• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

With Help From Radio Crossovers, Country Rivals Pop's Share Of Hot 100's Top 10.

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
From "Inside Audio Marketing"

Listeners of CHR, adult contemporary and hot AC stations might have noticed a slight difference in each format's current hit mix this year, that difference being the impact of country music. Country's share of all primary song genres in the Billboard Hot 100's top 10 jumped up to 21% during the first nine months of 2023, tying pop's share according to song analytics firm Hit Songs Deconstructed.

From "Inside Audio Marketing"

Listeners of CHR, adult contemporary and hot AC stations might have noticed a slight difference in each format's current hit mix this year, that difference being the impact of country music. Country's share of all primary song genres in the Billboard Hot 100's top 10 jumped up to 21% during the first nine months of 2023, tying pop's share according to song analytics firm Hit Songs Deconstructed.
Guess this means at least three more country music awards shows this upcoming TV season..

The thing to note about the songs listed in this article is that none of them are traditional country songs, and none of the artists are traditional country artists who wear cowboy hats. The Combs song was originally written and recorded as a pop song. The only thing that makes them country is they were created in Nashville. But there have been a lot of pop songs created in Nashville, going back to Elvis in 1956.

The reason why country is the "big gainer," according to the article, is that country is a big tent, willing to accept artists from other genres and incorporate different styles into their music.

The thing to note about the songs listed in this article is that none of them are traditional country songs, and none of the artists are traditional country artists who wear cowboy hats. The Combs song was originally written and recorded as a pop song. The only thing that makes them country is they were created in Nashville. But there have been a lot of pop songs created in Nashville, going back to Elvis in 1956.

The reason why country is the "big gainer," according to the article, is that country is a big tent, willing to accept artists from other genres and incorporate different styles into their music.
Even if country radio consistently stymies Nashville's attempts to jump start the careers of minority artists or get more than a half dozen songs by female artists in the top 50 at any one time. It's frustrating, although if testing is really showing that country listeners don't want to hear Black people sing country music or women (except for Lainey Wilson and Megan Moroney right now; Carly Pearce, so hot just a year ago, appears to have a huge stiff of a single on her hands, despite Chris Stapleton's guest vocal) sing anything at all, what can anyone do about it? Especially since more people are listening to what country radio is playing than ever before, and women themselves seem to prefer looking at and listening to handsome hunky men over women of any description.

Even if country radio consistently stymies Nashville's attempts to jump start the careers of minority artists or get more than a half dozen songs by female artists in the top 50 at any one time.

I don't understand the quota system. Nobody attacks alternative rock for its lack of women. It's a very male genre. Or lack of minorities. But it gets a pass from the music critics, while they attack country. The reality is that when women make authentic music, and present it directly and without a lot of flash and fashion, it gets accepted and played. But there's no reason for country radio to do what Lesie Fram at CMT talks about, and play 50-50 male female. Just play GOOD music, and forget about who's making it.

Reba said this best. Her message to women was 'I want to be your friend.' She made music that was unthreatening to women. Same with Shania. Same with Gretchen Wilson. Even Dolly Parton is so disarming, especially with Jolene, that women become fans.
Jelly Roll?

Exactly. In fact I've seen a half dozen overweight singers in just the past month, from Luke Combs to Nate Smith to Shane Profitt. They all are great SINGERS, and that's what gets them played, not their appearance.

Exactly. In fact I've seen a half dozen overweight singers in just the past month, from Luke Combs to Nate Smith to Shane Profitt. They all are great SINGERS, and that's what gets them played, not their appearance.
If appearance took precedence over talent, how did the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Janis Joplin, Meat Loaf, Leslie West (speaking of fat), Weird Al, among many others, do so well?

Then there's Bob Dylan, who not only isn't exactly Mr. America in the looks department, but he sings even worse, especially in his early years. But he's (IMHO) America's greatest songwriter, at least in our lifetime, and gets away with the rest because his songs are so good.

If one sticks to strictly country, Kenny Price was a big guy and had a great career back in the day.

Exactly. In fact I've seen a half dozen overweight singers in just the past month, from Luke Combs to Nate Smith to Shane Profitt.
I see what you did there. A half dozen equals three -- each fat guy counts twice. Nice. Consider opinions from the 260-pound yours truly worth twice as much, then.

I see what you did there. A half dozen equals three -- each fat guy counts twice. Nice. Consider opinions from the 260-pound yours truly worth twice as much, then.

Not what I meant. Here are some more: Dalton Dover, War & Treaty (husband & wife duo), Elle King.

I can come up with more if you like. Women don't restrict themselves to "handsome hunky men."

If appearance took precedence over talent, how did the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Janis Joplin, Meat Loaf, Leslie West (speaking of fat), Weird Al, among many others, do so well?
How could I have forgotten Kate Smith and Cass Elliot? Both were morbidly obese, but their talent as singers overshadowed their appearance. Both were stars in their eras. Nobody cared about their weight, and it didn't matter one bit on the radio or on a record, anyway.

As it should be.

Women don't restrict themselves to "handsome hunky men."
:sneaky: My wife, formerly an LA TV anchor and Mexican move artist, can attest to that: she accepted me!

Nobody attacks alternative rock for its lack of women. It's a very male genre.

The same goes for active rock. I'm a woman and it doesn't bother me one bit that most of the music I listen is by men. Lzzy (sic) Hale, Taylor Momsen and Amy Lee are the only women I can think of that receive airplay on my local active rock station. I'm sure more female artists would be welcome if their material fit the criteria. I would certainly hope the station wouldn't water down the format just to meet quotas!

But there's no reason for country radio to do what Lesie Fram at CMT talks about, and play 50-50 male female. Just play GOOD music, and forget about who's making it.

Just like what I said above about active rock: females should be welcome in country music if their product proves they deserve to be there. There's no glory in ticking boxes.

Rod Stewart doesn't belong on this list. Rod the Mod was smokin' hot!!

I know, right? How long did it take before she realized you worked in radio?
Since I hired her long before that, she already knew.

Back
Top Bottom