• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSHE

LOL.

The station will continue to get a 2 share and will get a new name and adjusted format within a couple of years.

With different variations of AC and different branding. Might as well change from she 100.3 back to Chicago 100.3fm. I can’t remember how many times they called themselves Chicago’s 100.3fm in the past.

I do like the changes to the playlist. It hits a nerve (in a positive way) that the other Chicago stations largely miss.

It will be interesting to see if this mostly 90's & 00's format picks up any traction.

I do like the changes to the playlist. It hits a nerve (in a positive way) that the other Chicago stations largely miss.

It will be interesting to see if this mostly 90's & 00's format picks up any traction.
Any station where the first song you hear on tuning in (as I did) is Mmm-Bop is a winner in my book...!

Judging from the playlist, it looks like SHE didn't stop loving the 80s.

A bit different from newly-launched KISS 107.9 in Sacramento, which has more pop from the 2010s and beyond in their playlist. Not as different from play 107.1 in Edmonton, however.

Judging from the playlist, it looks like SHE didn't stop loving the 80s.

A bit different from newly-launched KISS 107.9 in Sacramento, which has more pop from the 2010s and beyond in their playlist. Not as different from play 107.1 in Edmonton, however.
There are a few songs from the early 2010s, as well.

This is just an adjustment on what they’ve been doing for years.

They're calling it a throwback weekend as they usually do. It could be that this is the new sound of the format or that we have to wait until Monday to hear exactly how she loves the 90s and 00s.

I don’t know why this is listed as an AC station. It’s “Classic Hot AC” —many of the songs would not fit into an AC format and almost everything they play is well over six or seven years old….not one new song or recent recurrent. I’m not complaining —just pointing out it’s not really an AC station per se. Or is it? And I know “Classic Hot AC” isn’t even an industry term but maybe it should be…(?)

I don’t know why this is listed as an AC station.
Listed where?

If you refer to Nielsen, they don't have a wide and deeply varied list of formats stations can self describe by. Nielsen, in fact, does not use format names in any part of ratings processing. They list format names in the reports that go to ad agencies and subscribers so that, principally, advertisers can tell different kids of stations apart. Advertisers don't need anything beyond general descriptions.

On the other hand, trade websites and publications can call formats however they want. But Nielsen only offers a shorter list of formats stations can select the best fit from.

At the same time, BDS and MediaBase have a group of experts who decide based on rotations, individual songs and the like which panel each monitored station will be part of.

But there is no set of rules that tell stations which kinds of songs they have to play.
It’s “Classic Hot AC” —many of the songs would not fit into an AC format and almost everything they play is well over six or seven years old….not one new song or recent recurrent. I’m not complaining —just pointing out it’s not really an AC station per se. Or is it? And I know “Classic Hot AC” isn’t even an industry term but maybe it should be…(?)
Again, the format names are very arbitrary. Each station will make music decisions based on listener reaction, not industry insider terms.

Listed where?

If you refer to Nielsen, they don't have a wide and deeply varied list of formats stations can self describe by. Nielsen, in fact, does not use format names in any part of ratings processing. They list format names in the reports that go to ad agencies and subscribers so that, principally, advertisers can tell different kids of stations apart. Advertisers don't need anything beyond general descriptions.

On the other hand, trade websites and publications can call formats however they want. But Nielsen only offers a shorter list of formats stations can select the best fit from.

At the same time, BDS and MediaBase have a group of experts who decide based on rotations, individual songs and the like which panel each monitored station will be part of.

But there is no set of rules that tell stations which kinds of songs they have to play.

Again, the format names are very arbitrary. Each station will make music decisions based on listener reaction, not industry insider terms.
Ok then….as for “listed where” I meant Radio-online which does state each stations format. Never mind…who cares…if WSHE Chicago is AC so be it.

Radio-Online often has wrong formats listed. Not just them, it's just bad data.

WSHE would be considered Adult Hits, but Hubbard has a habit of constantly tweaking that station. Usually never goes TOO far from AC. They have gone from AC to 80s-90s AC (Adult Hits wasn't a thing at the time) to Rhythmic-leaning Soft AC to Rhythmic Oldies to Adult Hits to AC to Modern-ish AC to AC and again to Adult Hits in the last 20 years

These days they're using the legendary KDWB jingle package, along with some inventive imaging and absolutely amazing classic pop music including some mainstream dance (2Unlimited "Get Ready For This", Guetta/Sia "Titanium" etc.) Too bad Chicago isn't showing it enough love, with a 1.2 in the latest 6+.

Last edited:
I'm sure people knows 100.3 FM that plays different AC genre throughout the years and still some people call this station "Chicago's 100.3" even it went thru different name in the past, "Windy 100, 100.3 LOVE-FM, Rewind 100.3, She 100.3"

I'm sure people knows 100.3 FM that plays different AC genre throughout the years and still some people call this station "Chicago's 100.3" even it went thru different name in the past, "Windy 100, 100.3 LOVE-FM, Rewind 100.3, She 100.3"

100.3 The Point, 100.3 WPNT, 100.3 Chicago's FM100, Chicago's 100.3, Windy 100FM, Windy 100...Time For You, Windy 100.3, 100.3 WNND, 100.3 Love FM, Chicago's 100.3, Rewind 100.3, Chicago's 100.3, The New 100.3 WSHE, She 100.3, The New 100.3

An issue with the current incarnation may be the branding: "She loves the 90s and 2000s." To me something simpler like "Hot 100" would have been easier for retention etc. The station also plays a significant number of 80s cuts, which undercuts the tagline. It would also seem that males are being "turned away" in a sense with the "she" branding. These possible issues aside, it's sort of like 100.3 is the classic version of 103.5 Kiss FM and 104.3 Jams is the classic version of B96.

Last edited:
As long as WTMX is the force it is, 100.3 will limp along with some kind of gold AC format. IMO, instead of changing the name and calls every couple of years, they should just keep an on air moniker and playlist and accept the ratings this frequency is going to get with this kind of format instead of constantly changing everything. It can’t be a 3 share station and a flanker to WTMX.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom