• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRFY

Who's the former WRFY voiceover guy? I heard it was Chuck Corbin but also see he wrote a while back it was Sam O'Neil.
Post by: Chuck Corbin on July 21, 2006, 05:37:21 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our voice guy at WRFY is Sam O'Neil (Word of Mouth Productions) out of Las Vegas.

Speaking of WRFY, I thought the music mix was much better, even as late as 2007. The past few years has seen a heavy placement on classic rock with less currents. I thought that before the playing field was much more even distributed. Anyone agree? I also liked there processing etter too then.

Hey John! I never was the voice guy there. After Sammy passed away, to save money (the Clear Channel way), they had the production guy from FM97 do the liners. Don't know who does them now, I honestly haven't listened since I was left go in April 2009.

Years ago, CC had to downgrade the signal on WRFY because of cap related reasons. What would happen under different ownership of the station if that were to ever happen? I am wondering if reverting to its former power would be a "minor change".

Downgrade its signal why again?
Can you explain ?
I remember it would come in well around the mid-90's semi okay on a car radio here in Bensalem, and I know I've heard it in Huntington Vally around that time too.
I used to have just this bookself system, and I'd have the a antenna pointed just so that I COULD GET IT.
Loved the morning show (nick and ted?) i think, and wasn't there a travis somebody doing 10A-2P?I remember calling him his last day? Or was it a brown or james? lol. (hey cut me some slack here I was a kid!)
Forget who did afternoons and nights, but I remember many nights wakeing up and loving the request show that would be on in the overnights.
Even as late as 2007, WRFY was good IMO, same voiceover guy, and a different sorta rock direction then I've heard anywhere else.
Seemed to me it never was quite an AOR station.
I remember one friday in the mid 90's around the time "Good Friday" came out by the black crows, and a male DJ was talkin 'bout the song as it ended. They gave album information as to where you could get the song and said something 'bout it being a black good friday .
I'd give anything to have unscoped airchecks of that time period, any daypart. One promo I remember as they'd start a classic rock tune went "Y102: where we never forget about your favorit classic rock hits." Whomever did programming back then was a genious.

I remember being yelled at to get ready for school and being late for the bus cause I was listening to Nick and Ted... LOL

Y102 (to me) is a shell of its former self.

I'm not the best person to explain this, and it was a long time ago (over a decade). I am guessing that someone like Scott Fybush, among others, would explain this well.

I believe that WRFY had to downgrade its signal so that it did not reach so much of the Philadelphia area where it owns (and owned) 6 other stations. I am wondering whether this station could ever regain the signal it once had if ownership transferred.

Also, John H, I remember hearing "your old pal" Freddy Izetti. Is he still there?

observer2 said:
I believe that WRFY had to downgrade its signal so that it did not reach so much of the Philadelphia area where it owns (and owned) 6 other stations. I am wondering whether this station could ever regain the signal it once had if ownership transferred.

Also, John H, I remember hearing "your old pal" Freddy Izetti. Is he still there?

I've actually asked this same question about the signal being upgraded a time or two and no one was ever able to answer it. I do know that WRFY used to have a 19kW signal and had to downgrade to 10kW. I believe you are correct about why the downgrade occurred.

Freddie Isettie (aka, "Your personal pal") hasn't been at Y-102 for probably 10 years, or close to it, now.

John, I think the mid-day DJ you were remembering was Trapper Browne. He left to go to WTPA in Harrisburg, but I don't see him listed on their website anymore.

KSB said:
observer2 said:

I've actually asked this same question about the signal being upgraded a time or two and no one was ever able to answer it. I do know that WRFY used to have a 19kW signal and had to downgrade to 10kW. I believe you are correct about why the downgrade occurred.

WRFY probably cannot return to the former 19 kW power, at least not without a legal fight. Their site is short-spaced to first-adjacent stations on 102.7 in Williamsport and Baltimore (normal required separation is 105 miles) and possibly some others. These locations were authorized before 1964, so the separations are considered "grandfathered".

The FCC once accepted negotiated agreements permitting WRFY to operate with full non-directional Class B facilities -- but Clear Channel gave up some of this grandfathered interference overlap, so I doubt the station will get it back unless there's a change in regime at the Media Bureau. (Under the old policy, WIOV was also able to increase power despite the short spacing to 105.1 in Williamsport and Alexandria, VA. In fact, practically every Class B station in southeast PA is short-spaced in some direction.)

The pertinent FCC rule is 73.213, but the Commission has revised this several times since 1964, so I suppose anything is possible.

So this is why i was able to get it better before (when i didn't have a roophtop antenna?
I remember Freddy.

And yes, trapper was it!
What happend to these guys?

Anybody know who the jock that did overnights on this station in the mid 90's? took requests during the overnight. spent lots of nights listening to him.

As far as the overnight guys go, I remember Tom Texter, Todd Matthews and Jason Mitchell. Are any of these guys the ones you were thinking about?

Not sure, i dont remember hearing a name. If it helps it was in 1994-95maybe some in 96 that I listened most overnights at 3 AM.

Todd Matthews was the overnight guy at Y-102 starting in 1992 and he was there for several years, so that is probably who you meant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom