• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOWQ "105.1 The Wolf" (Waverly, TN) flips to Variety Hits

AMFMKYTN

Frequent Participant
Consolidated Media LLC flipped Classic Country WOWQ "105.1 The Wolf" (Waverly) to Variety Hits "105.1 The Train" several days ago.

The station applied to move into the Clarksville market area earlier in 2021, so "The Train" branding could be a reference to the Monkee's song "Last Train To Clarksville".

According to the station's web site, artists played include: Naked Eyes, Grand Funk Railroad, Rod Stewart, The Chainsmokers, Phil Collins, Imagine Dragons, The Fixx, and Tears for Fears.

Consolidated Media LLC flipped Classic Country WOWQ "105.1 The Wolf" (Waverly) to Variety Hits "105.1 The Train" several days ago.

The station applied to move into the Clarksville market area earlier in 2021, so "The Train" branding could be a reference to the Monkee's song "Last Train To Clarksville".

According to the station's web site, artists played include: Naked Eyes, Grand Funk Railroad, Rod Stewart, The Chainsmokers, Phil Collins, Imagine Dragons, The Fixx, and Tears for Fears.

When it was classic country running the Local Radio Networks programming, i was the overnight DJ :) i think there was a time when they ran LRN and then homebrewed it themselves, i think

The station applied to move into the Clarksville market area earlier in 2021, so "The Train" branding could be a reference to the Monkees song "Last Train To Clarksville".
It would be strange for a "variety hits" station to name themselves after a song that is now 56 years old! (But then again, nothing that Consolidated has done with this station has made any sense.) I know from having lived in Clarksville that "Last Train" was NOT about Clarksville, TN (although some there may try to claim it). It was about Clarksville, AZ.

Meanwhile, this station is on about its fifth set of call letters in as many years!

Their website claims that they play everyone from Steve Miller Band to Lady Gaga! That is a wide range, even for a station of this nature.

It would be strange for a "variety hits" station to name themselves after a song that is now 56 years old! (But then again, nothing that Consolidated has done with this station has made any sense.) I know from having lived in Clarksville that "Last Train" was NOT about Clarksville, TN (although some there may try to claim it). It was about Clarksville, AZ.

Meanwhile, this station is on about its fifth set of call letters in as many years!

Their website claims that they play everyone from Steve Miller Band to Lady Gaga! That is a wide range, even for a station of this nature.

I work for another station that is.. almost as wide variety as that... nothing too hard soft or slow.... ac variety, but plays alot from the 70s to today of every genre.

It would be strange for a "variety hits" station to name themselves after a song that is now 56 years old!
Or, more likely, after the group Train. I hope not, considering that "Hey Soul Sister" is an absolutely awful song that refuses to die. I know soccer moms eat it up, but I've had enough of that whiney guy bragging about his chest hair.

They did the same thing with 98.3 in Portsmouth, Ohio. Switched from Classic Country to Gospel and then soon after to Hot A/C.

I really enjoyed the Classic Country playlist that they used at both The Coyote (98.3 Portsmouth) and 105.1 The Wolf, but I don't think they have any idea what they're doing business-wise. Even their website hasn't been updated: https://mylocalstations.com/

I happened to be tuned in yesterday afternoon at the top of the hour, and heard a legal ID. I must say that I am very surprised that a call-letter change didn't come with this latest switch. After all, they have had their current call letters for what, 15 minutes now?

They did the same thing with 98.3 in Portsmouth, Ohio. Switched from Classic Country to Gospel and then soon after to Hot A/C.

I really enjoyed the Classic Country playlist that they used at both The Coyote (98.3 Portsmouth) and 105.1 The Wolf, but I don't think they have any idea what they're doing business-wise. Even their website hasn't been updated: https://mylocalstations.com/

For a time when 105.1 was classic country,. it ran the local radio networks 24/7 classic country format

I was able to hear them at the house today east of Gallatin for a short time. I am assuming the flip back to classic country was because their two mod apps were dismissed, the latter in early March.

Or, more likely, after the group Train. I hope not, considering that "Hey Soul Sister" is an absolutely awful song that refuses to die. I know soccer moms eat it up, but I've had enough of that whiney guy bragging about his chest hair.[/b]

You must have listened to that god-awful song MUCH more closely than I did. I usually tuned out as soon as I heard the first couple of notes of it. Granted that I have now aged WAY out of A.C., but that horrendous song was too much for me even back when it was still a "hit."

Is this the station that claimed they were a Nashville station, only their signal was creamed by a couple of low power stations? Someone bought a bag of bad tricks.

Firepoint. Hope you are doing well. We looked at that station a few years back. That was when the signal wasn’t yet being sliced and diced by translators on the Nashville side. The group that bought that station had every intention of being The Wolf and bringing it back to Nashville. Now you cannot hear the signal in Davidson County. I need to revisit the signal and see if it’s just a signal issue or there is no chance. A lotta farmland between where you are and the Tennessee river. I would have to think its a tough game. By the way, why are you listening to anything but Hippie? We have to have a little talk.

Firepoint. Hope you are doing well. We looked at that station a few years back. That was when the signal wasn’t yet being sliced and diced by translators on the Nashville side. The group that bought that station had every intention of being The Wolf and bringing it back to Nashville. Now you cannot hear the signal in Davidson County. I need to revisit the signal and see if it’s just a signal issue or there is no chance. A lotta farmland between where you are and the Tennessee river. I would have to think its a tough game. By the way, why are you listening to anything but Hippie? We have to have a little talk.
The wife picked up Sirius XM satellite radio for us, so I have been listening to the Beatles channel a LOT lately. (She probably wishes that I would listen to the Elvis channel more often!) As for local radio, I still listen to Hippie quite a bit, but they still seem to drop the last segment of their holiday retro countdowns. They failed to air the final segment of the retro American Top 40 countdown on July 4th. And this was a countdown that they heavily promoted leading up to the holiday. So maybe they might have actually had more ears tuned into them because of the promotion of that. It is certainly why I was tuned in! (They would probably blame that slip-up on computers, as they have done that before!) As you probably know, I live just across the field from the cellphone tower that also doubles as Hippie's translator site.

As for 105.1, take a listen to it where you live. Is there a hispanic station on that frequency? I'm thinking that there is, although I may have it confused with 101.5.

I happened to be tuned in yesterday afternoon at the top of the hour, and heard a legal ID. I must say that I am very surprised that a call-letter change didn't come with this latest switch. After all, they have had their current call letters for what, 15 minutes now?
Okay, I take back what I said earlier. According to Radio-Locator, they have indeed changed call letters, although apparently not at the time that I posted the above.

WLFNfirst used 6/3/2022

You are right. Last two songs on the July 4th countdown were blown out after the AT40 Extra. An odd glitch. But you did get the world’s longest version of American Pie.

You are right. Last two songs on the July 4th countdown were blown out after the AT40 Extra. An odd glitch. But you did get the world’s longest version of American Pie.
Ordinarily, I tune out whenever I hear "a long, long time ago...." But I stayed with them this time, because I was expecting the countdown to return. But it never did.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom