• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNUQ purchased by Albany brewery

I read the article. There was a red flag for me. I agree radio can always be better or improved. It is how we continue in this industry. The problem seems to be when we dislike everything that got radio to this point to the point we find it of no value in it. We can create great 'new' radio by building upon the blocks that are already the foundation of radio. When we kick down the blocks and try to build from the ground up, w find ourselves outside the circle of the typical radio listener. The article seemed to emphasize being the station that tosses the baby out with the bath water. In other words, you make a better mousetrap instead of throwing the mousetrap away and starting from scratch.

"Red flag" is a good term...

It seems most popular in the radio industry that about once a year, someone swears they have the magic formula to make a station nationally-recognized.

For the past 5-10 years, it usually goes like this:

A) Radio vet is involved with buying and operating a station
B) Radio vet goes on the local/radio insider press circuit, swearing what they're about to do is unique
C) Radio vet says the one difference is the DJs will be 'live and local' with a 'curated local sound'
D) Radio station goes on air to much local fanfare
E) In about 6 months, at best, above mentioned station is middle-to-lower part of the pack
F) Radio station survives strictly based on good salesfolks who are able to make the connection with local businesses
G) Everybody forgets in a matter of months.

I'm not going to say its a bad thing, as these stations are usually better off ratings-wise and financially than they were before. But, I doubt these stations will turn the national (or for that matter, local) radio scene on its head.

This is a great idea! Nothing better than combining a profitable business with a radio station. Back in the 1920s, some of the early broadcasters did the same thing. Car dealers made great broadcasters. So did electronics manufacturers and department stores. The great thing about this is the radio station becomes an attraction for people coming to the brewery. There may be an FCC issue locating a radio station in a brewery, but as long as they don't drink on the air, they'll probably be OK.

I would definitely agree it's a good idea for a radio station to be owned by a craft brewery, or any small business looking to expand and get free advertising (especially for the price they picked it up for). My issue comes with the radio vets involved who over-publicize it and want it to be considered the "next big thing". Trust me, it probably won't be. Do good radio that the community wants, and the hyped-up publicity will follow.

I'm assuming the "Queen B" will be a format not unlike WPGA-FM in Macon? If so, it's gonna all have to be sold locally. That's not a problem in a place like Albany, or Macon. But you better have a crack team of salespeople to "make the connection".

I wish them luck. For the price, they should be able to do this without selling their soul to a bank or lender.

I'm a fan of the concept of artisan industries and "non media" companies with a local footprint taking a fresh look at radio. Sure, it's not guaranteed that they'll be better, or even good. But we need to be trying new things to remain relevant, and some of these new entrants have successfully created businesses and brands that reflect their communities and regions. If they can successfully translate that approach to broadcasting, good for them. Better than another format in a box or national network feed.

Also, I'm not so sure they're too radical in their approach or perspective. It's being managed by someone with a long time history in the market, and a ton of experience in multiple successful groups & stations that served that community. She obviously has knowledge of the market and an established connection with listeners.

It may not be the next "big" thing - but I think it can be something special. If you can reach enough people with common interests and cultural values (craft brewing, the festival music experience, a certain view of the arts and "local" business) these types of stations can be both financially viable and very much loved by their audience.

And actually, the "next big" thing about this may very well be the way in which this station was purchased.

More and more, FM (and AM for the last 10 years) stations are becoming affordable again. Heck, they purchased the station (not sure if it includes transmitter plant or not) for about the same price as a fixer-upper home in Albany. When stations are that cheap, you will start to see more local ownership again. The difference is unlike up until the 90's, it won't be a standalone operation. It'll be owned by a restaurant, bar, store, car lot, brewery, etc as a secondary business. To use a cliche business term: the synergy is there to make it an affordable, unique, and hopefully profitable side operation.

I do wish them luck...unless they start throwing around the term "curated" in regards to their music mix. The pretentious-meter goes off and it's vastly overused by radio!

I do wish them luck...unless they start throwing around the term "curated" in regards to their music mix. The pretentious-meter goes off and it's vastly overused by radio!

It's really not as pretentious as you think. The term means "programmed by a person" so as to distinguish from lists like Pandora that are created by algorithm.

So it's really a term of the trade with a specific meaning, and a positive one in many people's perspective.

I'm all for businesses like Pretoria Fields buying stations. That might well breathe new life in to radio as an industry. The big risk is not understanding radio. Not to discount anyone working in radio, but as many have learned the hard way, running a successful station takes a real world understanding of programming and sales/marketing. Unfortunately radio has produced many with one side (sales or programming) professionals. For the buyer not understanding radio, hiring a person with only experience on the sales side or only from the programming side to run the station may not be a good idea.

The thing I have learned in direct business to business sales is I'm selling them on their imagination. They imagine what they want their advertising to do. My job is to make that happen within their budget. But to sell it, I know I have to look the client in the eyes on results, so I want the station's programming to be the best it can be. The best programming assures the results but is not understood by the advertiser and not a big factor in their decision making. It's all about them and what they get for their dollars.

https://news.radio-online.com/artic...ion-Trust-Closes-on-Sale-of-WNUQ-FM-Albany-GA

Update

The Mainstay Station Trust LLC has closed on the sale of Country WNUQ-FM (102.1 Nash Icon)/Albany, GA to Joe Harris Morgan III's Pretoria Fields Collective Media for $90,000. The station will change call letters to WPFQ as "Q102, The Queen Bee" on January 2 under a new undisclosed format. The Mainstay Station Trust is headed by San Francisco-based media broker Elliot Evers of MVP Capital.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom