• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WKDL, Clarksdale's Other AM

ronbo said:
I worked there in the late 70's on a secret LMA for Eddie Fritts and 2 lawyers who's names escape me in my old age. I was working at KCRI-FM i8n Helena, Ark.when I got the offer. Dudley Evans of WRBC fame, (or infamy) was the GM in Helena at the time.
You were right about the board. Cueing was an adventure. John Bell Williams Jr. worked there with me and the guy that came in, after I moved back to Vicksburg, died in the production room. I remember I was offered sweat equity in the station, until someone told me I'd be liable for a percentage of the debt also.
If any one can fill in the blanks, I'd appreciate it.

By the way, I learmed more about radio from Eddie Fritts in the 2 years I worked for him, than anyone since.

You are absolutely right, their GM who's name I never knew, died right there on the production room floor while pulling albums. He was also pulling a shift when this happened. I was working crosstown at WROX for Tom Reardon at the time. Mr. Reardon came to me just as I was finishing my mid-day gig. He told me the GM at KDL had died on the air and there was nobody handy to run the board. Could I go try to help them out? I said sure I would. I was all of 18 and an all-out radio trooper at the time. So I headed out across to town to the bottom of the Bobo Building to help a fellow broadcaster in need and because I needed brownie points with the Lord.. Well, I get their and "dude" is still on premises and still rather dead. But the paramedics had him removed shortly thereafter. All this time I had just sat down to control a board I had absolutely no clue about. And I was live! I regained some semblance of " professional radio composure" within about 10 minutes and simply tracked 45's all afternoon long until daytime sign-off. Then I hauled aarse to Mempho for a Journey/Think Lizzy/Eddie Money concert at the Coliseum. That was one strange day in my life. One I'll not soon forget. And I never did get paid for that :)

And I've also long since believed that board had ghosts. I'm glad I'm not the only who thought so.

Clarksdale may be a #O%*$Y$#*Yhole but there are other communities in the Delta that have gone the same way. Greenville use to be a wonderful community on the river and now it looks like a war zone. Larry Fuss has his hands full with that group of stations in The Delta. Larry is a good operator and if anybody can make a go of it .. he can! Operating the stations on the cheap side with some degree of professionalism and a sales team that can find a few buyers here and there will keep him out of the "poor house". Good luck Larry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom