• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKRC - 550-AM - Reception

Does anyone else notice the reception of WKRC Radio - 550-AM - is much less than it used to be? Both during the day and also at night, there just seems to be a weakness of its signal in many parts of the Greater Cincinnati area.

If I may, I go back to when WKRC-AM had a top-rated line-up of: Stan Matlock, Jerry Thomas, Bob Jones and Ted McKay along with originating the games of: the Reds, Royals and UC football & basketball and could be easily heard some 50 miles or more from towers on top of the Hotel Alms in the Walnut Hills section of Cincinnati. Its programming is obviously much different now and so it appears is the signal.

I remember when WKRC made the transmitter move from "Cincinnati's hilltop hotel" to Cold Springs KY. Afterwards their signal was never as good on the west side of Cincinnati. By contrast, when I lived in St. Louis, 55KSD (now 550 KTRS) had a much more robust daytime signal.

Ted McKay's Partyline was probably one of the first talk shows in the country with listener participation. Back in that era, WKRC was also the flagship for the Burger Beer Baseball Network.

In the late 1960's WSAI 1360 had a transmitter fire. After the facility was restored with a new transmitter their signal, especially at night, was never the same.

Last edited:
1530's night time signal has been weak for me the last month or two for some reason. I know WKRC had issue a few weeks ago with their transmitter and low audio. that has since been resolved.

1530's night time signal has been weak for me the last month or two for some reason. I know WKRC had issue a few weeks ago with their transmitter and low audio. that has since been resolved.

Yet I can hear 1530 at night in Southeastern Wyoming a few nights a week.. not always so great but it's there.

Maybe it's just this time of year that is affecting AM reception then. That's odd that your hearing them in Wyoming since they are supposed to beam the night signal to the South and not out west because of Sacramento having a 50kw 1530 clear channel signal.

Maybe it's just this time of year that is affecting AM reception then. That's odd that your hearing them in Wyoming since they are supposed to beam the night signal to the South and not out west because of Sacramento having a 50kw 1530 clear channel signal.

like i said, its often not very good, but i know its them

Seems like I recall that WCKY does not go directional until time of sunset in Sacramento, so perhaps SomeRadioGuy is hearing them before the pattern switch.

I've heard WKRC about the same as usual around Columbus every time I've checked. Groundwave is decreasing a bit this time of year because of warmer temperatures, but it usually has a solid daytime signal (less so than to the west because they do throw a shallow null at Buffalo's WGR).
Nighttime, it completely disappears.

Blows my mind it's being picked up in Wyoming! I live out near 74/275 and I've noticed weaker reception for quite awhile. Used to be on par with WLW. Now, not at all.

Blows my mind it's being picked up in Wyoming! I live out near 74/275 and I've noticed weaker reception for quite awhile. Used to be on par with WLW. Now, not at all.

One day when i have good reception here in Wyoming, i'll record a bit of 1530 Cincy and post it here

Long-distance reception of WCKY over the years has its stories much like that of WLW. Please do try and post a recording of it from Wyoming. WCKY's signal change when its sundown in Sacramento has been going on for over 50 years.

Long-distance reception of WCKY over the years has its stories much like that of WLW. Please do try and post a recording of it from Wyoming. WCKY's signal change when its sundown in Sacramento has been going on for over 50 years.

I've obviously heard WLW too, and at times, very good... better then even a seasoned dxer liek i would expect to hear it.

I mean, i expect to hear WLW, but not as well as i do sometimes

Just want to add about WKRC reception. Last night after 10 P.M. I put on WKRC. The signal was weak and behind the talking on the show, music was heard; like another station coming in on 550.

Don't know about recently, but I used to listen to WAME in Statesville NC a lot more than I do now. In an area where I could pick up that station during the day, it was getting close to dark and I picked up WKRC.

Just want to add about WKRC reception. Last night after 10 P.M. I put on WKRC. The signal was weak and behind the talking on the show, music was heard; like another station coming in on 550.

Huh, only station I've ever heard under KRC was WGR ESPN out of Buffalo. Maybe there's a Cuban station or something like that blasting up here.

In driving northeast out of downtown Cincinnati late last (Thursday) night, there seemed to be a definite drop-off in WKRC's signal once I reached the Kenwood area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom