• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKVT 92.7 Brattleboro VT now variety hits as Bratt 92.7

I usually listen to WTSA-FM 96.7 of Brattleboro when I'm up that way. I think they're considered a Hot A/C station. How would 92.7 be any different than that of nearby WKNE-FM 103.7 of Keene, NH? :confused:

If I could listen to it via a stream I could probably tell...I don't live in area but go up there once in awhile. Since they're being labelled variety hits and the "we play everything" slogan is on the site, it may be a slightly-bigger-variety mix of classic hits and maybe some AC, don't know.

Checked site for WKNE-FM. I believe both are Saga stations but WKNE-FM has a Listen Live button. The song history mentioned stuff like Justin Timberlake, Pink, and Ed Sheeran. Again if I could actually hear WKVT-FM at the moment,
I could judge...

There have been some variety hits type stations with nickname like Jack or Frank or Mike. At one point what was WMKK-FM 93.7 Lawrence MA called themselves Mike and played classic hits but with some oh-wow haven't-heard-in-awhile tunes or offbeat stuff but eventually it just wound up pretty much classic hits with a narrow playlist of favorites.

Last song was Free Bird. They became the new home of WEEI 850 Boston (as WEEI-FM), as competitor 98.5 The Sports Hub started to clobber WEEI (AM) in the ratings and an FM move was needed.

I have family in Lebanon, NH, and will be heading up there on Friday. I'll try to remember to give it a listen while in the Brattleboro area, which is where I usually stop for breakfast.

RadioInsight described it as Variety Hits but Scott Fybush calls it Adult Hits on NERW.I have asked Scott on Facebook which is it, or are they the same thing...I saw them say "We Play Everything" on their site and wondered if that was like what Boston area had with Mike 93.7 years ago, classic hits with some oh wows, or is it more like more recent stuff like 80s-90s-00s or slightly like adult contemporary?

Scott replied Adult Hits and Variety Hits, different terms but same format.

As promised, here's my report from this morning's drive up I-91. I listened for about 45 minutes and what I heard was mainly '70s and '80s pop/rock hits -- Howard Jones' "No One Is To Blame," Tom Petty's "American Girl," Blondie's "Heart of Glass," REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling," Ringo Starr's "It Don't Come Easy." The only '90s title heard was Natalie Merchant's "Carnival."

A couple of surprises: "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood and "Best of My Love" by the Emotions. Never having had an adult hits/Jack format here in the Hartford/New Haven market, I don't know whether those songs are unusual or not.

As you can see, all the songs are big hits, so I guess the playlist is a mile wide and an inch deep, as others have described similar stations.

That all sounds to me like Classic Hits. It's all 70s and 80s music (plus Merchant's 1995 song). All of them sound like what you could hear on a Top 40 station in those days. Jones, Greenwood and The Emotions were never heard on rock stations.

I think to call it Adult Hits or Variety Hits, there would have to be more rock songs, including songs that never crossed over to the Top 20. I think WKVT-FM might be trying to act like an Adult Hits station, while not really being one. Similar to the Frank-FM stations in Northern New England, Portland, Nashua and a few other places.

That all sounds to me like Classic Hits. It's all 70s and 80s music (plus Merchant's 1995 song). All of them sound like what you could hear on a Top 40 station in those days. Jones, Greenwood and The Emotions were never heard on rock stations.

I think to call it Adult Hits or Variety Hits, there would have to be more rock songs, including songs that never crossed over to the Top 20. I think WKVT-FM might be trying to act like an Adult Hits station, while not really being one. Similar to the Frank-FM stations in Northern New England, Portland, Nashua and a few other places.

Return trip this morning confirms your analysis. 45 minutes, only one '90s title (Boyz II Men, "I'll Make Love To You," 1994), everything else '70s and '80s, oldest being Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night" and most recent being Janet Jackson's "Miss You Much." It's definitely classic hits, leaning pop, with early and mid-'80s at its core. I'm 62, but I like it. Reminds me of the fun early years of MTV.

And I guess 1490 WKVT is now WINQ (AM), apparently ditching its longtime progressive talk format...which has slowly ebbed away from various places.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom