Georgia and S.C.......some indicated distant stations were playing havoc with full power local stations.

That said, if you heard “Focus on the Family” between 8 and 8:30PM, WAFT Valdosta (full 100,000 wattsWAFT) indicates “Focus on the Family” on their website during that time period........assuming of course, their website is up to date.

Last edited:
Yes, the time is about right and height doesn't matter for tropos.
They had to have been the one that was WAFTing in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom