• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSBC-1240 carrying WCPT-820 overnight

WSBC-1240 in Chicago has been heard after midnight since Nov. 8 with WCPT-820 programming, NBC News, and ID, “WCPT 820 Willow Springs, WSBC 1240 Chicago.” They were back to Polish programming the following day (Nov. 9), and then heard with WCPT programming late the following evening. WSBC, the survivor of the longtime three-station share time arrangement, had been going off every night, usually operating 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. CST, with various foreign-language programming and 1960s and 70s music in unsold segments. Looks like WCPT’s “Progressive Talk” will operate in the unsold overnight period.

Koolmotor I noticed that too. Heard them with WCPT programming at 11:30 PM the other day. Too bad as it appears that WSBC will now be on 24 hours instead of going off at 10 PM making DXing 1240 more challenging. Of interest is the fact that WSBC and WCPT use the same tower on Milwaukee Avenue. At least during the daytime. At night WCPT uses their site in Joliet.

@CADXER: When did WSBC end transmitting from the big tower on Belmont Ave.? (it could've been ages ago for all I know) Does any station (AM or FM) transmit from that site anymore? I remember seeing that tower going up when I was a kid. I grew up not far from there.

@CADXER: When did WSBC end transmitting from the big tower on Belmont Ave.? (it could've been ages ago for all I know) Does any station (AM or FM) transmit from that site anymore? I remember seeing that tower going up when I was a kid. I grew up not far from there.

It was in April 1997, when WSBC purchased and merged with WEDC. According to FCC the following FM stations use it as AUX tower: WBMX, WCKL, WAWE, WBBM, WCFS, WUSN and WXRT. I also used to lived close to the tower back in 1980's.

Back
Top Bottom