• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNCI had 21 minutes of commercials in the 11:00 am hour

I would love to see stations with other formats besides Classical or NPR try the membership route. Classic Rock, AAA, 60s Oldies? Sign me up!

Lots of them. AAA is mainly a non-com format around the country. Oldies is becoming that way because national advertisers don't use music radio to reach the demo. They typically will buy ads on news/talk stations if they want to reach over 65. Public stations are finding AAA is a good secondary music format for them, after classical. If OSU could get another license, I'm sure you'd see them start some form of AAA.

There are threads on in other places about favorite LPFM stations. What we see are professional radio people who retire, start an LPFM, and do whatever they want musically. By law, those stations can't run commercials.

BruceB: I think we will see that in the future. From my years in radio, most pioneers, as I call them, fail because it takes several of them to learn all the elements required for success. But, I think we will see this happen. Some audiences, however, don't think they should have to pay to hear what they want. Classical, of which I am a fan, is an exception. Classical music is typically limited to one choice on the dial. Classical listeners view their station as an oasis on the radio dial they want to preserve. If we can create the same for other types of music, that might be half the battle.

We in radio would love to see this happen (and I sell for a station). As you might know, radio revenue has been down substantially this century. It's not the number of commercials that has caused this but the new media options that have split the advertising pie into so many slices after the number of radio stations in this country roughly tripled. There was an AM/FM in a town of 30,000 I worked in the early 1980s that was easily doing $125,000 a month by today's dollar. By 1993 it was down to $35,000 in today's dollars. At my current station, a grocery store on my list spends 25% of what they did about 1980 not adjusted for inflation. Adjusting for inflation it's more like 4-5% and we are #1 with over 25% of adults in the county listening and the only game in town for local radio. In fact our revenue beats either newspaper in revenue as far as column inch ads go.

Was listening to sister station WTVN the other day. From at 4:20 to 4:35 it was all commercials except for a traffic check and a brief news headline update. I gave up listening at 4:35. Either sales are great or they bonus spot out the wazoo.
The WTVN program you tuned out is available in a podcast. Thought I'd check it out. It started after an ad for a plumber in my town 200 miles from Columbus.

Brings back memories, back in the day, listening to WYSO 91.3 in Yellow Springs Oh.
They were all listener supported and every show was different. Blue Grass, Blues, Jazz, World Music, Reggae/Caribbean. They even had a show featuring Dick Dale and California Surf Music!
Then they sold out to become the NPR affiliate for Dayton. That got them a big power increase and moved their transmitter 12 miles closer to the Dayton Metro. But what a loss. Now just one of three stations I can receive over the air with Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
They were the closest thing in Ohio to WWOZ New Orleans.

Brings back memories, back in the day, listening to WYSO 91.3 in Yellow Springs Oh.
They were all listener supported and every show was different. Blue Grass, Blues, Jazz, World Music, Reggae/Caribbean. They even had a show featuring Dick Dale and California Surf Music!
Then they sold out to become the NPR affiliate for Dayton. That got them a big power increase and moved their transmitter 12 miles closer to the Dayton Metro. But what a loss. Now just one of three stations I can receive over the air with Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
They were the closest thing in Ohio to WWOZ New Orleans.
There is bitterness in Yellow Springs to this very day about the changes at WYSO. I know the story very well. My cousin Tom was their chief engineer. Antioch hired a GM who kicked volunteers out the door. Many had been with WYSO for decades.

There is bitterness in Yellow Springs to this very day about the changes at WYSO. I know the story very well. My cousin Tom was their chief engineer. Antioch hired a GM who kicked volunteers out the door. Many had been with WYSO for decades.
Back in 1972 when I started to listen, they were hard to get in Dayton. I think they were 700 watts, if memory serves.
I had to put a Radio Shack outdoor antenna on my roof but it was worth it.
I was introduced to Blues and Jazz by WYSO.
They were still 91.5 back then.

I was introduced to Blues and Jazz by WYSO.
They were still 91.5 back then.

What has happened to some of these college stations is that the schools have determined that owning radio stations isn't part of their mission, and it's taking money away from instruction. So they've decided to hand over radio operations to groups that can find funding to keep the station afloat with out college money. Lots of small colleges have ended up selling their FM stations to EMF or other religious groups. That was not the case with WYSO. The college sold the station to a community group and kept the station local. The news programming attracts more funding than blues and jazz. I know that for a fact.

I was say I was at KCHU in Dallas. It sounded like WYSO back in the day. They did so poorly they downgraded (KCBI got the KCHU frequency and the surviving entity got the KCBI frequency at lower wattage) after having all their equipment seized to pay bills. They quickly reformed and became KNON. KCHU needed $10 an hour in 1977 to survive. They never came close even with a monthly program guide filled with ads.

Many at WYSO were against the power increases because they believed the station would then focus on Dayton instead of Yellow Springs. WYSO and Yellow Springs were quite left wing back then.

What has happened to some of these college stations is that the schools have determined that owning radio stations isn't part of their mission, and it's taking money away from instruction. So they've decided to hand over radio operations to groups that can find funding to keep the station afloat with out college money. Lots of small colleges have ended up selling their FM stations to EMF or other religious groups. That was not the case with WYSO. The college sold the station to a community group and kept the station local. The news programming attracts more funding than blues and jazz. I know that for a fact.
You are absolutely right, as I pointed out in my post. WYSO joined NPR and got a big power increase and a big increase in their footprint plus money from NPR and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting .
I Said I lamented it, I didn't say I didn't understand it.

Many at WYSO were against the power increases because they believed the station would then focus on Dayton instead of Yellow Springs. WYSO and Yellow Springs were quite left wing back then.
Dutchman : many would say they still are leftist as NPR. My Trump voting friend calls them "The People's Republic of NPR" 😃

WNCI's beauty pageant AQH share has got to be near all-time record low levels. They had a 4.2 share in February. Even when 97.1 was Hot AC years ago drawing healthy shares, I never can remember WNCI dipping below a 6-something.

Perhaps the manner in which commercial loads are played has something to do with that!

I rarely listened to WNCI when I lived there almost 15 years ago and was on the cusp of leaving their demo. Ohio Top 40 stations never had the energy that could be found in other areas of the country. I couldn’t stand the morning show. It was “We’re the shit” typical Columbus arrogance.

Arrogant dick?! That’s a jump and a rather immature one at that. Sorry you took my experience so personally. You did ask the question though, and I simply responded.

I honestly don’t even know what your second paragraph means.
I didn’t call you an arrogant dick, pebbles. Pretty sure you’re the one internalizing here.

The 2nd paragraph is a metaphor for your attitude of dismissing an entire city’s pride (The neighbor) as “arrogance” because their behaviors/attitudes (The steak) didn’t meet your unrealistic, comparative expectations (Mastros).

Anyways, have a good weekend!

I have one more thing to add…..

It isn’t “Ohio State University”, but it’s “The Ohio State University”. 🙄 No other school does that. See what I mean?

Okay, gang. This "pissing contest" about city/civic pride between two towns in Ohio has nothing to do with radio. Let's get back on a radio discussion or this thread will close.

I have deleted several of the "my town is better than your town" posts to try to get back to radio.

I rarely listened to WNCI when I lived there almost 15 years ago and was on the cusp of leaving their demo. Ohio Top 40 stations never had the energy that could be found in other areas of the country. I couldn’t stand the morning show. It was “We’re the shit” typical Columbus arrogance.
You are commenting on one market's and one owner's implementation of a single format. And taking your example of WNCI and converting it to a condemnation of all CHR stations in Ohio.

With no evidence or points of comparison, you are condemning the entire market and state's CHR stations. Yet, despite WKRP's image, Ohio has had some great Top 40 stations going back to WERE, WHK, WIXY and WCOL and WSAI and WCPO. And there were good medium market ones like WHOT in Youngstown and WING in Dayton to name just two.

If you can't post specific comparisons, don't post.

Back
Top Bottom