• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPPI 1330 AM and WUWG 90.7 FM

jhead said:
I heard from Tom Cooper that a guy named Bob Thorton started WBTR. BTR stood for Bob Thorton Radio. Is that true?

It was Bob Thorburn, who is now a broker. And no, he didn't start it. He was the GM. At the time, the station was owned by Faulkner Radio from Mobile, Alabama. They also owned a station in Auburn/Opelika. It was rumored that WBTR stood for Bob Thorburn Radio, but only Bob knows for sure.

LF

The station in Bremen now goes by WGMI and has for sometime. It did gospel for a while then classic rock and now back to gospel

Program Mgr WWGC, Talent in W.Ga..

You guys are right on the money. I did not work at WPPI. However, I did start my radio career near there in Bremen at WSLE 1440 AM back in 1985. It was owned at the time by Mike Brothers, who was a pretty good news guy but not very successful as an owner. He later worked at a station in Rome doing news.

As far as WWGC, I did attend West Ga. College briefly 1983-84. I did not work at the station but did hang out with a buddy of mine who worked there. His name was Steve Kaufman. Does anybody remember him or what became of him?

Back to WSLE. I worked with Kyle Caldwell there. He later worked for WBTR owned at the time by Dallas Tarkenton. It was Kyle who got me the interview at WCOH in Newnan with Dallas' son Chuck in September 1986. I've been there since. Kyle Caldwell went to work in sales in Atlanta at WSB I think. Anybody know what happened to him?

UR

Manager WWGC, as Album91... '84-86. Rick Z is in Dalton, Jeff Childs is in Tennessee... I've kept in touch with a few people, too. Matt Cook on Ga Radio News. I worked Morning for Mike Brothers WSLE before he couldn't pay us.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom