• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNJC 1360 DX Test This Weekend!

SomeRadioGuy, since you're in contact with the engineer at WNJC, maybe you can get an answer to this: When did WNJC start using its licensed 4-tower array during the day and 2 towers at night directional?

I ask because several times between 1995 and 2005, I was able to listen to WNJC west of Philadelphia with a pretty good signal, and the rumor at the time was that the station operated 'under an STA' using 1 tower nondirectional day and night for 'an extended period'.

Not really sure and I'm not sure that's something I'll get an answer to.
I think you're right about that. A brief perusal of WNJC's FCC filings suggests that if this DX test is actually being run using WNJC's full directional array at 5kW, it may well be the first time that system's been used since it was installed decades ago.

Does anyone know how long the test lasted? I tunned to 1360 at around 3:15AM CDT and hung out there for about a half hour. A jumbled mess most of the time, but WSAI did break through a few times. All of which were for less than a minute. No WMOB or anything else that I could identify.

BUT, I also did hear some unusual stuff. Beeps, which could have been fragments of morse code, along with various "tones" ascending and descending. I heard the beerps and the "tones" two or three times each durimg the course of the half hour. Bottom line is that I think I may have heard fragments of the test, but I'm really not sure. Assuming, of course, that it was even still going when I tuned in.

In any event, my thanks to SomeRadioGuy for his time and effort for helping arrange the test and making us all aware of it.

What I heard two hours earlier was similar to what you described cyberdad. However, with all of the jumble I couldn't be certain. What I heard for sure was a sports station in and out. I'm guessing that may have been WSAI since that's in the same direction.

What I heard two hours earlier was similar to what you described cyberdad. However, with all of the jumble I couldn't be certain. What I heard for sure was a sports station in and out. I'm guessing that may have been WSAI since that's in the same direction.

as stated multiple times, it was a 6 hour test each night

WNJC was heard here sorta well, not off the GE SR II nor the Grundig 450, but off this:

https://www.upcitemdb.com/upc/40293968793

Reception was best in the CAR RADIO (2008 Chrysler) in the parking lot of the mini mart at 4:08. I brought up WNJC's stream at home and listened to what they were doing, then drove to what I call the New Delhi for a 24-ounce coffee. The place is O&O by an Indian family.

I heard the 'other' sweep tone there, not the steadier whoop but the separated boop-boop-boop-BOOP one. That instance, those tones really cut through everything on 1360 -- the best reception of the session.

4:31 at home here I heard the steadier sweeping one. At 4:55 I caught most of their Morse ID.

One more check, at 5:30, I caught another Morse ID, a full one.

Even though their stream was playing WNJC jingle at random times, i didn't hear that. Just the tones. WPPA Pottsville is right down Route 61 about 7 miles, and even though they send most of their their 500-watt nighttime signal south, they are the main station at night up here, atop the mess most of the time with their CBS sports. Two other stations were there, * probably * WDRC and WSAI.

W o n d e r f u l test broadcast, Duke and Radio Guy ! I never got to tape any of it ; that would have been icing, But it was a swell new addition to the ol' AM log I started all over from 000 since moving here to PA!

Mostly WSAI on top of the channel, but I did hear some sweep tones around 0007 some tones around 0013. Around 0019, maybe some morse code, followed by more tone.

Times are EDT. 09/13/2020. SDR IQ with an amplified Loop antenna.
Acworth GA

I came across this oddity last night while perusing this swell site for nighttime stations on 1360.

http://nf8m.com/pattern_maps/current/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED_1360KHz-1.html

WBLC in Lenoir City, southwest of Knoxville, stood out as an omni station I never had noticed before -- 1000 watts day and night. An old NRC logbook has them as a 1000-watt DAYtimer with a 500-watt pre-sunrise license. How did they wind up as a full-time omni licensed station in the crowded East with the huge WSAI and WDRC and the old (omni) WKAT Miami already there? Their pattern appears to cover, almost entirely, WSAI's land signal, all the way up to Chicago! Is WBLC indeed on the air at night? For what it's worth, they are a complete no-show in the latest Knoxville ratings.

That map depicts rather well the dial situation here in NE PA. WSAI's huge null, pulled in away from WDRC's signal, made it possible for three stations closer to me to occupy 1360 at night in that WSAI void: WPPA Pottsville, * somewhat * co-linear WNJC, and WIXZ McKeesport PA (now WGBN). All of those three are directional at night, of course, pulling it in away from Hartford and Cincinnati and from each other.
Our local WPPA is represented rather well. I've driven through their East null and West null at night trying to hear Phillies-Mets games. What a garbled mess, saved only by the delightful DX-ness of it all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom