• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WROC-WUHF Merger Raises Some Interesting Questions

M

Mark_Giardina

I’ve learned that the shop steward at WROC has called for the rank-and-file to meet Tuesday to discuss the just-announced 8/31 merger.

This raises an interesting point. As some of you in Rochester might remember, Nexstar tried a few years ago to get rid of the CWA union, which represents videographers and other technical staff at 8. So the question is will Nexstar try to break the union by offering jobs to non-union employees at WUHF who are among the 26 that are slated to lose their jobs?

I highly doubt you will see any changes when it comes to the anchor positions. Melanie Barnas and Ty Chandler might end up just being reporters, which 8 certainly can use. What will happen to the other 31 reporters remains to be seen.

<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

> I’ve learned that the shop steward at WROC has called for
> the rank-and-file to meet Tuesday to discuss the
> just-announced 8/31 merger.
>
> This raises an interesting point. As some of you in
> Rochester might remember, Nexstar tried a few years ago to
> get rid of the CWA union, which represents videographers and
> other technical staff at 8. So the question is will Nexstar
> try to break the union by offering jobs to non-union
> employees at WUHF who are among the 26 that are slated to
> lose their jobs?
>
> I highly doubt you will see any changes when it comes to the
> anchor positions. Melanie Barnas and Ty Chandler might end
> up just being reporters, which 8 certainly can use. What
> will happen to the other 31 reporters remains to be seen.

I thought that the technicians at WROC were in NABET? The on air people are in AFTRA so I guess that would mean anyone coming over from CH 31 would have to join the union(s). As a viewer, I applaud this move by both stations. I just hope no one loses their job.
>

> I’ve learned that the shop steward at WROC has called for
> the rank-and-file to meet Tuesday to discuss the
> just-announced 8/31 merger.
> This raises an interesting point. As some of you in
> other technical staff at 8. So the question is will Nexstar
> try to break the union by offering jobs to non-union
> employees at WUHF who are among the 26 that are slated to
> lose their jobs?

They'd be crazy to do it, if only because that'd breach an ongoing contract, give the aggrieved parties an immediate right to strike, and probably see the picket line respected by air talent (which IIRC is represented by AFTRA at both Channel 8 and Channel 10). That kind of stuff almost killed Channel 8 30 years ago, and they've never completely rebounded from it yet; that station couldn't take another labor meltdown. Actually, it may not be an issue. My guess is, only a few Fox 31 tech people will be brought on board, off-air administrative and editorial people aren't union in either shop and won't be an issue if they do move to 201 Humboldt, and the few on-air staff will just be absorbed into whatever bargaining unit exists to represent them at WROC (again, I think it's still AFTRA unless something's changed).

> I highly doubt you will see any changes when it comes to the
> anchor positions. Melanie Barnas and Ty Chandler might end
> up just being reporters, which 8 certainly can use. What
> will happen to the other 31 reporters remains to be seen.

Evidently they'll try to use them all, which will bring them back up to full strength.

I just hope
> no one loses their job.
> >
>

26 people are expected to get the ax. It is most likely the pink slips will be handed out to those employed at 31. That is just my opinion. I have no proof as to who will lose their jobs.

<P ID="signature">______________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them".</P>

> As some of you in
> other technical staff at 8.

They're represented by NABET--not CWA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom