• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WQBC 1420 AM / Vicksburg... files for a renewal

Hey all -

I saw that WQBC 1420 AM in Vicksburg filed a renewal application Monday, this despite being off the air for 7+ years continually and having absolutely no tower site.

Does anyone know what is going on there? Have they replaced their tower site? Otherwise, it is a false certification on the application.

--- Casual Observer

I've always wondered why they couldn't have gotten on the air by duplexing on AM 1490 or putting up a wire antenna. I even saw a picture of small AM antenna near a golf course that looked like a single free standing pole. I don't remember the station or what the antenna was called but I don't think it was that expensive and could handle up to 5000 watts. It looks like they could have done something like that instead of staying off the air and risk losing the license. They could have also tried to get an FM translator but that may be too late now.

I've always wondered why they couldn't have gotten on the air by duplexing on AM 1490 or putting up a wire antenna. I even saw a picture of small AM antenna near a golf course that looked like a single free standing pole. I don't remember the station or what the antenna was called but I don't think it was that expensive and could handle up to 5000 watts. It looks like they could have done something like that instead of staying off the air and risk losing the license. They could have also tried to get an FM translator but that may be too late now.

That's a Valcom...and it is expensive..$20K plus

That's a Valcom...and it is expensive..$20K plus

I wasn't aware that it was expensive. Looked like a fiberglass pole in the pictures I've seen. Looked like it would have been cheaper than a metal tower. Maybe I was wrong. Of course I'm no engineer.

I guess since the thread was bumped, WQBC was formally deleted last year. The Commission asked for proof the station was on the air as part of the renewal proceeding, and WQBC responded with its license.

I guess since the thread was bumped, WQBC was formally deleted last year. The Commission asked for proof the station was on the air as part of the renewal proceeding, and WQBC responded with its license.

That confirms what some of us already suspected

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom