• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

Corky Marlowe said:
My biggest beef with country music is songs that mention other artists and songs. I know they think they're relating to the listener, but I think it's the laziest trick in the songwriter's book.

Reminds me of Gretchen's "redneck Woman."

Corky Marlowe said:
My biggest beef with country music is songs that mention other artists and songs. I know they think they're relating to the listener, but I think it's the laziest trick in the songwriter's book.

This has been going on for years but it seems to be increasing. In the 90s Merle Haggard was the artist I most often heard mentioned in country songs. Now it seems George Strait is the artist named the most, to the point where it's a lyrical crutch.

This isn't exclusive to country. The current huge CHR hit by Miley Cyrus "Party in the USA" has artists such as Jay-Z and Britney Spears in the lyrics.

Corky Marlowe said:

A great Dance Song is Becky Hobb's "Jones On the Jukebox". Is Hank the most mentioned artist in history?

Worst songs anything by Toby Keith.......well maybe 50%....ok, 25%.

Bottom line: If you like it, it's great. If you don't, it sucks. That line works for just about any generalization in music.

I've heard some of the worst songs and some of the best songs on country radio performed by Toby Keith.

I went in a store I don't usually and heard "Pickin' Wildflowers" by Keith Anderson. That's one of the worst.

I bought a wifi radio so I could listen to some real country music on KWKH & WSM.

What is being played on "today's country" is beyond horrible. I'll be so glad when this fad has run its course. It is garbage.

Lancer said:
I'll be so glad when this fad has run its course. It is garbage.

Funny...that's what they said during Urban Cowboy period 30 years ago. Now all the music that was big then is considered classic, and trhe folks who made it are being called legends.

In order to keep the yound demos tuned in,today's tunes are geared to them,so the producers had to fire all the bango,fiddle and steel guitar pickers and hire rock guitar,drummer,keyboard and basses to fit the bill,then add some curse words to the lyrics,Wow I can see if Minnie and Roy were still here ,they will be handing soap bars around.

Oh come on now. No banjos in Willie's band.

To the best of my knowledge, every hot young star has a fiddle, banjo, and steel player in the band. No one uses curse words. Except the occasional "ass."

You really should listen to some of the music you're criticizing.

TheBigA said:
Lancer said:
I'll be so glad when this fad has run its course. It is garbage.

Funny...that's what they said during Urban Cowboy period 30 years ago. Now all the music that was big then is considered classic, and trhe folks who made it are being called legends.
The Urrban Cowboy music was good.

This isn't going to happen this time around.

TheBigA said:

To the best of my knowledge, every hot young star has a fiddle, banjo, and steel player in the band. No one uses curse words. Except the occasional "ass."

We tried it. Didn't like it.

And I don't want the curse words either.

Brad Paisley almost made a good song ... almost. "I'm Still a Guy" has THAT WORD in it.

vchimpanzee said:
Brad Paisley almost made a good song ... almost. "I'm Still a Guy" has THAT WORD in it.

What? "A pair?"

Offending people something Waylon never cared about. If he had something to say, he said it, even if it offended people. Hank Jr. throws all kinds of curse words around. Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound. He uses hell and damn like sugar and spice.

Merle Haggard said that country music is real music by real people. Real people say bad words. They say them a lot. Their music reflects how they speak.

You're using selective reasoning. It's OK for the artists you like, but not for the ones you don't.

TheBigA said:
vchimpanzee said:

What? "A pair?"

Offending people something Waylon never cared about. If he had something to say, he said it, even if it offended people. Hank Jr. throws all kinds of curse words around. Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound. He uses hell and damn like sugar and spice.

Merle Haggard said that country music is real music by real people. Real people say bad words. They say them a lot. Their music reflects how they speak.

You're using selective reasoning. It's OK for the artists you like, but not for the ones you don't.
Maybe. I don't remember which word, but Brad's not "outlaw" enough to get away with it. I just remember it's a word I'd just as soon not hear.

Hank Jr. has done some songs I don't like, but for the most part he's fine.

Brad Paisley's "I'm Still a Guy" is a terrible song in my opinion. Nothing but further glorification of hyper-masculinity.

dustintv said:
Brad Paisley's "I'm Still a Guy" is a terrible song in my opinion. Nothing but further glorification of hyper-masculinity.

I agree. I thought that I was the only one who felt that way.

I don't care for the lyrics of a few different Paisley songs, probably more than any other country artist.

I think Paisley mostly jumped the shark with his album "The World" in 2007. (2006?)

TheBigA said:

I do all the time,Oh I must be getting hard of hearing at my old age,It must be my old age, Sorry I can't hear the fiddle, banjo, and steel in this new so called country music and it sound like rock and roll to me,I've been a fan of country music for 30 plus years.and played it too.My opinion when country music to me hit a sour note when in the early 1990's,the same as pop main stream music got trashed by mixing rap in to it in the late 1980's.I.m not knocking Rock and Roll.I love it,I listen to it all day at work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom