• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLAN AM 1390

WLAN 1390 was one of my go to stations to listen to music in the 70s. As for the FM side, I enjoyed that to. I still like Easy Listening Instrumentals. It's a shame no one plays it any more. If one FM giant would play Beautiful Music again, it would be a smash, since no one else is doing it.

By the way, when FM was Beautiful Music, wasn't their slogan, "For The Two Of Us"?

I can't see traditional EZ listening making a comeback in today's day and age - ESPECIALLY on FM! The audience (what's left of it), isn't enough to generate anywhere the level of profit needed to keep such an operation on the air! Not long ago, WKTZ - a mainstay in one form or another for five decades in Jacksonville, Florida sold its operations to a religious broadcaster last fall. The fact they lasted as long as they did spoke volumes of the dedication of the staff at that station! During the last few years that the station was on the air finances became thinner and thinner until the powers-that-be decided to pull the plug! Moreover, during Jones College Radio's (former owner of WKTZ and sister station WJAX) final days on terrestrial radio, their Facebook fan club (membership) page had less than 500 likes! When you consider that there were AM stations in smaller markets with about as many members if not more, I feel it says volumes about the appeal (or lack thereof) that the format REALLY had!

Across the country, less than two dozen stations exist doing virtually any form of traditional-EZ. Even if one was to sign on, it would be virtual suicide! Who would listen? Who has signed on with such a format in recent years that has proven successful? How would the station survive? Even if it was listener supported, the funds needed to service the station would be astronomical! We've already seen what happened in Jacksonville; to say nothing of all the traditional-EZs who have perished over the last 30 years! Nevertheless, these questions need to be answered before one could justify signing on such a station! Most large FM stations of said stations today have a large debt to service and I can't see anyone willing to risk a large investment with a format of little to no relevance anymore. As such, I must refute your claim above!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom